qwert

Jul 28, 2011, 8:09 AM
Post #26 of 69 (7766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
See, that's what's wrong with Ubuntu in a nutshell. You're not limited to two "desktops" (I assume you mean workspaces) in Linux. You can have as many as you want (I use nine). Ubuntu makes too many decisions for the user (like Windows does, but not as badly) and hides too many configurable features. They're all there, just harder to find.
While i do agree about ubuntu going a bit tuphar with all their "lets hide stuff to make it easier" attitude, I wouldnt exactly use only two virtual desktops as an example. Every distro has a default here, and i cant exactly see why 4 would be better than 2 (or 1, or 6 …), especially since it is really easy to add more (with KDE at least).

In reply to:
Do you know about virtual terminals?
They can come in handy, but i would suggest for a terminal beginner, some terminal emulators, such as Konsole are more usefull.
In reply to:
Then hold down the left <Alt> key and press <F7> to put you back into virtual terminal 7, where your GUI, or more specifically, an "X server" is running. In fact, you can run multiple instances of the X server and thus have multiple GUI desktops, one in each VT, each with essentially unlimited numbers of workspaces.
Isnt it <alt>>ctrl><f7>?
Also on some distros (namely fedora, but wouldnt be surprised if 'buntu does that too) the main (graphical) user is on f1.
Also i think you might want to correct you use of the term "unlimited". If i remember correctly, all WMs/DEs have a limit to how many workspaces they can handle (somehow i have the number 50something floating around in my head, but dont know where i got that from, and wich DE is was).

qwert

sungam

Jul 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #27 of 69 (7758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
Buying snow leopard without leopard is a breach of Apple's TOS. Even when you can buy Lion on a stick you can't even put it on a clean laptop, you have to have snow leopard. I checked this stuff out for like 40 minutes last night before I decided they can fuck themselves.

Edit:Typo fix. Changed "with" to "without".

Snow Leopard upgrade works on Tiger-equipped Intel Macs. I can back up this assertion with my own experience—Tiger to Snow Leopard, one disc.
I know it works, I am just pissed at a company that would put "GIVE US MONEY FOR NO REASON" into their TOS.

Anyways, I am commited. No more OSX on my laptop, all linux from here on out. I even ordered some Kubuntu stickers to put over all the little apples on my computer.

Partner j_ung

Jul 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #28 of 69 (7756 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
Buying snow leopard without leopard is a breach of Apple's TOS. Even when you can buy Lion on a stick you can't even put it on a clean laptop, you have to have snow leopard. I checked this stuff out for like 40 minutes last night before I decided they can fuck themselves.

Snow Leopard upgrade works on Tiger-equipped Intel Macs. I can back up this assertion with my own experience—Tiger to Snow Leopard, one disc.
I know it works, I am just pissed at a company that would put "GIVE US MONEY FOR NO REASON" into their TOS.

Anyways, I am commited. No more OSX on my laptop, all linux from here on out. I even ordered some Kubuntu stickers to put over all the little apples on my computer.

Okay. Well, post back. I'd love to hear first hand how the switch goes for somebody who doesn't already know Linux.

sungam

Jul 28, 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #29 of 69 (7754 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:

Okay. Well, post back. I'd love to hear first hand how the switch goes for somebody who doesn't already know Linux.
I've used it in limited amounts on the school computers, my computer programming module (not a proper course, just a side thing of physics using java to make equation solvers) was on linux, so I have a basic knowledge of it. [nerd] It's pretty exciting, though. I mean, I never knew what a kernal or anything was before. Just installing the program and reading about how to do things has quadrupled my knowledge and understanding of how computers work.[/nerd]

Diphthong

Jul 28, 2011, 2:35 PM
Post #30 of 69 (7746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These Mac things sound complicated and full of rules.

Partner macherry

Jul 28, 2011, 2:48 PM
Post #31 of 69 (7741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:

the stickers make all worthwhile

sungam

Jul 28, 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #32 of 69 (7733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
sungam wrote:
j_ung wrote:
sungam wrote:

the stickers make all worthwhile
I bought a multipack that comes with a big one to cover the apple on the back, a strip saying "Kubuntu" to cover the "macbook" under the screen, and even two little ones to cover the apples on the keys. Hah!

jt512

Jul 28, 2011, 5:38 PM
Post #33 of 69 (7719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
jt512 wrote:
Do you know about virtual terminals?
They can come in handy, but i would suggest for a terminal beginner, some terminal emulators, such as Konsole are more usefull.
In reply to:
Then hold down the left <Alt> key and press <F7> to put you back into virtual terminal 7, where your GUI, or more specifically, an "X server" is running. In fact, you can run multiple instances of the X server and thus have multiple GUI desktops, one in each VT, each with essentially unlimited numbers of workspaces.
Isnt it <alt>>ctrl><f7>?

That'll probably work, but the <ctl> isn't necessary in a virtual terminal. On some machines only the left <alt> key will work.

In reply to:
Also on some distros (namely fedora, but wouldnt be surprised if 'buntu does that too) the main (graphical) user is on f1.

I've never seen that, even when I used Fedora (8).

In reply to:
Also i think you might want to correct you use of the term "unlimited". If i remember correctly, all WMs/DEs have a limit to how many workspaces they can handle (somehow i have the number 50something floating around in my head, but dont know where i got that from, and wich DE is was).

You're right. Apparently, it depends on the window manager. Metacity apparently has a limit of 36.

Jay

unabonger

Aug 2, 2011, 3:15 PM
Post #34 of 69 (7682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's more useful discussion about rock climbing in this thread alone than the entire forums combined history x 2.

And the only useful OS out there is Cisco IOS so you can all suck it.

traddad

Aug 2, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #35 of 69 (7675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Mac can lick my sweaty fucking hairy nutsack,

Mac is back? I have yet to catch one of her posts.

PS: Mac has better taste. Your kilt encrusted sporran lifter would not pass muster.

sungam

Aug 5, 2011, 1:25 PM
Post #36 of 69 (7649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So I am slowly mastering the customization of the KDE/Plasma desktop. So rad!

And with all the themes/icons/etc. you can download it's so easy to get a rad looking and super efficient layout. I approve.

curt

Aug 10, 2011, 6:46 AM
Post #37 of 69 (7616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Diphthong] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:

nope.

Curt

Diphthong

Aug 10, 2011, 2:49 PM
Post #38 of 69 (7605 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Diphthong wrote:

nope.

Curt

It took you twelve days to come up with that? Old age is a bitch.

traddad

Aug 10, 2011, 4:15 PM
Post #39 of 69 (7593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
curt wrote:
Diphthong wrote:

nope.

Curt

That's all he could say without putting his teeth in first.

Partner macherry

Aug 10, 2011, 7:13 PM
Post #40 of 69 (7582 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i lurve my new ipad

chadnsc

Aug 10, 2011, 7:40 PM
Post #41 of 69 (7576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

hafilax

Aug 11, 2011, 8:17 PM
Post #42 of 69 (7548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just spent almost $400 to replace the display on my GF's Macbook. It was pretty obvious that there was just a loose connection in the display unit but Apple insists on building everything with no serviceable parts so that meant replacing the whole thing. Can't say that I'm very happy with Apple right now.

It would have cost about half as much if I had bought Applecare but since I think that that kind of insurance is total bullshit I refused. Stand by your goddamn product and build it to last. IMO, every Apple product has this problem. When it works, it's great. The moment something goes wrong you have to replace everything and it gets expensive fast.

My sister's iMac had a similar issue. Something fried on the motherboard and instead of fixing it, they were told to replace the whole unit to the tune of $800. They bought a new computer instead and now have a beautiful iMac screen that can no longer be used. Totally ridiculous.

qwert

Aug 12, 2011, 7:53 AM
Post #43 of 69 (7527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
I just spent almost $400 to replace the display on my GF's Macbook. It was pretty obvious that there was just a loose connection in the display unit but Apple insists on building everything with no serviceable parts so that meant replacing the whole thing. Can't say that I'm very happy with Apple right now.

It would have cost about half as much if I had bought Applecare but since I think that that kind of insurance is total bullshit I refused. Stand by your goddamn product and build it to last. IMO, every Apple product has this problem. When it works, it's great. The moment something goes wrong you have to replace everything and it gets expensive fast.

My sister's iMac had a similar issue. Something fried on the motherboard and instead of fixing it, they were told to replace the whole unit to the tune of $800. They bought a new computer instead and now have a beautiful iMac screen that can no longer be used. Totally ridiculous.
Actually there is some quote by the great Führer Jobs himself floating around that you are supposed to replace you apple product at least every two years. If you are not doing that, its your own fault!

qwert

climbingtrash

Aug 12, 2011, 2:42 PM
Post #44 of 69 (7518 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
Diphthong wrote:
curt wrote:
Diphthong wrote:

nope.

Curt

That's all he could say without putting his teeth in first.

curt

Aug 17, 2011, 3:54 AM
Post #45 of 69 (7477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Diphthong wrote:
curt wrote:
Diphthong wrote:

nope.

Curt

Not really. Senescence has meaningful advantages. For example, I no longer give a fuck what you think.

Curt

lagr01

Aug 24, 2011, 1:34 PM
Post #46 of 69 (7423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you manage to upgrade to Leopard you can actually install Lion.

How to install Lion over Leopard

sungam

Aug 25, 2011, 10:16 AM
Post #47 of 69 (7393 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagr01] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My macbook just couldn't take it anymore. Half propriatary hardware, half open source software. It didn't feel at home in either camp.

Eventually it's identity crisis lead it to take sudden and tragic action.

On Sunday night it swan-dived off my bed and ended it's own life.

*sniff*

traddad

Aug 25, 2011, 1:55 PM
Post #48 of 69 (7385 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
My macbook just couldn't take it anymore. Half propriatary hardware, half open source software. It didn't feel at home in either camp.

Eventually it's identity crisis lead it to take sudden and tragic action.

On Sunday night it swan-dived off my bed and ended it's own life.

*sniff*

Looks like yer 'puter took a bullet for you. Probably the bestest thing it ever did.

sungam

Sep 27, 2011, 8:05 PM
Post #49 of 69 (7287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ArchLinux, dude. ArchLinux.

Jay
Okay, I am doing it tonight. We'll see what happens...

If I don't post for a few days, don't worry. I just wiped my whole hardrive while trying to partition.

jt512

Sep 27, 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #50 of 69 (7280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ArchLinux, dude. ArchLinux.

Jay
Okay, I am doing it tonight. We'll see what happens...

If I don't post for a few days, don't worry. I just wiped my whole hardrive while trying to partition.

Be sure to follow the Beginner's Guide in the Archlinux wiki.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook