RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

fiend

Nov 17, 2001, 4:11 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Detractor Roll Call.
Report this Post

Pete has made a number of references to what he calls "detractors".

I figure we should take a roll call for those of us who are passthepetonspete detractors (or would like to be).

All present and accounted for?

fiend

Nov 17, 2001, 4:11 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Detractor Roll Call. [In reply to]
Report this Post

Present.

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 17, 2001, 4:18 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

detractor - noun a person who criticizes something unfavorably.

I guess that I would fall in this catagory. I view his opinionated subjective diatribes unfavorably most of the time.

jds100

Nov 17, 2001, 6:45 PM
Post #4 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

When I read what Pete first wrote here, I thought he was pretty funny, and I enjoyed reading about the experiences he's had. But, especially after the "Detractor" diatribe, I'm thinking I've had my fill. The bizarre personal stuff serves no purpose, nor do the veiled threats (which maybe he'd say aren't veiled threats, but actually "promises in a pillowcase", or something; who knows.). He has said I "really get it". Thanks for the complement, sir, I suppose, but I am no less confused, and evermore annoyed, by the extended rants.

I think Pete has some valuable things to add to climbing and to this website, but maybe they've all been added now.

spunkylilrn

Nov 17, 2001, 9:40 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hmmmm, well. I'd have to say that I'm not present in this roll call. I like Pete and happen to think that he is way funny.

[ This Message was edited by: spunkylilrn on 2001-11-17 13:45 ]

beta

Nov 18, 2001, 12:15 AM
Post #6 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Well I can't join you in this one. I don't aid climb, but I would like to down the road as these old bones aren't going to be able pull my own body weight up the rock in a couple more years. I have gotten a wealth of information from Pete's posts, and he has gone to a great deal of effort to help people on this site.

I don't think for a minute that we have gotten all the knowledge that Pete has on climbing in the few short weeks he, (and I) have been here, and lets face it, the guy has one hell of a sense of humor.

What's the problem, if you don't like Pete's style, don't visit his forum, there are lots of places to go on this site, I visit them all, and looked forward to what Pete had to say.

My .02C

Jeff

wallhammer

Nov 18, 2001, 6:23 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

well. next to dr. pitons forum, the aiding forum is my favorie, mostly because passthepitonspete helps out their also. fiend, i got no disrespect for at all, but i feel that if you were older, the way you reflect your feelings and opinions would be way different than what they are now. i hope the best for you. Dr. Piton, your posts,knowledge, rants and raves have brought considerable enjoyment to me, and it is my humble OPINION that most of the negative feedback about you is due to jealousy. I believe the Dr. Piton forum was a success due to the immediate amount of questions and topics raised (as compared to some other forums such as "teen" or "sport competition" ( i am not critisizing the previos two forums, they have their place, just as the "ask Dr. Piton forum has its place.

ratstar

Nov 18, 2001, 8:39 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Here.

addiroids

Nov 18, 2001, 9:23 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

SUPPORTER.

Pete may have a lot to say, but he knows a lot too. This is a Valley wallrat who actually got a place in society, and can afford a computer and share his hard earned knowledge with all of us. So he shows a little personality in his posts? For those of us who like a little more adventure than falling off 100' routes where the crux is clipping the 20 bolts, Pete provides the info for us to be safe at longer routes. He is a wise dude, and has all of us with more than a few laughs while giving us valuable info. Yes, this stuff can be learned from many a WallRat hanging out in Camp 4 or 5, but not all of us can afford that luxury. Some of us must practice this at home and then apply it at the rare times we are able to get away for more than a weekend. So in short, I am a supporter.

Who else has shared anything on this site more useful than Dr. Piton??? I know Benjo and Pinscar know their sh!t, but they haven't posted much of it. True, for the majority of the visitors on the site, they don't want to take the time or effort to climb anything significantly massive, but for the select insane few of us, we need the knowledge Dr. Piton espouses (I don't really know what that word means) to us. Wall climbing is a dieing art. How may companies specialize in wall climbing tools besides pitons and hammers?? Like 3 or 4 at the most (Fish, Pika, and Yates).

Climbing well-protected pre-bolted routes may be fun for some people, but for those of us who have a little more balls (and insurance) and desire a little more adventure (often more than we ask for) the opportunity to get on a Grade V or VI premeates our conscious and subconscious thoughts daily. I'm not saying which form of climbing is better, but we all know which has been the recent debate with regard to access issues. And where would you rather go to worship in the Mecca of each? The grand Yosemite Valley, or next to some streambed in Rifle, Colorado?

So, yeah, Pete may have his opinions, and yeah, he may offend some people. But can't the same be said for guys in spandex?

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 19, 2001, 4:00 AM
Post #10 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

/clears throat

Pete knows nothing. Anything he says can be found from a book...and was most likely typed from a book.

/continues clearning throat

I am so f'n win.

addiroids

Nov 19, 2001, 5:06 AM
Post #11 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Pianomahn has "been climbing for a year". You sure must have learned a lot in that year of bouldering in Illinois. Good work.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 19, 2001, 5:32 AM
Post #12 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Actually, less than a year.

BTW, I only say what I hear, and I hear Pete is a fake. But, whatever. He attacked me first.

addiroids

Nov 19, 2001, 6:22 AM
Post #13 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

You're right, Pianomahn. Pete is fake, and here's a picture to prove it.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=1684

That flake he is hooking on is fake, and the belayer below him is fake, but the smile is not!!

In looking at the El Cap page, he has climbed the Big Stone 17 times by 17 different routes (not including the E. Butt). Some of what Pete has written here HAS been published in a book. The name of the book is THE COMPLETE BOOK OF BIG WALL CLIMBING VOLUME ONE: THE GROUND MANUAL. by Chongo. Pete's the Editor. Pete told me he and Chongo collaborated over two years on it. At 612 pages (including pics of some cute female wall climbers), it is THE most thorough discussion of big wall techniques ever published. What Pete has been publishing here in his Dr. Piton forum are actually IMPROVEMENTS in some of Chongo's technology that he himself refined on his many big wall solo ascents.

You should buy a copy, Pianomahn. I think there's something in there about how to clip indoor bolts.

TRADitionally yours,

Addiroids

[ This Message was edited by: addiroids on 2001-11-18 22:24 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 19, 2001, 6:40 AM
Post #14 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

OK kids...

Stay on topic, this thread is just a roll call, 'present' or 'absent' is fine.

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 19, 2001, 6:58 AM
Post #15 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

See the look on my face....it says I don't care.

wigglestick

Nov 19, 2001, 4:39 PM
Post #16 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Absent

It seems that mostly only moderators on this site are against pete. Why is that?

Partner pianomahnn

Nov 19, 2001, 5:07 PM
Post #17 of 17 (3396 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Why? Because we get all the complaints and have to deal with this stuff directly.

There are a great number of rockclimbing.com members who wish to stay out of this directly for reasons they may or may not wish to reveal, but have expressed their dislike for Pete to us.

Glad we have that cleared up.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook