Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
would like some advice
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

frictionisbad

Aug 8, 2011, 9:29 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1182 views)
Shortcut

would like some advice  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Rumbling_Bald)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey, I'm planning on heading to rumbling bald sometime in the next few weeks. I'll only be there for a few day so was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the area could suggest some of the better areas/routes for bouldering. also sport routes if there are any.

thanks in advance

csproul

Aug 8, 2011, 10:01 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frictionisbad] would like some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

frictionisbad wrote:
hey, I'm planning on heading to rumbling bald sometime in the next few weeks. I'll only be there for a few day so was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the area could suggest some of the better areas/routes for bouldering. also sport routes if there are any.

thanks in advance
My advice...go somewhere else. It's going to be hot as shit. I'm sure someone will say that they were there yesterday and it was fine, but they're either sadistic or full of shit. If you do go, there is a very good bouldering guide book. I don't know the bouldering well enough to tell you where to go.

For sport routes, there are some good easier ones at the left end of the cliff at the Flakeview area: Gunboat Diplomacy, Driven and Crying, Seven Year Itch...Lakeview goes all on bolts, but is not exactly a sport climb. Breakfast of Champions at the Cereal Buttress is a sport climb, but a little sketchy without a little gear and double ropes if you ask me. Pull the Plug and Rusty Redneck are at Comatose, but again, I'd take a little bit of gear, it is not exactly a real sport route.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's not exactly where I'd choose to go sport climbing and it sure as hell wouldn't be in the summer. The boulerding is really easy to find and I'm sure you'd be ok just walking up there based on info from the websites.

frictionisbad

Aug 8, 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] would like some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aright thanks. i'm from even farther south so it's going to hot no matter where i go. so i guess i'll just look around for some bouldering and maybe try to find a north facing face or something. thanks

clemsonscooby

Aug 9, 2011, 5:38 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Watch out for snakes and use bug spray to prevent chiggers. Crowder's has some sport that will go into the shade after 1pm. It is not that far from the Bald. There is also bouldering at Dixon Rd. It will be hot also, but not as vegetated.

csproul

Aug 9, 2011, 1:37 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW there are much better summer sport and bouldering areas in NC. If you're not welded to being at RB, check out the Grandmother, Blowing Rock, and Lost Cove for bouldering. And there are several sport areas listed in the High Country Cragger. Hawksbill also has a good number of shady sport climbs.

frictionisbad

Aug 10, 2011, 4:25 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] would like some advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yep always load p on the bug spray. and yeah i'm pretty much stuck in the RB area so i'll just make the best of it. i've also looked up some trails to check out in the area so i'll have less time anyways. thanks again

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook