Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jacques

Jul 21, 2011, 3:17 PM
Post #1 of 33 (37953 views)
Shortcut

are you a leader, a follower or a chicken
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (12 ratings)  
Can't Post

a leader is someone who like to be the center of the attraction. He want to lead the hardier pitch, protect the other climber, be in charge of the security.

In good teams, there always a leader and a follower. the follower is someone who back up the leader to avoid him to make mistake. He like to climb hard, but not necessary to be at the sharp end of the rope. He take his turn and his very strong.

For many years, trad climber think that a chicken is someone with no balls. He need bolt to be secure, belay anchor, etc. With sport climbing, this is not true anymore. Some people are very strong mentally and can sustain stress. but still: when you climb with someone and every think is perfect and he want to be hold tightly, critic you or always want to bail when we begin to have fun...he is a chicken.

so, did you have any experience of one or more of these three categories. for example, I climbed Mt washington in winter and my partner begin to be tired and afraid to climb at the mc donald at littleton the day before the climb.

At the opposite, I simul climb a 300 meters route in 45 minutes with a good leader without any stress.

any good story?

(This post was edited by jacques on Jul 21, 2011, 3:22 PM)

superchuffer

Jul 21, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #2 of 33 (37944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

i am a chicken and a haulbag.

lithiummetalman

Jul 21, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 33 (37900 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was born in the year of the chicken....

JimTitt

Jul 21, 2011, 5:33 PM
Post #4 of 33 (37866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Chicken tastes sooo goood!

chadnsc

Jul 21, 2011, 5:41 PM
Post #5 of 33 (37861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superchuffer] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

superchuffer wrote:

I'm shaped like a haulbag. Wink

Kartessa

Jul 21, 2011, 6:08 PM
Post #6 of 33 (37836 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
a leader is someone who like to be the center of the attraction. He want to lead the hardier pitch, protect the other climber, be in charge of the security.

In good teams, there always a leader and a follower. the follower is someone who back up the leader to avoid him to make mistake. He like to climb hard, but not necessary to be at the sharp end of the rope. He take his turn and his very strong.

For many years, trad climber think that a chicken is someone with no balls. He need bolt to be secure, belay anchor, etc. With sport climbing, this is not true anymore. Some people are very strong mentally and can sustain stress. but still: when you climb with someone and every think is perfect and he want to be hold tightly, critic you or always want to bail when we begin to have fun...he is a chicken.

so, did you have any experience of one or more of these three categories. for example, I climbed Mt washington in winter and my partner begin to be tired and afraid to climb at the mc donald at littleton the day before the climb.

At the opposite, I simul climb a 300 meters route in 45 minutes with a good leader without any stress.

any good story?

You really need to start citing Google Translate for your posts

jt512

Jul 21, 2011, 6:30 PM
Post #7 of 33 (37823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:

any good story?

No, including yours.

Jay

wmfork

Jul 21, 2011, 7:08 PM
Post #8 of 33 (37801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Karl really likes to lead, doesn't he? - Yes.
Even more, he likes the title of leader.
As if that makes him a leader.

--Eiger Sanction

johnwesely

Jul 21, 2011, 7:19 PM
Post #9 of 33 (37788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
superchuffer wrote:

I am shaped like a poop tube.

majid_sabet

Jul 21, 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #10 of 33 (37767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

jacques wrote:

any good story?

A leader is someone who knows how use the resources he has on his position to get the job down

A smart leader let some chicken do the leading while he cleans up and if chicken decided to fly then leader just watches the chicken fall.

BumpinUgly

Jul 21, 2011, 7:58 PM
Post #11 of 33 (37762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
jacques wrote:

any good story?

You really need to start citing Google Translate for your posts

Or enroll in the Evelyn Woodhead Speed Reading Course...

rangerrob

Jul 21, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #12 of 33 (37730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wesley you probably smell like a poop tube after a week or so in Camp Slime!

Seriously though, does anyone else get a kick out of reading Jacques posts? I think they are hilarious!

JimTitt

Jul 22, 2011, 7:22 PM
Post #13 of 33 (37638 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rangerrob] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually I find them cool in a mesmerising sort-of way, like going into a house of horrors or something like that.
I guess the fascination is that maybe one day I´ll understand one and know I´m mad.

jacques

Jul 23, 2011, 2:24 AM
Post #14 of 33 (37586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
jacques wrote:

A leader is someone who knows how use the resources he has on his position to get the job down.

Your definition is a lot better them mine

jeepnphreak

Jul 23, 2011, 3:19 AM
Post #15 of 33 (37573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depends on the day, if I have a good night sleep and a lot of coffee I love leading.

But some days I'm just not feeling it and take the follower's or the chicken's place.

climbingtrash

Jul 23, 2011, 1:41 PM
Post #16 of 33 (37531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In '08 i was a chicken bat.

chadnsc

Jul 23, 2011, 2:03 PM
Post #17 of 33 (37526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnwesely] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
superchuffer wrote:

Are you full of shit like a poop tube?

johnwesely

Jul 23, 2011, 2:45 PM
Post #18 of 33 (37513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
johnwesely wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
superchuffer wrote:

Are you full of shit like a poop tube?

Nope.

jacques

Jul 27, 2011, 4:04 AM
Post #19 of 33 (37367 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeepnphreak] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jeepnphreak wrote:
depends on the day, if I have a good night sleep and a lot of coffee I love leading.

But some days I'm just not feeling it and take the follower's or the chicken's place.

For me, it depends on my partner. My best partner was strong and he stop climbing regularly. Today, he like to climb under his level. I went climbing with him with two other guy. the team of four start at the bottom of wedge and finish at the top. I always took the sharp end of the rope, but I wasn't the leader for the entire route. It is true that I took the decision to where I place my pro. but he looked at the security of the team and, answering my question when I inform him if I can do a manipulation or giving me and information to be safer,...he led all the way to the top. I never by pass his authority.

For me a good leader is someone with enought experience that he know before that some think will go wrong after. He will place his team in a safe mode or in an attack mode to have fun or to protect them.

Inversely, a good follower is someone who can take his place and help the leader to do his job. He can be pro active and make some mistake. But he never try to take the place of the leader because he arrive first at the belay.

hyhuu

Jul 28, 2011, 6:25 PM
Post #20 of 33 (37270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a chicken but I like to climb. So if someone wants to lead, I'll follow. If not, I'll lead it.

aprice00

Jul 28, 2011, 7:08 PM
Post #21 of 33 (37247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Huh I like to read Jacques post with a russian accent. I picture him as a middleaged bearded guy with big manly hair chest.
Like this guy

jbro_135

Jul 28, 2011, 8:53 PM
Post #22 of 33 (37218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
a leader is someone who likes to be the center of the attraction. He wants to lead the hardier pitches, protect the other climber, be in charge of the security.

In good teams, there always a leader and a follower. the follower is someone who backs up the leader to avoid him to make mistakes. He likes to climb hard, but not necessary to be at the sharp end of the rope. He takes his turn and his very strong.

For many years, trad climbers think that a chicken is someone with no balls. He needs bolt to be secure, belay anchor, etc. With sport climbing, this is not true anymore. Some people are very strong mentally and can sustain stress. but still: when you climb with someone and every think is perfect and he wants to be hold tightly, critic you or always wants to bail when we begin to have fun...he is a chicken.

any good story?

kennoyce

Jul 28, 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #23 of 33 (37189 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the day, I'd say 70% of the time i'm a leader, 5% of the time i'm a follower, and 20% of the time i'm a chicken!

sungam

Jul 28, 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #24 of 33 (37171 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kennoyce] are you a leader, a follower or a chicken [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, but you should catch him on that other 5%. DAYUM.
There really isn't a catagory.

alleyehave

Jul 31, 2011, 9:00 AM
Post #25 of 33 (37100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Okay, the original post has made me realize a few different conclusions:

1) I've lost all faith in humanity that I ever once had.

2) If general humanity ever stood a chance, general stupidity would interfere.

3) Try as hard as you want, regardless, you won't get any further. Trying hard equals to striving hard. Striving hard means not understanding what you're striving for.

(This post was edited by alleyehave on Jul 31, 2011, 7:48 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook