Jun 21, 2011, 9:11 AM
Post #1 of 14 (1008 views)
Shortcut

Here's one way to get health care
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://news.yahoo.com/...medical-care-in-jail

In reply to:
Some people who need medical care but can't afford it go to the emergency room. Others just hope they'll get better. James Richard Verone robbed a bank.

Earlier this month, Verone (pictured), a 59-year-old convenience store clerk, walked into a Gaston, N.C., bank and handed the cashier a note demanding $1 and medical attention. Then he waited calmly for police to show up.

He's now in jail and has an appointment with a doctor this week.

I have nothing against this guy. He lost his job after 17 years, due to no fault of his own. He did what he needed to do.

lena_chita

Jun 21, 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #2 of 14 (994 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Very O.Henry-like.

saint_john

Jun 27, 2011, 1:58 PM
Post #3 of 14 (918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

another way to get health care is to get a job.
I'm just sayin'...
I'm sure the guy could have gotten another job as a store clerk.

petsfed

Jun 27, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #4 of 14 (914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
I'm just sayin'...

If you read the article, his medical conditions and overall age were interfering with his ability to work even part time, let alone full time. I've worked a few part-time jobs where you wouldn't qualify for healthcare unless you put in more than 30 hours a week, or the copay was so high that you couldn't afford it unless you were working full time or nearly full time.

stealth

Jun 28, 2011, 6:45 PM
Post #5 of 14 (860 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
saint_john wrote:
I'm just sayin'...

If you read the article, his medical conditions and overall age were interfering with his ability to work even part time, let alone full time. I've worked a few part-time jobs where you wouldn't qualify for healthcare unless you put in more than 30 hours a week, or the copay was so high that you couldn't afford it unless you were working full time or nearly full time.

My sister married a doctor, got free health care and a big home in Jupiter Island near Tiger Woods.

gunman

Jul 3, 2011, 9:28 PM
Post #6 of 14 (807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stealth] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's not far from Obamacare, maybe he just couldn't wait for that to kick in?

carabiner96

Jul 4, 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #7 of 14 (790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
I'm just sayin'...
I've had several full time (40+ hours a week) jobs that do not include any healthcare, nor did they pay anywhere near enough to purchase private insurance.

Partner j_ung

Jul 4, 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #8 of 14 (787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunman] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunman wrote:

If no jobs offered health care, nobody would complain about "Obamacare." Speaking as somebody who does have to purchase private insurance with a "pre-existing" condition, I'm freaking thrilled that bill finally passed. My only gripe with it is that I have to wait until 2014 before the relevant part of the law kicks in.

squierbypetzl

Jul 4, 2011, 1:54 PM
Post #9 of 14 (778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
gunman wrote:

If no jobs offered health care, nobody would complain about "Obamacare." Speaking as somebody who does have to purchase private insurance with a "pre-existing" condition, I'm freaking thrilled that bill finally passed. My only gripe with it is that I have to wait until 2014 before the relevant part of the law kicks in.

I guess you're gonna have to vote for Obama next year, 'cause neither Hillary nor any of the Repubs seem too fond of publicly funded health care.

petsfed

Jul 4, 2011, 9:59 PM
Post #10 of 14 (770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
j_ung wrote:
gunman wrote:

I guess you're gonna have to vote for Obama next year, 'cause neither Hillary nor any of the Repubs seem too fond of publicly funded health care.

Including Romney.

gunman

Jul 5, 2011, 8:34 AM
Post #11 of 14 (745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The fact is they don't offer health care, they offer you a slight discount on premiums to purchase insurance.

I do not carry insurance, I pay out of pocket. And yes, I can negotiate with the docs and get a lower price then they will tell you the care costs. Ask a doc sometime what they submit to an insurance company and what the insurance actually pays.

We recently had to have a rather common surgery, they told us it would cost x-dollars and asked how we would be paying. Basically they wanted to know if we had insurance. I told them we payed cash and the price almost cut in half.

chadnsc

Jul 5, 2011, 9:05 AM
Post #12 of 14 (737 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunman wrote:
The fact is they don't offer health care, they offer you a slight discount on premiums to purchase insurance.

I do not carry insurance, I pay out of pocket. And yes, I can negotiate with the docs and get a lower price then they will tell you the care costs. Ask a doc sometime what they submit to an insurance company and what the insurance actually pays.

We recently had to have a rather common surgery, they told us it would cost x-dollars and asked how we would be paying. Basically they wanted to know if we had insurance. I told them we payed cash and the price almost cut in half.

While I think that you're exaggerating 'almost cut in half' portion of your comment most health care providers will offer you a discount if your bill is over $1,000 and you pay your bill in full. This discount is normally 10% to 15% depending on the health care provider.

This is done because the health care provider doesn't have to pay staff to manage your account and the provider receives payment immediately. Simply put your health care provider makes more money by offering you a discount and having you pay in full, immediately rather than having you pay your bill in installments.

The discount has nothing to do with you having health insurance or not.

The discount has nothing to do with you 'negotiating' with the doctor to get a lower price.

Edit to fix % typo.

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Jul 5, 2011, 9:06 AM)

gunman

Jul 6, 2011, 8:48 AM
Post #13 of 14 (703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Here's one way to get health care [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, in the example I gave it was nearly a 50% decrease and the doc actually told me if I had insurance that he would have turned in the other amount.

He was rather open about how they did billing with the insurance versus cash payment. I was rather surprised by it myself.

chadnsc

Jul 7, 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #14 of 14 (685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gunman wrote:
Actually, in the example I gave it was nearly a 50% decrease and the doc actually told me if I had insurance that he would have turned in the other amount.

He was rather open about how they did billing with the insurance versus cash payment. I was rather surprised by it myself.

So your doctor is admitting that he overcharges insurance companies? What a fraudulent douchebag.

(This post was edited by chadnsc on Jul 7, 2011, 10:52 AM)

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook