Premier Sponsor:

carabiner96

Aug 15, 2011, 1:17 PM
Post #1 of 25 (1461 views)
Shortcut

This is why America is in a recession, part 1:
Report this Post
Can't Post

A card carrying member of the maine elite that I am FB friends with (back in girl scout camp days....oh, the innocence)

(This post was edited by carabiner96 on Aug 15, 2011, 2:41 PM)
Attachments: facepalm.PNG (18.7 KB)

petsfed

Aug 15, 2011, 2:48 PM
Post #2 of 25 (1440 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So what, she's collecting welfare? Or unemployed? Or what?

carabiner96

Aug 15, 2011, 3:03 PM
Post #3 of 25 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
Choosing unemployment as a career path. There's a lot of them in ME.

carabiner96

Aug 15, 2011, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 25 (1432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's a poor point since I'm the only one who knows her, but it just reminds me of the folks at the TP rallies with the signs "Hey MORAN big government, take your hands of my medicare!!"

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 15, 2011, 3:41 PM
Post #5 of 25 (1423 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How does one choose unemployment as a career path? So far as I understood it, you worked for a certain number of weeks to qualify for unemployment benefits, and then number of weeks you worked within a set time frame determined the number of weeks you could get the unemployment. It's not an open-ended thing.

JoeHamilton

Aug 16, 2011, 10:59 AM
Post #6 of 25 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
How does one choose unemployment as a career path? So far as I understood it, you worked for a certain number of weeks to qualify for unemployment benefits, and then number of weeks you worked within a set time frame determined the number of weeks you could get the unemployment. It's not an open-ended thing.

Have you not heard of EXTENSIONS, they arent just for hair. Many people stay on Unemployment cause they make more then if they took a lower paying job.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 16, 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #7 of 25 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeHamilton] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

YES! I HAVE heard of EXTENSIONS!

Let me see now.....If YOU were making 90K as a specialized professional, were on unemployment, but could not get work at present - yet felt that job was just around the corner - would YOU go work at a low-paying job that you KNEW you'd leave and weren't really committed to?

I know some people DO take advantage of the system, but I thank god the system IS in place. I recall when I left working for the handbag industry. It was just after 9/11 when I lost my job(fired, for being an insouciant bitch of a designer who wouldn't be forced to put USA flags on every design in the line to capitalize on the traumatic event).

No one was hiring, and I was sick, sick, sick, of the whole game. I'd made millions of dollars for at least 6 companies over my career. My mother had recently died as well, but in the US, who cares if someone is grieving. Snap out of it and get the job done!

When I found out I was eligible for the 6 months extension - damned STRAIGHT I to avail! I was on unemployment for a total of 18 months.

And you know what???? I didn;t even look for another job!

before you get panty-bunched....that TOO was part of the system. I entered into a program where people on unemployment comp could start their own business(mine was a stained glass studio, which ran for 3 years). Instead of looking for work, I took courses in business operation(WIBO.org was the one I chose - and an excellent opportunity for anyone in the NYC metro region). I met with an advisor as I developed the business and got it off the ground.

People taking advantage of a system LEGALLY in place is NOT why we are in a recession. We are in a recession for much more complex reasons than this. It's not Obama's fault, nor is it Bush's fault, not the fault of liberals or republicans or the Tea Party. It's due to cause and effect from all the decisions and actions we, as a country, have entertained over quite some time.

And even so - we have it GREAT compared to people in many parts of the world. We can still complain all we want, of course, but..... really. We have much to be grateful for.

chadnsc

Aug 16, 2011, 12:03 PM
Post #8 of 25 (1377 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Have you not heard of EXTENSIONS, they arent just for hair. Many people stay on Unemployment cause they make more then if they took a lower paying job.

Joe you don't understand what you're spouting off about.

You're limited to a certan number of weeks you can collect UI based on how long you've been working. In my state of Minnesota you can collect UI for a maximum of 86 weeks (combining both state a federal benifits).

You're given 50% of your gross income of the last eight weeks you where employed. In Minnesota you can receive a maximum of $540 a week.

If you take a lower paying job and then are laid off your UI benefits are recalculated using the lower pay. Because of this it isn't in your best interest to take a lower paying job unless you're about to run out of UI benefits.

In the state of Minnesota if you take a job to supplement your UI benefits the amount of money you make from your job plus 15% is taken out of your benefit payment. Because of this it is very easy to make less money than your UI benefit check and loose your UI payment.

JoeHamilton

Aug 16, 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #9 of 25 (1371 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:

Joe you don't understand what you're spouting off about.

You're limited to a certan number of weeks you can collect UI based on how long you've been working. In my state of Minnesota you can collect UI for a maximum of 86 weeks (combining both state a federal benifits).

You're given 50% of your gross income of the last eight weeks you where employed. In Minnesota you can receive a maximum of $540 a week.

If you take a lower paying job and then are laid off your UI benefits are recalculated using the lower pay. Because of this it isn't in your best interest to take a lower paying job unless you're about to run out of UI benefits.

In the state of Minnesota if you take a job to supplement your UI benefits the amount of money you make from your job plus 15% is taken out of your benefit payment. Because of this it is very easy to make less money than your UI benefit check and loose your UI payment.

So in Minn, you got about a year and a half. Here in Mass, I know some people who have been on UI longer then that. Remember UI is not a FEDERAL program, and each state is different. I simply responded to how can someone make UI as a career path. Well that how, through extension, when they could take advantage of alot of other means. UI offers career changing options as well, and some of those options could possibly earn you the same wages. YES I fully agree UI is a deserved means of income, when you find yourself in that position. I am also not saying that EXTENTIONS are not warranted. What I am saying is " What happens when all that runs out and you find yourself serving coffee at dunk-in donuts for the next 6 months " and now the career changing options the state would've helped you with are gone. There are jobs out there, we the people want what we want and we want it now.

chadnsc

Aug 16, 2011, 1:23 PM
Post #10 of 25 (1363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Again it's clear you don't understand UI.

Yes UI is a state program but it also has a federal component that helps pay your benefits.

Yes states UI offer various programs to help you find careers in 'blue' collar fields. For so called 'white' collar careers applicants are pretty much on their own. Those career change programs you speak of are geared towards unskilled workers looking to move up skilled labor.

These programs however are directly tied to limited state funds and once the money is gone their are no more programs.

As for your comment about jobs being out there, well the majority of the country contradicts your views.

JoeHamilton

Aug 17, 2011, 7:19 PM
Post #11 of 25 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me ask you this, Would you work for walmart, or say Dunkin Donuts, Home depot, ring a cash register? Probably not . I didnt say there was alot of jobs. MANY people just wont settle for less. Take this statement, and it is not an attack hence why not qouted, but just take this one statement and multiply by thousands.

When I found out I was eligible for the 6 months extension - damned STRAIGHT I to avail! I was on unemployment for a total of 18 months.

This in my opinion is what the topic is going at. When you bring up class status , please , If you had a white collar job and a house and two cars , you dam straight shouldve have had a saveings, insurance and back up plans. Also not for nothing, my point is if you where an executive of some firm or company and got laid off, maybe you needed to lower your head from the clouds and take a BLUE COLLAR job to humble yourself some. in todays economy sometimes cuts and belt tightning is just how it is. the FEDS only pay a very small % your employer pays into unemployent more then anyone else does, thats why some employers WILL IN FACT fight you for it. when they have lay offs there premium goes up.

(This post was edited by JoeHamilton on Aug 17, 2011, 7:19 PM)

petsfed

Aug 17, 2011, 7:59 PM
Post #12 of 25 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've actually been passed over by Walmart for a job. And McDonalds. Also gas stations. Around the time you start applying for those jobs, you've hit rock bottom, so you better make damn sure you're not looking at 6 more months of unemployment when you turn in those applications.

chadnsc

Aug 18, 2011, 5:58 AM
Post #13 of 25 (1288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
Let me ask you this, Would you work for walmart, or say Dunkin Donuts, Home depot, ring a cash register? Probably not . I didnt say there was alot of jobs. MANY people just wont settle for less. Take this statement, and it is not an attack hence why not qouted, but just take this one statement and multiply by thousands.

This in my opinion is what the topic is going at. When you bring up class status , please , If you had a white collar job and a house and two cars , you dam straight shouldve have had a saveings, insurance and back up plans. Also not for nothing, my point is if you where an executive of some firm or company and got laid off, maybe you needed to lower your head from the clouds and take a BLUE COLLAR job to humble yourself some. in todays economy sometimes cuts and belt tightning is just how it is. the FEDS only pay a very small % your employer pays into unemployent more then anyone else does, thats why some employers WILL IN FACT fight you for it. when they have lay offs there premium goes up.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

*PLONK*

JoeHamilton

Aug 18, 2011, 7:46 AM
Post #14 of 25 (1277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

*PLONK*

Not PERSONALY, I sir haven't been unemployed. Many of my clients have, I have first handily seen many go on to 2 - 3 extensions. And yes in my state employers have to pay into unemployment . I am not sure what part you are referring to of me not knowing at all what I am talking about. I am Staten an opinion, of collected experience from others, yet it seems you might be focusing on your personal experience, in your state alone. Not sure, and doesnt really matter much. The point is many people DO in fact try and abuse the system, weather it be Unemployment, Welfare, SSDI, they just get complacent, and SURVIVE on the minimum amount.

styndall

Aug 18, 2011, 8:38 AM
Post #15 of 25 (1268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So what's better? Should he just lose his house and move into a homeless shelter? Kicking him out of his house won't create a job for him, it'll just mean another unsold house on the block and lower property values for everyone.

Maybe he should get a job at Taco Bell, not make enough money for his house payment, and still lose his house?

How much punishment will satisfy you?

How much social and economic damage do you need to see before your sense of moral outrage is quenched?

hugepedro

Aug 18, 2011, 9:16 AM
Post #16 of 25 (1261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
So what's better? Should he just lose his house and move into a homeless shelter? Kicking him out of his house won't create a job for him, it'll just mean another unsold house on the block and lower property values for everyone.

Maybe he should get a job at Taco Bell, not make enough money for his house payment, and still lose his house?

How much punishment will satisfy you?

How much social and economic damage do you need to see before your sense of moral outrage is quenched?

This is what I don't get about the righteous indignation that the right has against social safety nets and the people that use them.

Every time the economy dips, people fall off the bottom. The more of those people we can sustain until they can crawl back into the economy, the better off we all are. When a family loses their home their ability to contribute to the economy is downgraded for years to come. Why would anyone think that's a good thing?

Any benefit program will be abused by some people, so what? It is still a net positive for us and the country. It's just part of the investment that is necessary to facilitate a strong economy. It costs us less in the long run, just like paying to maintain bridges costs us less than waiting until they collapse.

uhoh

Aug 18, 2011, 2:24 PM
Post #17 of 25 (1238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:

I would have gone back to, and in fact did go back to, working a cash register in a truck stop after leaving a sales position with an AIG affiliated company. I now clean shitters (and have cleaned shit out of a bathroom sink). I did this because I'm restless and couldn't sit around unemployed. Nor did I realize that I qualified for UI in WI, not that it's mattered much because my pride, for better or worse, restricts me from applying for it.

Coincidentally. I was offered a position with the same company today, the same day I spoke with a USMC recruiter. I have a few decisions to make in the next few days. :/

flesh

Aug 31, 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #18 of 25 (1143 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

I would have gone back to, and in fact did go back to, working a cash register in a truck stop after leaving a sales position with an AIG affiliated company. I now clean shitters (and have cleaned shit out of a bathroom sink). I did this because I'm restless and couldn't sit around unemployed. Nor did I realize that I qualified for UI in WI, not that it's mattered much because my pride, for better or worse, restricts me from applying for it.

Coincidentally. I was offered a position with the same company today, the same day I spoke with a USMC recruiter. I have a few decisions to make in the next few days. :/

Thanks for contributing. You worked hard and it happened for you. It's always that way.

"When I found out I was eligible for the 6 months extension - damned STRAIGHT I to avail! I was on unemployment for a total of 18 months.

WEAK SAUCE. Right, like the gov is going to create successful business owners.

It's not your fault, it's everyone's, the option shouldn't even be there. Certainly never for one n a half years. WTF

I'd love to hear how you justified taking our money for that long. Don't act like someone owes you something, if you want something go get it, no ones stopping you.

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 31, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #19 of 25 (1125 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
petsfed wrote:
Choosing unemployment as a career path. There's a lot of them in ME.
And I'm sure she complains about them mexicans (not even ilegals, but mexicans) soaking up gobment money.

Allfred

Aug 31, 2011, 5:59 AM
Post #20 of 25 (1108 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uhoh wrote:
not that it's mattered much because my pride, for better or worse, restricts me from applying for it.

I get that this girl is abusing the system, but..

It's INSURANCE. Your employer paid that on your behalf.

It's exactly like when you pay private mortgage insurance on behalf of your lender. I bet your lender feels no pangs of pride when they collect on that insurance.

Do you also feel shame when you use your auto, home, or medical insurance?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 31, 2011, 7:44 AM
Post #21 of 25 (1092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
WEAK SAUCE. Right, like the gov is going to create successful business owners.

The g'ment creates successful business owners all the time. Why so you think there is so much lobbying and other influence games?

Partner rrrADAM

Aug 31, 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #22 of 25 (1074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Allfred] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Allfred wrote:
uhoh wrote:
not that it's mattered much because my pride, for better or worse, restricts me from applying for it.

It's exactly like when you pay private mortgage insurance on behalf of your lender. I bet your lender feels no pangs of pride when they collect on that insurance.

This isn't entirely true, as the State is who pays this out, not a for-profit enterprise that makes its money off of insurance, and adjusts it's premiums accordingly to ensure it can pay out PLUS still make money.

Allfred

Aug 31, 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #23 of 25 (1067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] This is why America is in a recession, part 1: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Allfred wrote:
uhoh wrote:

This isn't entirely true, as the State is who pays this out, not a for-profit enterprise that makes its money off of insurance, and adjusts it's premiums accordingly to ensure it can pay out PLUS still make money.

That's up to the states to regulate. State's rights if you will. California claims they are 100% funded. Florida doesn't say.

In reply to:
The UI program is 100% funded by employers who pay taxes on wages paid to employees.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/

This insurance also allows the employer to lay off workers easier - that is less guilt for the employer.

chadnsc

Aug 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #24 of 25 (1059 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
JoeHamilton wrote:

*PLONK*

Not PERSONALY, I sir haven't been unemployed. Many of my clients have, I have first handily seen many go on to 2 - 3 extensions. And yes in my state employers have to pay into unemployment . I am not sure what part you are referring to of me not knowing at all what I am talking about. I am Staten an opinion, of collected experience from others, yet it seems you might be focusing on your personal experience, in your state alone. Not sure, and doesnt really matter much. The point is many people DO in fact try and abuse the system, weather it be Unemployment, Welfare, SSDI, they just get complacent, and SURVIVE on the minimum amount.

You still have no idea what you're talking about but alas you still think you do. Unsure

petsfed

Aug 31, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #25 of 25 (1035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeHamilton wrote:
The point is many people DO in fact try and abuse the system, weather it be Unemployment, Welfare, SSDI, they just get complacent, and SURVIVE on the minimum amount.

Many as an actual number, or many as a percentage. Considering that we've 13.9 million unemployed people right now, even 10,000 abusing the system is less than 1%.

Like I said, I've been turned down by Walmart and McDonalds. Holding out for a better job might mean holding out for one that you can take the bus to, or gives you a health plan. And if taking whatever job presents itself boots you out of unemployment insurance, you might end up quite a bit worse off than if you'd never taken the job. When I was unemployed, I lived off savings and went to school. And I looked for every way I could minimize my risk of a big expenditure. Every time I took the car out, I was hypermiling, driving more carefully than usual, anything I could do make sure that I wouldn't have to put more gas in the tank or pay for repairs.

If you've never been unemployed, you don't understand just how frightening and frustrating it can be. I was lucky, I had family that could help me out. I might not be so lucky next time.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook