Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Info on a move to CO...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dbogardus

Jun 27, 2011, 6:49 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Info on a move to CO...  (North_America: United_States: Colorado)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I'm giving serious consideration to moving to CO (Denver area most likely) and would like some advice with respect to climbing and other activities if anyone is knowledgeable on them.

The main reason I am considering this is because of the importance of outdoor activities to my lifestyle. Iíve been snowboarding since I was a wee child, seriously climbing for about 3 years, and Iíve just begun skydiving. So, Iíd prefer to be in an area where all of those are easily accessible.

There are dropzones in Boulder and Longmont, and it seems as though all of the best/closest boarding is accessed by route 70E out of Denver.

As for climbing, I would much prefer intermediate (multi-pitch) trad routes over hard sport routes (Iím thinking Eldo?).

Lastly, Iím still single and relatively young at 27 and would prefer to be in an area with some night life and social scene which is outside of the direct Metro area, but by no means do I party every night. If I move, I will most likely have a relatively well paying job but would like to cut costs as much as possible and not live paycheck to paycheck during the transition.

Any words of wisdom on specific areas to look for housing, decent business districts (I donít feel like driving over an hour to work), climbing areas which somewhat match my interest, etc, would be greatly appreciated.

And I know a lot of research on this topic can be done with Google. Iím hoping fellow members can comment on and give more of a personal recommendation than the general info I can, and will, find online otherwise.

dave

jomagam

Jun 27, 2011, 8:14 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Info on a move to CO... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Boulder, CO

rtwilli4

Jun 27, 2011, 8:49 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbogardus] Info on a move to CO... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can give you tid-bits of information but for the best beta you should head over to http://www.MountainProject.com. You should also search both here and over on MP, as there are dozens and dozens of threads discussing why Boulder is the best place to live as a climber.

Geographically, Boulder is hard to beat. You are right in the middle of a shit ton of good climbing. Narrowing the scope to "intermediate multi-pitch trad" takes A LOT of areas off the table, but that's the case just about anywhere in the US. For starters, Boulder is pretty damn close to a lifetime of moderate trad in RMNP. I haven't been, but have researched a lot of an upcoming trip and I think that a 5.8 climber could go into the park just about every weekend and get on something new.

As for skiing and riding, do you like inbounds resorts or back country? Downhill or cross-country? Day trips or touring? There are a lot of both in the Colorado Rockies, but Denver is WAY down on the list of places I'd move for such things. I lived out there (Steamboat Springs) for a ski season before I climbed much and to be honest it kind of put me off CO for a while. Being up at the Boat is great but if you're doing the city thing, you'll spend more time in the car that you will on the slopes. The traffic and crowds just put a downer on things. You could not pay me to go to any of the resorts on the weekends.

But yea, you'll get a ton of opinions. I'm not a Boulder person and there are a lot of reasons that I would not want to live there, but to be honest I STILL think about spending a year there at some point, just because of the access to A TON of good climbing.

There are a lot of other areas around Denver that could work just as well as Boulder, but I'd think long and hard before moving into Denver proper. You have to consider the fact that thousands and thousands of others have had the same idea, which means you'll all be racing to get out of the city every weekend and you can be sure that no one will be going east.

Get creative, do some research on the rest of the country. There are A LOT of places that fit the bill.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$621.00 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook