Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
What's Ten Sleep like in late April/early May?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

redonkulus

Jul 24, 2011, 2:24 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3064 views)
Shortcut

What's Ten Sleep like in late April/early May?  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Eastern_Wy_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about adding it to my roadtrip plans, if the weather is usually suitable in those months. I'll probably spend two weeks, the last week of april and the first of may. Can you comfortably climb by then?

Also, while I have you talking about it, what's the camping situation like there?

Thanks for the help, I've heard nothing but good things about Ten Sleep.

petsfed

Jul 24, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] What's Ten Sleep like in late April/early May? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the snow. The camping might still be under a lot of snow in late april, but the Mondo Beyondo (where just about everybody goes) gets a lot of sun, so at least some of the climbing should be accessible, even if the trails still have snow.

Sinks Canyon can be a pretty good alternative for that period of time, so just keep your ears open as your trip gets closer and make the final decision as late as possible.

redonkulus

Jul 25, 2011, 2:17 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3020 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] What's Ten Sleep like in late April/early May? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, good to know. If the camping's still snowy, is there other places to sleep? Also, is Sinks Canyon a worthwhile destination? I can always head down to Shelf Road or someplace in Colorado if it's gonna be a crapshoot in WY. I've wanted to hit up Ten Sleep for a while now, sounds pretty awesome.

petsfed

Jul 25, 2011, 7:33 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] What's Ten Sleep like in late April/early May? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
Thanks, good to know. If the camping's still snowy, is there other places to sleep? Also, is Sinks Canyon a worthwhile destination? I can always head down to Shelf Road or someplace in Colorado if it's gonna be a crapshoot in WY. I've wanted to hit up Ten Sleep for a while now, sounds pretty awesome.

For a long time, Sinks was THE place to go in Wyoming, since it had pretty good climbing, and was climbable year round. It does not compare to Ten Sleep, but it is a nice place to go. Plus, the camping stays free until nearly Memorial Day.

You might be able to find some BLM land below the town of Ten Sleep, but you're looking at a 20-40 minute drive in that case. Good luck!

redonkulus

Jul 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2985 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] What's Ten Sleep like in late April/early May? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook