RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

ZenExistence

Aug 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
Post #1 of 8 (6148 views)
Shortcut

Climbing near St Louis, MO?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

Moving to St Louis in a week and I wondered what climbing there was around that area?
I know they have a gym called Upper Limits which sounds great for training but is there anything within an hour of St Louis that a beginner can do?
Also, what about within a 3-5 hour drive?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Player

Aug 3, 2011, 3:12 AM
Post #2 of 8 (6136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ZenExistence] Climbing near St Louis, MO? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Don't know much about St Louis, but Shawnee National Forest is a few hours away in So Ill. Jackson Falls is the biggest place there. Vertical Heartland is the name of the guidebook.

Stimpy

Aug 4, 2011, 1:57 AM
Post #3 of 8 (6113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I first started climbing when I was in St. Louis.

Upper Limits is a great gym, they have a solid mix of bouldering and roped climbs, with good turnover on routes. I'm assuming you've already heard, but they're opening another gym in west St. Louis as well (check out the pictures on their facebook, it looks frickin sweet). You're going to have to get used to gym climbing most of the year, since winter is cold, spring is wet, and summer is sweltering.

Jackson Falls is about 2 1/2 hours away, but isn't the best place for beginners. Most routes are in the 11-12 range, and the easy routes get crowded on weekends. Of the easier routes, I would recommend Chimichonga (5.8), Express Checkout Line (5.9), and Cheerio Bowl (5.10a).

Draper's Bluff and Cedar Bluff are also in that area, though they're primarily trad climbing. I've heard that Ferne Clyffe has some decent top rope too, but its a pretty limited selection.

If you really want to climb outside, and you're not yet able to climb around 5.10, I'd recommend taking a week or so off, and heading to Horseshoe Canyon in Arkansas (about 4 1/2 hours away). A lot of great moderate climbs, though it gets pretty busy on weekends, and you have to pay to camp and climb.

ZenExistence

Aug 4, 2011, 2:15 AM
Post #4 of 8 (6107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stimpy] Climbing near St Louis, MO? [In reply to]
Report this Post

Excellent info, thanks folks!

1pitchwonder

Aug 4, 2011, 4:05 PM
Post #5 of 8 (6086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Stimpy] Climbing near St Louis, MO? [In reply to]
Report this Post

In reply to:
Draper's Bluff and Cedar Bluff are also in that area, though they're primarily trad climbing.

Also, Draper's is closed now since it is private property, and because Illinois is an all around crappy state to live in. They passed a law a couple years ago that took away private owners liability protection. I assumed it had something to do with residents being too happy and not enough lawsuits happening.

Ravanelli

Aug 8, 2011, 7:39 PM
Post #6 of 8 (6058 views)
Shortcut

Re: [1pitchwonder] Climbing near St Louis, MO? [In reply to]
Report this Post

I'm going to St. Louis day 17 visit my aunt. I return to Brazil just in October . I'm from Brazil and I don't know nothing about there. I would like to climb for there. Somebody can to say about the rock climb near St Louis and partners for climb?
I would love to climb this time, but I need partners for this. If someone can help me.... My e-mail is renata.ravanelli@gmail.com and my facebook is Renata Ravanelli

la0069

Aug 23, 2011, 2:29 AM
Post #7 of 8 (5977 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ravanelli] Climbing near St Louis, MO? [In reply to]
Report this Post

i live in carbondale and i climb out at jackson falls quite a bit, and it seems like most people come from stl and chicago, its an awesome place, theres lots to climb, and best of all its free, which is great for us climbing bums. if your ever interested in climbing here pm me and i can meet you there sometime.

saint_slope

Aug 26, 2011, 3:55 PM
Post #8 of 8 (5956 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

what type of climbing are you looking for?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook