RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

knudenoggin

Jul 1, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Does "Ricoh" Rhyme w/"Pico"? Ricoh buys Pentax
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
there are only a few DSLR makers left on the planet, you'll figure it out.

So, what does a (or do THE) Pentax advocate(s) think about this action?

Some are hoping it's innovation buying history,
or something like that. The K-5 is looking nice,
but competition is tough, and "where the money is"
isn't always with what *purists* want.

*kN*

(This post was edited by knudenoggin on Jul 5, 2011, 10:36 AM)

FullertonImages

Jul 5, 2011, 10:30 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Does "Ricoh" Rhyme w/"Pico"? Ricoh buys Pentax [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'm a fan of this, but I'm not sure. It could end up playing out so many ways. I'm a full time pro Pentax shooter, and I LOVE the K-5. It's a beast in the outdoors. But I feel like Hoya has really been handcuffing Pentax on the R&D side of things. Some how they manages to squeeze out a camera with the best dynamic range of any DSLR ever, but lens and accessory development has been slow, as well as dropping the ball on key features (1080p/24, and manual video controls).

Pentax has been making great strides in their DSLR line, but always ends up falling short in some areas. They always release bodies that are revolutionary in one respect, but drop the ball somewhere else. They'll be way ahead of C&N in some respects, but way behind in others. They seem to divert their small resources towards innovating and being unique, which I think has been great, and is likely while their still around. but they seem to always have trouble releasing a full package, that isn't lacking in one way or another. The K-5 has been the best yet, by far, but still could have used a few extra features, mainly on the video side.

If what Ricoh represent is a bigger budget, and a bigger commitment to R&D, innovation and excellence, then I think this will be really good for the brand. I hope that's what it represents!

Cheers,

Ben

knudenoggin

Jul 5, 2011, 10:51 AM
Post #3 of 3 (1390 views)
Shortcut

Re: [FullertonImages] Does "Ricoh" Rhyme w/"Pico"? Ricoh buys Pentax [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FullertonImages wrote:
I think I'm a fan of this, ... .
//
Pentax has been making great strides in their DSLR line, but always ends up falling short in some areas ...

If what Ricoh represent is a bigger budget, and a bigger commitment to R&D, innovation and excellence, then I think this will be really good for the brand. I hope that's what it represents!

AMEN to that !!

"The company that brings to you the K-5 & the GRX ..."

Smile

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$17.95 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook