RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

crackmeup

Jun 22, 2011, 6:45 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2697 views)
Shortcut

Cipro and climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been prescribed Cipro as a preventative measure by my doctor (I don't have an infection and I'm generally healthy). I've read that Cipro is believed to increase the chances of tendon injury. I thought I'd ask here just in case there are any doctor/climbers around:

- Should I avoid climbing while on Cipro? If so, when should I climb again? I'm taking it for 5 days.

- Should I avoid running? How about the elliptical machine?

wonderwoman

Jun 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackmeup] Cipro and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am not a doctor, but have been on cipro many times and climbed throughout the prescription. Drink lots of water and protect yourself from the sun. We are all different though, so if you are worried, ask your doctor.

Also, if you are on it for 'preventative' measures, are you recovering from surgery or something? That may be an entirely different reason to rest.

lena_chita

Jun 24, 2011, 11:47 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2624 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was told (by a PT friend) to be extra-careful with warming up slowly and to avoid sudden forcefull explosive-type moves while on cipro. I was too sick to climb, anyway, so it was a moot point.

My understanding that tendon ruptures that happen while taking cipro are VERY rare, and most people who have had the tendon ruptures while on Cipro were not doing anything extreme when they suffered a rupture.

Achilles tendon seems to be a common spot, and the only person I've met (at the same PT's office) who had the Achilles tendon rupture while taking cipro, suffered the rupture when he jumped over a small puddle on a sidewalk while out for a stroll. The guy was in his 60s, at least. Elderly are at increased risk...

And BTW, how have you been? Haven't seen you around here much.

jbk641

Jun 28, 2011, 1:31 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Cipro is know to be associated with tendinopathies and rupture. I have seen three cases involving the quadracep tendon and flexor tendons that I could associate with recent cipro useage. Can only correlate the two because of the history of recently being on the med. I agree however it is rare but a real concern. I definately would not do monos, hangboard training or campusing while on it. And I think I can say confidently that climbers dont need to be on cipro to rupture tendons. That happens everyday due to the nature of the sport. Just be aware the association and dont stack the odds against you

troutboy

Jun 28, 2011, 2:02 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2537 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

crackmeup wrote:
I've been prescribed Cipro as a preventative measure by my doctor (I don't have an infection and I'm generally healthy). I've read that Cipro is believed to increase the chances of tendon injury. I thought I'd ask here just in case there are any doctor/climbers around:

- Should I avoid climbing while on Cipro? If so, when should I climb again? I'm taking it for 5 days.

- Should I avoid running? How about the elliptical machine?

IMHO, you should avoid it, period. Nasty, nasty stuff. No way would I ever take it, especially if I were healthy and it was prescribed as "preventative" measure. Doctors will tell you it is OK and that few people experience problems, but do some more research and decide for yourself.

If you do take it, stop at the very first sign of any joint pain (yes, I know you are not supposed to stop an antibiotic mid-term, which is just another reason not to take it).

TS

(This post was edited by troutboy on Jun 28, 2011, 2:03 PM)

jbk641

Jun 28, 2011, 2:16 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Side note: If your dr is having you take the cipro prophylactically for travelers diarhea then there is another option. DONT TAKE IT. Use immodium for the symptoms of the diarhea and then if it doesnt work then take it. Climbers on international trips with cipro is risky. Its actually not recommended anymore for prophylaxis. Actually daily useage of pepto bismol has show to be as effective as antibiotics.. Think about the scenario: climber + overclimbing+dehydration+alcohol+overclimbing=snap. Add cipro to this equations SNAP SNAP!!!!

crackmeup

Jun 28, 2011, 2:25 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Cipro and climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I'm done with the cycle of Cipro. I climbed a couple of days during that week. I definitely felt weird, maybe a bit weaker.

I was extra careful and spent a long time warming up. Nothing bad to report, my tendons and joints feel fine. Thanks for all the answers!

Hi Lena, I've been quite busy running my company here in the Bay Area. Mostly climbing at the gym, occasional bouldering at the beach or in Berkeley. Not much time for roped climbing even though Jailhouse (two hours from SF) is becoming popular among my friends.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook