Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in Oahu
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

smallclimber

Jul 27, 2011, 12:30 PM
Post #1 of 3 (2056 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Oahu  (North_America: United_States: Hawaii: Oahu)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We will be spending a week in Hawaii in early September, renting a house on the North Shore at Sunset Beach. We were not planning on bringing climbing gear, but looks like we will be quite close to the Moke area, so I wondered if anyone could give me some advice so we can think whether to throw our stuff in.
1. Grades - we are wimps, even for sport climbing we need under 5.10 and nice close bolts - is there much in that range.
2. Access - the approach was described as steep and uphill, um, so I guess not good for stroller, 1 yr old baby and elderly grandparents??!
3. We might be able to pursuade grandparents to babysit for a few hours (but unlikely for a full day), can we drive there from Sunset beach, hike in, climb and be back in a few hours?
4. Will our rental car get trashed in the parking area?
5. Is there a guidebook?
Thanks for any replies. Hopeflly USNavy will see this...

USnavy

Jul 29, 2011, 12:18 AM
Post #2 of 3 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Climbing in Oahu [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

smallclimber wrote:
We will be spending a week in Hawaii in early September, renting a house on the North Shore at Sunset Beach. We were not planning on bringing climbing gear, but looks like we will be quite close to the Moke area, so I wondered if anyone could give me some advice so we can think whether to throw our stuff in.
1. Grades - we are wimps, even for sport climbing we need under 5.10 and nice close bolts - is there much in that range.
2. Access - the approach was described as steep and uphill, um, so I guess not good for stroller, 1 yr old baby and elderly grandparents??!
3. We might be able to pursuade grandparents to babysit for a few hours (but unlikely for a full day), can we drive there from Sunset beach, hike in, climb and be back in a few hours?
4. Will our rental car get trashed in the parking area?
5. Is there a guidebook?
Thanks for any replies. Hopeflly USNavy will see this...

1. You can find the grade of every route at the Moke here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...The_Moke_/Main_Wall/ However it is possible to toprope almost any route at the Moke from the ground with a string system we have that runs through the top anchors. So you dont have to lead anything if you dont want to.

2. It impossible for a stroller, one year old kid or senior. Its mostly 2nd and 3rd class the whole way going over boulders, continuously uphill. Your average person can make it up there, you dont have to be an elite trail runner, but its not a flat family friendly hike like you might find in a tourist area.

3. From Sunset Beach the crag is about a 10 - 15 min drive west. Its about a 25 min hike up if your in reasonable condition. Once your up there you can be climbing in less than 3 min, although you will probably want to rest a bit from the hike.

4. Not likely. I have lived here for 3.5 years and my car has been broken into once. If you go on the weekend the chance of your car getting broken into are far less as there are other people there during the weekends. During the week you might be the only person up there. But in any case, I wouldent worry, dont leave anything in your car and there will be no motivation for anyone to break in.

5. Yes, you can print one out for free on Mountain Projects website. Just navigate to destinations> USA> Hawaii> the Moke. There is also a somewhat inaccurate topo at the crag in the box. You will know what I am talking about once you get up there and see it (there is a big box at the crag). The routes are also labeled on a stick by the route with the grade of the climb.

smallclimber

Jul 29, 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #3 of 3 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Climbing in Oahu [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Brilliant, exactly the sort of details we needed. I think we'll throw a rope, shoes, harnesses and our draws in and see if we can visit.
Thanks for replying!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook