Forums: Community: The Soap Box:
Short Video Script - Thoughts?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Soap Box

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


Dustdingo


Jun 14, 2011, 3:52 PM
Post #1 of 36 (3401 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 2

Short Video Script - Thoughts?
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello everyone,

I'll openly admit that I've never been full scale mountain climbing before. That being said, it's something I've always wanted to do and certainly hope to do sometime.

I didn't post this under the soapbox because it's not intended to discuss religion - it's intended to discuss mountain climbing and how I've portrayed it in this script.

I'm currently working on a short video that is aimed at the church world. In it, I discuss how faith is more like a mountain climb than a balloon ride. The question I pose for this group is, what sort of thoughts do you have on either the script or how mountain climbing is portrayed? I aim to accurately show what mountain climbing is like, so if I have described something incorrectly or there is a method that comes to mind that would illustrate my point, go for it! Overall I'm just looking for any input you guys may have. I appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks for your time!

SCRIPT:

Wouldn't it be great if Christian life was like riding a hot air balloon? The hardest part of the ride is the setup. You need to get your basket ready, make sure the balloon is in order, and then you have to inflate it. Once it's inflated, though, you're done. All you do is release the weights and off you go! The balloon continues to take you higher and higher all on its own. The longer you're in the balloon, the higher you go.
 
Many people view Christianity like that balloon ride. Once you become a Christian, your balloon is off. They think that the longer you're in the church, the closer you become to God, regardless of personal actions.
 
Now think of a mountain climb. You need to work to scale the mountain. One step at a time, one hand over the other, you slowly make it towards the top. The climb gets easier when you work with another climber, but it's never simple.

In reality, our Christian walk is more like that mountain climb. God is always right there willing to give us a hand with our climb, but unless we do the work, we won't get closer to Him. Our climb is made easier when we are in fellowship with other Christians, encouraging one another in our daily walks. It is through our actions, reading our Bible, sharing the Truth, and living more like Christ, that we are able to ascend that mountain and get closer to God.

So what's your ascent look like?


clc


Jun 14, 2011, 9:10 PM
Post #2 of 36 (3360 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 12, 2005
Posts: 495

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh fuck


jbone


Jun 14, 2011, 9:48 PM
Post #3 of 36 (3347 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2002
Posts: 460

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is it that the worlds best salesman are all peddling religion?

Climbing has nothing to do with impressing your conceited ideologies throughout mankind. Climbing is the fresh mountain air while Christianity is the pollution that blows through it.


I_do


Jun 14, 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #4 of 36 (3338 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 2, 2008
Posts: 1232

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dustdingo wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'll openly admit that I've never been full scale mountain climbing before. That being said, it's something I've always wanted to do and certainly hope to do sometime.

I didn't post this under the soapbox because it's not intended to discuss religion - it's intended to discuss mountain climbing and how I've portrayed it in this script.

I'm currently working on a short video that is aimed at the church world. In it, I discuss how faith is more like a mountain climb than a balloon ride. The question I pose for this group is, what sort of thoughts do you have on either the script or how mountain climbing is portrayed? I aim to accurately show what mountain climbing is like, so if I have described something incorrectly or there is a method that comes to mind that would illustrate my point, go for it! Overall I'm just looking for any input you guys may have. I appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks for your time!

SCRIPT:

Wouldn't it be great if Christian life was like riding a hot air balloon? The hardest part of the ride is the setup. You need to get your basket ready, make sure the balloon is in order, and then you have to inflate it. Once it's inflated, though, you're done. All you do is release the weights and off you go! The balloon continues to take you higher and higher all on its own. The longer you're in the balloon, the higher you go.
 
Many people view Christianity like that balloon ride. Once you become a Christian, your balloon is off. They think that the longer you're in the church, the closer you become to God, regardless of personal actions.
 
Now think of a mountain climb. You need to work to scale the mountain. One step at a time, one hand over the other, you slowly make it towards the top. The climb gets easier when you work with another climber, but it's never simple.

In reality, our Christian walk is more like that mountain climb. God is always right there willing to give us a hand with our climb, but unless we do the work, we won't get closer to Him. Our climb is made easier when we are in fellowship with other Christians, encouraging one another in our daily walks. It is through our actions, reading our Bible, sharing the Truth, and living more like Christ, that we are able to ascend that mountain and get closer to God.

So what's your ascent look like?

God would be in base camp with a broken radio.


Partner devkrev


Jun 15, 2011, 6:41 AM
Post #5 of 36 (3306 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 933

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing is one of the most selfish endeavours imaginable. The excuses climbers make to keep doing tend along "it makes me a better person for my friends/family/whatever"

All we are are "Conquistadors of the Useless" and I don't think that is the point you are trying to make. At least if you dig a hole, you've actually accomplished something real.


dev


sbaclimber


Jun 15, 2011, 6:58 AM
Post #6 of 36 (3301 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3060

Re: [devkrev] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
All we are are "Conquistadors of the Useless" and I don't think that is the point you are trying to make
Well....he is comparing climbing a mountain to living a life. Humanity hasn't figured out the meaning of life yet, so in a way, it could also be considered "useless".
Ergo, he might not be all that far off. Tongue


Partner devkrev


Jun 15, 2011, 7:11 AM
Post #7 of 36 (3295 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Posts: 933

Re: [sbaclimber] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:
devkrev wrote:
All we are are "Conquistadors of the Useless" and I don't think that is the point you are trying to make
Well....he is comparing climbing a mountain to living a life. Humanity hasn't figured out the meaning of life yet, so in a way, it could also be considered "useless".
Ergo, he might not be all that far off. Tongue


I think he is comparing mountain climbing not to living life, but to doing God's will(I think...)


dev


sbaclimber


Jun 15, 2011, 7:18 AM
Post #8 of 36 (3294 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Posts: 3060

Re: [devkrev] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

devkrev wrote:
I think he is comparing mountain climbing not to living life, but to doing God's will
Hehe, I see what you did there....


Partner philbox
Moderator

Jun 15, 2011, 9:07 PM
Post #9 of 36 (3227 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 26, 2002
Posts: 13104

Re: [sbaclimber] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you spend enough time in the mountains or way out on the pointy end doing some rad route you will meet your maker in the most personal way there is. I can bet pounds to peanuts that all the hard men climbers at one stage or another have prayed to God that they will never ever do what they are doing if only they can survive.

I'm not a hard man but I have definitely prayed for my life whilst out on the pointy end, usually goes along with sewing machine leg and doing the Elvis, go on, you all know what I am talking about and more than likely if you have been pushing yourself, particularly on trad on really scary and loose country you would have done it too. Don't lie now. Be honest, spit on your hand and hope to die, oh, woops, bad saying. Laugh


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Jun 15, 2011, 9:28 PM
Post #10 of 36 (3223 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [philbox] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Totally with ya, Phil.


TarHeelEMT


Jun 15, 2011, 9:52 PM
Post #11 of 36 (3215 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 20, 2009
Posts: 724

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry that we're being dicks. I'm as hellbound as anyone else here, but damn...

You really didn't get too into the details of climbing, so yeah, it works.


(This post was edited by TarHeelEMT on Jun 15, 2011, 9:53 PM)


Dustdingo


Jun 16, 2011, 1:52 PM
Post #12 of 36 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 2

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Philbox, squierbypetzl and TarHeelEMT -

Thank you very much for the input you were able to give. That helps me a bit with working on the script. I also appreciate your kind response to the post. Regardless if you believe with the religious point made, I had more so wanted to see if the way I described climbing made sense and went in line with the culture. The notes you gave helped me to make a few tweaks.


jomagam


Jun 16, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #13 of 36 (3157 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So living a Christian life is like rock climbing in that it's not easy and it's better not to go along it alone. That's not a very powerful parallel. I'd draw comparisons with stuff that I actually have experience with and know well. Once I attended a wedding where the priest who never rock climbed wanted to be cutesy and drew this parabole with rock climbing and ropes, but half of it made no sense. Stick to what you know about.


aprice00


Jun 16, 2011, 2:47 PM
Post #14 of 36 (3145 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 6, 2010
Posts: 166

Re: [jomagam] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
So living a Christian life is like rock climbing in that it's not easy and it's better not to go along it alone. That's not a very powerful parallel. I'd draw comparisons with stuff that I actually have experience with and know well. Once I attended a wedding where the priest who never rock climbed wanted to be cutesy and drew this parabole with rock climbing and ropes, but half of it made no sense. Stick to what you know about.

I think it might be more like Cooking or water skiing


Bag11s


Jun 16, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #15 of 36 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 8, 2009
Posts: 98

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Even if you stick with what you think you know about, you are still a misguided idiot. God is a human invention not the other way around. There is no God out there willing to give you a hand. Your personal and social problems may be made easier when in fellowship with others of your misguided ilk, but your all encouraging actions, bible, and truth won't get you closer to understanding a majority of the people on this planet, and will likely keep you from appreciating our wide social diversity and most likely also keep you from understanding Earth's natural history and its cosmological place. Our species has invented all sorts of mythologies, this christian thing is a tiny and, in the long run, insignificant blip on humanity's radar. It doesn't matter how accurately or inaccurately you protray the climbing in your film- the basic storyline is pure fiction anyway.


jomagam


Jun 16, 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #16 of 36 (3119 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [Bag11s] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bag11s wrote:
Even if you stick with what you think you know about, you are still a misguided idiot. God is a human invention not the other way around. There is no God out there willing to give you a hand. Your personal and social problems may be made easier when in fellowship with others of your misguided ilk, but your all encouraging actions, bible, and truth won't get you closer to understanding a majority of the people on this planet, and will likely keep you from appreciating our wide social diversity and most likely also keep you from understanding Earth's natural history and its cosmological place. Our species has invented all sorts of mythologies, this christian thing is a tiny and, in the long run, insignificant blip on humanity's radar. It doesn't matter how accurately or inaccurately you protray the climbing in your film- the basic storyline is pure fiction anyway.

Can I be an atheist and still think you're a d*ck ?


porthillsclimber


Jun 16, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #17 of 36 (3119 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 17, 2006
Posts: 25

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
but unless we do the work, we won't get closer to Him

God can't be a her?


Bag11s


Jun 16, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #18 of 36 (3115 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 8, 2009
Posts: 98

Re: [jomagam] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well of course, you can think whatever you like.


squierbypetzl
Moderator

Jun 16, 2011, 5:57 PM
Post #19 of 36 (3094 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 6, 2005
Posts: 3431

Re: [Bag11s] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Time for some soap(box).


Toast_in_the_Machine


Jun 16, 2011, 8:28 PM
Post #20 of 36 (3085 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [jomagam] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
Bag11s wrote:
Even if you stick with what you think you know about, you are still a misguided idiot. God is a human invention not the other way around. There is no God out there willing to give you a hand. Your personal and social problems may be made easier when in fellowship with others of your misguided ilk, but your all encouraging actions, bible, and truth won't get you closer to understanding a majority of the people on this planet, and will likely keep you from appreciating our wide social diversity and most likely also keep you from understanding Earth's natural history and its cosmological place. Our species has invented all sorts of mythologies, this christian thing is a tiny and, in the long run, insignificant blip on humanity's radar. It doesn't matter how accurately or inaccurately you protray the climbing in your film- the basic storyline is pure fiction anyway.

Can I be an atheist and still think you're a d*ck ?

Shorter version: when telling fairy tales, why worry about how well the theoretical anchor is equalized.


iknowfear


Jun 17, 2011, 2:31 AM
Post #21 of 36 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 8, 2004
Posts: 633

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
jomagam wrote:
Bag11s wrote:
Even if you stick with what you think you know about, you are still a misguided idiot. God is a human invention not the other way around. There is no God out there willing to give you a hand. Your personal and social problems may be made easier when in fellowship with others of your misguided ilk, but your all encouraging actions, bible, and truth won't get you closer to understanding a majority of the people on this planet, and will likely keep you from appreciating our wide social diversity and most likely also keep you from understanding Earth's natural history and its cosmological place. Our species has invented all sorts of mythologies, this christian thing is a tiny and, in the long run, insignificant blip on humanity's radar. It doesn't matter how accurately or inaccurately you protray the climbing in your film- the basic storyline is pure fiction anyway.

Can I be an atheist and still think you're a d*ck ?

Shorter version: when telling fairy tales, why worry about how well the theoretical anchor is equalized.

because of the fall factor.


Toast_in_the_Machine


Jun 17, 2011, 4:02 AM
Post #22 of 36 (3062 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 11, 2008
Posts: 5184

Re: [iknowfear] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iknowfear wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
jomagam wrote:
Bag11s wrote:
Even if you stick with what you think you know about, you are still a misguided idiot. God is a human invention not the other way around. There is no God out there willing to give you a hand. Your personal and social problems may be made easier when in fellowship with others of your misguided ilk, but your all encouraging actions, bible, and truth won't get you closer to understanding a majority of the people on this planet, and will likely keep you from appreciating our wide social diversity and most likely also keep you from understanding Earth's natural history and its cosmological place. Our species has invented all sorts of mythologies, this christian thing is a tiny and, in the long run, insignificant blip on humanity's radar. It doesn't matter how accurately or inaccurately you protray the climbing in your film- the basic storyline is pure fiction anyway.

Can I be an atheist and still think you're a d*ck ?

Shorter version: when telling fairy tales, why worry about how well the theoretical anchor is equalized.

because of the fall factor.

I can see the review now

dudereview wrote:
Like, dude, I so totally bought that whole god concept up to the point in the movie where Mary Mag popped off the wall at the start of P4. She clearly had a passed up a perfect place for her to put on a bomber Jesus nut, and then there is no way that that anchor would have held that fall, and to top it off, Peter was using a Grigri threaded backwards


Partner j_ung


Jun 17, 2011, 5:11 AM
Post #23 of 36 (3057 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [jomagam] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
Bag11s wrote:
Even if you stick with what you think you know about, you are still a misguided idiot. God is a human invention not the other way around. There is no God out there willing to give you a hand. Your personal and social problems may be made easier when in fellowship with others of your misguided ilk, but your all encouraging actions, bible, and truth won't get you closer to understanding a majority of the people on this planet, and will likely keep you from appreciating our wide social diversity and most likely also keep you from understanding Earth's natural history and its cosmological place. Our species has invented all sorts of mythologies, this christian thing is a tiny and, in the long run, insignificant blip on humanity's radar. It doesn't matter how accurately or inaccurately you protray the climbing in your film- the basic storyline is pure fiction anyway.

Can I be an atheist and still think you're a d*ck ?

Yes.

Dustdingo, please just stop calling it "mountain climbing."


jt512


Jun 17, 2011, 2:24 PM
Post #24 of 36 (3023 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21887

Re: [Dustdingo] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dustdingo wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'll openly admit that I've never been full scale mountain climbing before. That being said, it's something I've always wanted to do and certainly hope to do sometime.

I didn't post this under the soapbox because it's not intended to discuss religion

SCRIPT:

Wouldn't it be great if Christian life was like riding a hot air balloon?

I thought Christians weren't supposed to lie.


spikeddem


Jun 17, 2011, 2:50 PM
Post #25 of 36 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 27, 2007
Posts: 6319

Re: [jt512] Short Video Script - Thoughts? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Dustdingo wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'll openly admit that I've never been full scale mountain climbing before. That being said, it's something I've always wanted to do and certainly hope to do sometime.

I didn't post this under the soapbox because it's not intended to discuss religion

SCRIPT:

Wouldn't it be great if Christian life was like riding a hot air balloon?

I thought Christians weren't supposed to lie.

Certain things get overlooked in Christianity these days. Molesting children, for example.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$152.95 (10% off)
$6.84 (10% off)
$40.46 (10% off)
$89.96 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook