Partner rrrADAM

Jun 23, 2011, 5:59 AM
Post #1 of 6 (605 views)
Shortcut

A kick in the a$$...
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervaMPt4Ha0

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jun 23, 2011, 1:18 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 23, 2011, 2:06 PM
Post #2 of 6 (554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] A kick in the a$$... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found it interesting that the highlight is bonds between primarily family members. Which is great, if you have that type of personal bond, but given that US is primarily a society where family relationships play a lesser role than in the countries of Iraq and Afghanistan. Is the point that we would be better off being more like I&A?

veganclimber

Jun 23, 2011, 3:00 PM
Post #3 of 6 (549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] A kick in the a$$... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Jun 23, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #4 of 6 (530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] A kick in the a$$... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry. I just got out of a cultural diversity meeting that referenced this:
http://www.geert-hofstede.com/

And this quote about Iran societies is where I was going:
In reply to:
Individualism (IDV) on the one side versus its opposite, collectivism, that is the degree to which individuals are inte-grated into groups. On the individualist side we find societies in which the ties between individuals are loose: everyone is expected to look after him/herself and his/her immediate family. On the collectivist side, we find societies in which people from birth onwards are integrated into strong, cohesive in-groups, often extended families (with uncles, aunts and grandparents) which continue protecting them in exchange for unquestioning loyalty. The word 'collectivism' in this sense has no political meaning: it refers to the group, not to the state. Again, the issue addressed by this dimension is an extremely fundamental one, regarding all societies in the world.

America has a very high individualistic bend whereas Iraq and Afgansitan (where the US is fighting) have a higher collectivist bend. Yet the video, to make us appreciate US soldiers has a very high collectivist angle. The focus was primarily on people with a familial relationship to a soldier, not on appreciating the individuals involved for their achievements.

I just found it interesting that there was an attempt to pull at a collectivist aspect of our individualistic society to support a war against a strongly collectivist society.

veganclimber

Jun 23, 2011, 10:31 PM
Post #5 of 6 (515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] A kick in the a$$... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yet the video, to make us appreciate US soldiers has a very high collectivist angle. Yet the video, to make us appreciate US soldiers has a very high collectivist angle. The focus was primarily on people with a familial relationship to a soldier, not on appreciating the individuals involved for their achievements.

You are making way to much of this. The purpose of that video was to make us appreciate the sacrifices the soldiers are making, mainly being separated from their families for long periods of times. However individualistic Americans may be, I don't think that makes them appreciate their families any less.

skiclimb

Jun 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
Post #6 of 6 (508 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] A kick in the a$$... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not kick me in this ass Adam

there is nothing that makes me closer to an avenging angel

Than seeing our misguided but immeasurably honorable youth

WAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)
$62.06 (10% off)
$35.96 (10% off)
$103.68 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook