Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Visiting Washington DC soon, Advice?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mcbair25

Jun 15, 2011, 8:58 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1023 views)
Shortcut

Visiting Washington DC soon, Advice?  (North_America: United_States: Maryland: Central__Md_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any advice for local bouldering near DC? Looking to send V0- V6 Blush

Going at the end of June

cclarke

Jun 15, 2011, 9:22 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mcbair25] Visiting Washington DC soon, Advice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would drive to Coopers Rock in WV about 3.5 hrs or so. Very good bouldering there.

Some people like Northwest Branch bouldering which is close to DC. Carderock is an option. There are a bunch of small and weird places to boulder, most of which aren't worth the effort in my opinion but it depends on how bad you want it. Try Rock Creek Park below the Italian Embassy but don't exect too much.

Prepare for heat and humidity, although Coopers can offer quite good conditions at that time of year.

There are two gym accessible by public transportation - Sportrock and Earthtreks -- which have good indoor bouldering.

RClose78

Jun 15, 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #3 of 3 (996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mcbair25] Visiting Washington DC soon, Advice? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed on Coopers being some of the better bouldering around. Old Rag also has some decent bouldering, and might be a bit shorter of a drive. Or head north to Governors Stable, which has a membership fee, but I've heard is close to the quality of Coopers.

As for closer bouldering, Northwest Branch is definitely the most developed area. A few really great problems there after sorting through several that aren't so good. I also like the bouldering at Rocks State Park and at Sugarloaf Mountain, plus some of the smaller areas out by Frederick.

If you decide to check out NWB, you can still access the old Dr. Topo guide by doing a search for Northwest Branch bouldering. I also posted a bunch of info about the area on my blog if it helps. Go to robinclose.blogspot.com and click on the tab at the top that says "Northwest Branch." When you scroll down to the pictures of the boulders, you can click on the names of most of them to pull up pages with more info on those areas. Still only have about 2/3 of the boulders detailed, but hoping to get the rest filled in this summer between trips.

Should be home (Maryland) for the middle 2 weeks of July if you'll still be around and need someone to get out with.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$80.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook