RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

katen

Jun 11, 2011, 4:26 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2249 views)
Shortcut

when can I get back to climbing with a broken forearm with metal plates
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I have broken two bones in my left forearm. One of them has only one fracture but other one has four. They put a metal plate to each bone. The doctors said the plaster will remain 6-8 weeks and the plates will probably remain two years. I wonder when I can get back to climbing. Do metal plates cause pain when climbing? Do the plates restrict my motions? How can I speed the healing process? Is there anyone who had similar injury or anyone to help me?

squierbypetzl

Jun 15, 2011, 8:47 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [katen] when can I get back to climbing with a broken forearm with metal plates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

You should've asked the doctor that. I've known skateboarders who go at it with plates in their shins, but it doesn't seem like a great idea to me. What's 2 years of doing something else in contrast with messing up your arm for the rest of your life?

They'll have you doing exercises after the cast comes off to help your atrophied muscles get back into shape. Ask your physical therapist or whoever oversees your treatment if you can toprope some easy stuff after a few weeks. Only they can give you an answer since only they know your full diagnosis.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Jun 15, 2011, 8:52 AM)

jjanowia

Jun 15, 2011, 1:52 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [katen] when can I get back to climbing with a broken forearm with metal plates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It really depends on the fracture.

My experience: MTB accident, compound fracture of both radius and ulna, and ulna poking outta the skin (it was gross).

I was prescribed physical therapy for about 10 weeks starting pretty soon after surgery. At the end of the 10 weeks, I could more or less do a couple of pushups.

I was able to comfortably go back to the gym about 4 months out. The plates probably won't cause you much pain if they were simply joining the big bones back together.

YMMV, but generally speaking plating the big bones back together heals pretty well. Fractures of the elbow or the little wrist bones usually involve a lengthier recovery time.

Don't skimp on the physical therapy.

(This post was edited by jjanowia on Jun 15, 2011, 1:52 PM)

katen

Jun 15, 2011, 8:44 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jjanowia] when can I get back to climbing with a broken forearm with metal plates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for sharing your experience. I have fractures radius and ulna either, not in articulations. I think i will start physical therapy in 1 or 2 weeks. I hope it heals me quickly.
In reply to:

katen

Jun 15, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] when can I get back to climbing with a broken forearm with metal plates [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you for replying. i know i should ask a doktor and i have asked already. :) but i just want to hear from who have had the same thing and wonder how the recovery is. the doctor haven't said a certain date to start climbing yet.
In reply to:

onceahardman

Jun 17, 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2109 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a question for the doc. Squier gave you a great answer.

rtwilli4

Jun 23, 2011, 11:57 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2036 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll add that you should explain in detail what you expect to be able to do with your arm after recovery. You should even go as far as to show your PT a picture or video of someone climbing. You have to make them push you if you want to make a full recovery and you must do the exercises that they prescribe. Ask if it's OK to do them at home (and it is, so you should). There is no way that your insurance company is going to pay for the amount of PT that it will take for you to make a full climber's recovery so you have to do some of the work yourself.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook