Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
The MASS CLIMBERS thread
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

jakedatc

Jul 23, 2011, 10:17 PM
Post #22601 of 22774 (8852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeHamilton] Climbing holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
lol,my bad dindt catch the short hand.

LW though. sure.. just wait until october.

Gmburns2000

Jul 24, 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #22602 of 22774 (8847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
QQ is said to not be legally climbable. but hell get out to the pond some weeks instead of the gym. My daughter got me climbing again by picking on my belly. LOL, might work for you to get the BF back out there.
since when?

JoeHamilton

Jul 24, 2011, 7:20 AM
Post #22603 of 22774 (8839 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

every guide book that mentions Quincy Quarries says so. Maybe since there printing access is open again, or people just go anyway, without any troubles . Jakedatc ,LW sounds fun I was planning on heading down there around Sspt./Oct. Ill hit ya up .( In case of Rumney some time, I have draws,lol)

(This post was edited by JoeHamilton on Jul 24, 2011, 7:21 AM)

jakedatc

Jul 24, 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #22604 of 22774 (8834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
every guide book that mentions Quincy Quarries says so. Maybe since there printing access is open again, or people just go anyway, without any troubles . Jakedatc ,LW sounds fun I was planning on heading down there around Sspt./Oct. Ill hit ya up .( In case of Rumney some time, I have draws,lol)

Not sure what guidebook you are looking at but it it clearly open in Boston Rocks newest edition. I've never heard of it being closed in the last 10 years.

sapphire

Jul 24, 2011, 1:25 PM
Post #22605 of 22774 (8830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Climbing holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Jake! Definitely will let you know. I'm nursing a sprained ankle right now, so it'll be later than sooner. (I'm also working on climbing something harder than a 5.9, but once a week is just not quite enough Laugh)

Thanks for the tip on QQ, Joe. I hadn't ever heard that it was not legal to climb there, but if it isn't a new announcement in the past couple years, then maybe it's still okay.

sapphire

Jul 24, 2011, 2:07 PM
Post #22606 of 22774 (8825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
QQ is said to not be legally climbable. but hell get out to the pond some weeks instead of the gym. My daughter got me climbing again by picking on my belly. LOL, might work for you to get the BF back out there.

ha,ha. Yeah, that's more my motivation for getting back out there. It's funny how harnesses shrink over time. Wink Actually, the BF is kind of bored by climbing. I dunno why, but maybe too much down time for him or something? Funny thing is I met him through climbing...

JoeHamilton

Jul 24, 2011, 5:15 PM
Post #22607 of 22774 (8817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sapphire] Climbing holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess maybe it is open again. First edition says its closed,second doesnt . I think I 'll take a drive and check it out. Things do change.

jakedatc

Jul 24, 2011, 5:25 PM
Post #22608 of 22774 (8814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
I guess maybe it is open again. First edition says its closed,second doesnt . I think I 'll take a drive and check it out. Things do change.

yea first edition is very old. QQ hasn't been closed in over 10 years. I took a rock climbing class there through college in '99

Gmburns2000

Jul 25, 2011, 1:10 PM
Post #22609 of 22774 (8797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:

Hasn't been closed for a VERY long time. It's definitely open.

olderic

Jul 25, 2011, 2:29 PM
Post #22610 of 22774 (8791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I will further pile on and quantify "very long time" by adding that people have been climbing - legally - in the Quarries for ~ the past 85 years - in some cases it seems like the same guy has been dogging the same route for 85 years.

No guidebook that I have ever seen - the original MITOC (~1969), Strand's "Blasted Rock" (~1980), The new MITOC (Larry Laforge's original Boston Rocks ~1985) or the 2nd edition of Boston Socks (Doucette and Ruff ~2000) has ever stated anything about access or legal issues. that is at least true for Little Granite Rail where historically most of the climbing was focused. More recently (big) Granite Rail has become more popular due to it being filled in by the Big Dig (or maybe because it starred in "Gone Baby Gone") There was a brief period (< 1 year) when that was legally off limits due to the attempt to drain it and search for "interesting" things before filling it. Swingles before it was filled was more interesting and probably more iffy regarding legality. That covers the popular documented for climbing quarries - in reality there were historically many more quarries all over Quincy and most of them had some sort of climbing history. At the height of the route manufacturing era (mid 90's) there were some other Quarries in Quincy that had some quite elaborate manufactured routes on them - best bolted routes in MA - sadly long ago blown to bits.

But the bottom line is that you are mis readang any guidebook if you think it says that climbing at the QQ is illegal - I'd like to have you post what specifically you are referring to.

Gmburns2000

Jul 25, 2011, 2:36 PM
Post #22611 of 22774 (8788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] Climbing holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for clarity's sake he means you, Joe, not me.

Did I ever tell the story about how I almost got into a fight with Affleck's crew? They wanted an early evening shot for Gone Baby Gone and we were breaking down. It was getting dark and we didn't want to be up on that uneven ledge (K wall?) in the dark breaking down. They told us to get down. We told them to wait a minute. They yelled at us to get down. We told them to fuck off. They ran after us. We got our fists ready to sock anyone who came near us or our gear. They begged us to hurry. In the end, we got our gear in our own time and they got the shot...although I'm not sure if it was that night.

True story.

JoeHamilton

Jul 25, 2011, 3:36 PM
Post #22612 of 22774 (8781 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1st edition of Boston rocks had an excerpt saying there was no access and they kept the quarries in the book for history reasons,or something along those lines . I admit I dint even look at the quarries in the second edition because of that. I admit also that I guess I was wrong and apologize. Is that clear enough. Hope so .

(This post was edited by JoeHamilton on Jul 25, 2011, 3:39 PM)

olderic

Jul 25, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #22613 of 22774 (8779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
1st edition of boston rocks had an execrt saying there was no access and they kept the quaries in the book for history reasons,

But it really said nothing of the sort. there are plenty of other places that do fit that description - in fact the underground companion guide - "Boston Rolls" - was devoted to them. - but I'm confident that there wasn't anything to that effect in Boston Rocks V1.

Partner cracklover

Jul 25, 2011, 5:31 PM
Post #22614 of 22774 (8762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well put, Eric.

JoeHamilton wrote:
QQ is said to not be legally climbable.

JoeHamilton wrote:
every guide book that mentions Quincy Quarries says so. Maybe since there printing access is open again, or people just go anyway, without any troubles .

JoeHamilton wrote:

JoeHamilton wrote:
1st edition of Boston rocks had an excerpt saying there was no access and they kept the quarries in the book for history reasons,or something along those lines . I admit I dint even look at the quarries in the second edition because of that. I admit also that I guess I was wrong and apologize. Is that clear enough. Hope so .

Joe, can you please clarify where the first edition BR says that QQ is closed? I looked at my copy and can't find anything about any closure. I don't know if I'm missing something, or if you misread something?

You used awfully strong language there "every guide book that mentions Quincy Quarries says so. " I do hope you wouldn't give such bad beta to a place you've never even been to before without good reason.

GO

jakedatc

Jul 25, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #22615 of 22774 (8742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Climbing holds [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Well put, Eric.

JoeHamilton wrote:
QQ is said to not be legally climbable.

JoeHamilton wrote:
every guide book that mentions Quincy Quarries says so. Maybe since there printing access is open again, or people just go anyway, without any troubles .

JoeHamilton wrote:

JoeHamilton wrote:

Joe, can you please clarify where the first edition BR says that QQ is closed? I looked at my copy and can't find anything about any closure. I don't know if I'm missing something, or if you misread something?

You used awfully strong language there "every guide book that mentions Quincy Quarries says so. " I do hope you wouldn't give such bad beta to a place you've never even been to before without good reason.

GO

Joe is building up a history of spewing out bad information that he "thinks" is correct....

JoeHamilton

Jul 26, 2011, 1:31 AM
Post #22616 of 22774 (8711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

EVERY was a bad chioce of words, 1st edition boston rocks second printing printed in 1995. I will purchase a new one soon to double check and retrive the quote. It could have been a misread.

rock Climbing New England ,by Stewart m. Green Pg 56,The deep quarry behind the fence is Granite rail quarry it is currently closed to climbing after it was drained it also harbors the tallest and steepest cliffs in MA.

Again my appologies for the bad beta, its been awhile and things do change. Them quarries have had access issues, in the past hell one wall was destroyed. ( I think the access issue was around the time of all the divers swiming around looking for things in cars )

olderic

Jul 26, 2011, 2:53 AM
Post #22617 of 22774 (8699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Stewart's guide was possibly the worst one ever - didn't get his facts straight about one New England area. The "deep quarry" is Swingles which I described above. Little Granite Rail was never ever an issue and Granite Rail was an issue for just a couple of months and at the time it was well publicized as to approximately what the duration would be and that it wasn't long term.

Partner cracklover

Jul 26, 2011, 2:54 PM
Post #22618 of 22774 (8679 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
Stewart's guide was possibly the worst one ever - didn't get his facts straight about one New England area. The "deep quarry" is Swingles which I described above. Little Granite Rail was never ever an issue and Granite Rail was an issue for just a couple of months and at the time it was well publicized as to approximately what the duration would be and that it wasn't long term.

Hmmm... That's rather different from my recollection. In the late 90s and early 00s (when I started climbing, and before the Big Dig) Little was open, and the main quarry was closed and fenced off, although some people did go in anyway. We got plenty of climbing in Little Granite, so that was fine, and we never ventured through the hole in the fence around the Granite Railway quarry. This may have been during one of the periods in which the quarry was being drained?

At any rate, this was the situation for several years, until it was used for Big Dig dirt, at which point it was totally closed for a while (maybe two years?) with no-one I knew being sure what was going to happen. Then, of course, it was all opened again by the mid 2000s.

At least that's how I remember it.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Jul 26, 2011, 3:12 PM)

Partner cracklover

Jul 26, 2011, 3:09 PM
Post #22619 of 22774 (8676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
EVERY was a bad chioce of words, 1st edition boston rocks second printing printed in 1995.

Weird - I think I have exactly that book, and the only references to access issues for QQ anywhere in it are the following (from pp 12-13):

In reply to:
Last year the Quincy Quarries, our most popular area, was bought by the Metropolitan District Commission. The MDC purchase followed a sustained campaign by climbers and allied groups. While this acquisition removes the threat of losing the Quarries to development, our concerns are not completely allayed. The MDC, which already controls most of the climbing areas in the immediate environs of the city, has not always been sympathetic to climbers. Citing as reasons liability and the defacing of landmarks, the MDC is the same agency which currently denies us access to various important man-made climbing areas. While the present administration is aware of the climbing activities at the Quarries, and though they have indicated their intention to let us continue climbing there, we still worry about the likelihood of increased regulation elsewhere in the MDC's domain, as well as the possibility that the ideas of future administrators may be very different from those of the current MDC. It is important that we keep vigilant, and be willing to put in the time and effort that is needed to preserve our rocks and our opportunities to climb on them.

GO

olderic

Jul 26, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #22620 of 22774 (8667 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think it was closed for quite as long as you remember - we used it for the Climbfest every year in the 90's (MDC used to provide a little row boat to access some of the things). By 2004 it was filled and graded - thats when Zeb did Thank You Scott for example. So there was a window ~2000-2003 when it was fenced off for various draining, searching and filling efforts.

But a couple of points:

1, Until it was filled Granite Rail never was the primary focus for climbing - it always was little Granite Rail.
2. I don't think three was anything ever published in a guidebook about restrictions to Granite Rail - only Swingles which is even more off the beaten path.

So I think the original sweeping statement - everything book ever written states that all climbing in all Quincy Quarries has been, is and always will be illegal - thats what Joe said - right? -is a bit over stated

Partner cracklover

Jul 26, 2011, 4:17 PM
Post #22621 of 22774 (8663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

olderic wrote:
I don't think it was closed for quite as long as you remember - we used it for the Climbfest every year in the 90's (MDC used to provide a little row boat to access some of the things). By 2004 it was filled and graded - thats when Zeb did Thank You Scott for example. So there was a window ~2000-2003 when it was fenced off for various draining, searching and filling efforts.

Actually, that's exactly consistent with my memory, except that I think it was first fenced off a little earlier than that - definitely by the late 90s when I joined the scene.

In reply to:
But a couple of points:

1, Until it was filled Granite Rail never was the primary focus for climbing - it always was little Granite Rail.

That was my understanding as well. Was the only stuff that was easily accessible TeePee wall and Knight's face, or was M wall (Outside Corner, Tensile Strength, etc) also dry at the base?

In reply to:
2. I don't think three was anything ever published in a guidebook about restrictions to Granite Rail - only Swingles which is even more off the beaten path.

So I think the original sweeping statement - everything book ever written states that all climbing in all Quincy Quarries has been, is and always will be illegal - thats what Joe said - right? -is a bit over stated

I'm not going to beat on that drum any further. I think I was entirely clear about my feelings on that point. See my earlier posts to him.

The thing that always surprised me about QQ is how unpopular the Under The Big Top area was. After the Thank You Scott wall, it has by far the best steep climbing in the Quarries, but I almost never saw anyone else there.

Cheers,

GO

olderic

Jul 26, 2011, 5:01 PM
Post #22622 of 22774 (8656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

That was my understanding as well. Was the only stuff that was easily accessible TeePee wall and Knight's face, or was M wall (Outside Corner, Tensile Strength, etc) also dry at the base?

Knights has always pretty much been the same. There used to be a plank jammed below Ladder Line a few inches above the water that you would start from. Depending on exactly how high/low it was jammed there would always be endless discussions of whether you got "full credit" for doing it. Used to be a fun hot day adventure to do a water level (which was a few feet lower then the current ground level) traverse around to the start of Outside Corner, set up a hanging belay, and then do Outside Corner. But the most fun was contemplating DWS style ascents of Pins etc.

JoeHamilton

Jul 26, 2011, 5:23 PM
Post #22623 of 22774 (8642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was not my statement,you sir are now adding words. I have apologized, and shown an example of wher a misread took place, you have educated me on the topic. Admitted to some closing. Put the bat away now please and let the wounds heal. Thank you .

(This post was edited by JoeHamilton on Jul 26, 2011, 5:25 PM)

olderic

Jul 26, 2011, 8:03 PM
Post #22624 of 22774 (8611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Of course I am adding words - its called sarcasm - perhaps you should Google it? hyperbole is a time honored technique you know. But I do appreciate your good naturedness and your enthusiasm. It's just that your original statement sort of summed up a lot of what to me is wrong with RC.com and the Internet in general. Folks without a clue tend to spay "facts" that aren't. Or people with 1/2 a clue spray from the hip without carefully considering what they are writing. Some of the most respected denizens here are consistently guilty of that. All another facet of instant gratification I guess.

JoeHamilton

Jul 26, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #22625 of 22774 (9218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand , I can see here already how things get wanly. If my comma isn't placed and spelled just right they flip. Lol, anyway I now know and won't repeat and might be in Quincy this sunday. Do some scouting around and boulder,

First page Previous page 1 ... 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 ... 911 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook