Forums: Climbing Information: Accident and Incident Analysis:
High altitude rescue
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Accident and Incident Analysis

Premier Sponsor:

 


macblaze


Aug 15, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4240 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 23, 2005
Posts: 807

High altitude rescue
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Parks Canada rescuers used a helicopter to pluck two stranded climbers from a 3,600-metre-high mountain peak in Yoho National Park on Sunday.

Taking a helicopter that high almost scares me more than the mountain....

http://www.cbc.ca/...mountain-rescue.html


rock_fencer


Aug 15, 2011, 6:40 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4231 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 7, 2005
Posts: 752

Re: [macblaze] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

for some reason i recall that there is a standing line rescue heli in the Himalayas up to 7K

either way, so very strange to get to the top and not have a plan to get down


bearbreeder


Aug 15, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4226 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [macblaze] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

parks canada rescue deserve their beers ...

on another note ... there was a heli rescue from yak peak as well ...


onrockandice


Aug 16, 2011, 7:28 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4102 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 16, 2009
Posts: 355

Re: [macblaze] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So am I right that these guys decided to climb a peak (and I doubt they are the FA) and didn't know how to get off it? That seems really... well... {insert your own expression and I'll agree}.

How do you alpine climb and not know how to exit?


dan2see


Aug 16, 2011, 7:53 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4092 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Posts: 1497

Re: [onrockandice] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

onrockandice wrote:
So am I right that these guys decided to climb a peak (and I doubt they are the FA) and didn't know how to get off it? That seems really... well... {insert your own expression and I'll agree}.

How do you alpine climb and not know how to exit?

The story (here is the same link again) Climbers saved in 3,600-metre heli-rescue
does not tell about how the climbers got there, nor about how they could get down.
The story tells about how they used a SPOT beacon to call for rescue, and how the Parks Canada team got there.

I believe the news item on CBC-TV said they were exhausted, and their video shows the summit terrain as being impossible to navigate. It also showed a lot of fresh snow in the rocks, and visual angle looked chaotic.

I guess that if they had not called for help, they would have died somewhere on the summit rocks, maybe next day.


onrockandice


Aug 16, 2011, 7:55 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4087 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 16, 2009
Posts: 355

Re: [dan2see] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Good points. There is always more to the situation isn't there. I think it's easy to be an 5.15 couch climber when you weren't there. Good points.


JohnCook


Aug 16, 2011, 8:57 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 26, 2006
Posts: 221

Re: [onrockandice] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dumb? Stupid? Idiotic? Moronic? Mindless? Inane? Selfish? Inprepared? Inept? Hopefull? Clueless? etc?
Typical of many of the modern climbers I have been in contact with, if life screws up someone else will help me out, so I don't need to be self-sufficient! (Maybe not just in climbing, but the whole of life.)


overlord


Aug 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4028 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 25, 2002
Posts: 14120

Re: [bearbreeder] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

bearbreeder wrote:
parks canada rescue deserve their beers ...

on another note ... there was a heli rescue from yak peak as well ...

this and not checking the weather report seems to be the norm where i come from (slovenia)... during the summer we average at least three heli rescues per week-end and i dont even want to know how many ordinary ones. some ppl just never learn...


majid_sabet


Aug 25, 2011, 9:45 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3856 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8368

Re: [macblaze] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

macblaze wrote:
In reply to:
Parks Canada rescuers used a helicopter to pluck two stranded climbers from a 3,600-metre-high mountain peak in Yoho National Park on Sunday.

Taking a helicopter that high almost scares me more than the mountain....

http://www.cbc.ca/...mountain-rescue.html

3600 meter is not a high alt rescue

if you had 6000 meter or more then yes, you can call it high alt rescue


hugepedro


Aug 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3837 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2002
Posts: 2875

Re: [majid_sabet] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
macblaze wrote:
In reply to:
Parks Canada rescuers used a helicopter to pluck two stranded climbers from a 3,600-metre-high mountain peak in Yoho National Park on Sunday.

Taking a helicopter that high almost scares me more than the mountain....

http://www.cbc.ca/...mountain-rescue.html

3600 meter is not a high alt rescue

if you had 6000 meter or more then yes, you can call it high alt rescue

Technically, you're wrong, in terms of the medical definitions of altitude.


In reply to:
Altitude is defined on the following scale:

High altitude: 8,000 - 12,000 feet (2,438 - 3,658 meters);
Very high altitude: 12,000 - 18,000 feet (3,658 - 5,487 meters); and
Extremely high altitude: 18,000+ feet (5,500+ meters).

http://www.medterms.com/....asp?articlekey=8578


majid_sabet


Aug 25, 2011, 10:23 AM
Post #11 of 15 (3819 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8368

Re: [hugepedro] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
macblaze wrote:
In reply to:
Parks Canada rescuers used a helicopter to pluck two stranded climbers from a 3,600-metre-high mountain peak in Yoho National Park on Sunday.

Taking a helicopter that high almost scares me more than the mountain....

http://www.cbc.ca/...mountain-rescue.html

3600 meter is not a high alt rescue

if you had 6000 meter or more then yes, you can call it high alt rescue

Technically, you're wrong, in terms of the medical definitions of altitude.


In reply to:
Altitude is defined on the following scale:

High altitude: 8,000 - 12,000 feet (2,438 - 3,658 meters);
Very high altitude: 12,000 - 18,000 feet (3,658 - 5,487 meters); and
Extremely high altitude: 18,000+ feet (5,500+ meters).

http://www.medterms.com/....asp?articlekey=8578

since when medical doctors in hospital became experts in high alt rescue ?


altelis


Aug 25, 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3783 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 10, 2004
Posts: 2168

Re: [majid_sabet] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

http://www.wms.org/


hugepedro


Aug 25, 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #13 of 15 (3776 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 28, 2002
Posts: 2875

Re: [majid_sabet] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
macblaze wrote:
In reply to:
Parks Canada rescuers used a helicopter to pluck two stranded climbers from a 3,600-metre-high mountain peak in Yoho National Park on Sunday.

Taking a helicopter that high almost scares me more than the mountain....

http://www.cbc.ca/...mountain-rescue.html

3600 meter is not a high alt rescue

if you had 6000 meter or more then yes, you can call it high alt rescue

Technically, you're wrong, in terms of the medical definitions of altitude.


In reply to:
Altitude is defined on the following scale:

High altitude: 8,000 - 12,000 feet (2,438 - 3,658 meters);
Very high altitude: 12,000 - 18,000 feet (3,658 - 5,487 meters); and
Extremely high altitude: 18,000+ feet (5,500+ meters).

http://www.medterms.com/....asp?articlekey=8578

since when medical doctors in hospital became experts in high alt rescue ?

Who cares? I just like it because it makes me an EXTREME climber!


dan2see


Aug 25, 2011, 12:46 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3736 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 28, 2006
Posts: 1497

Re: [majid_sabet] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
macblaze wrote:
In reply to:
Parks Canada rescuers used a helicopter to pluck two stranded climbers from a 3,600-metre-high mountain peak in Yoho National Park on Sunday.

Taking a helicopter that high almost scares me more than the mountain....

http://www.cbc.ca/...mountain-rescue.html

3600 meter is not a high alt rescue

if you had 6000 meter or more then yes, you can call it high alt rescue

Why oh why do our experts have to be such drips?

The story was not about a high-altitude climb. It's about a high-altitude rescue.

Jeez, does every f-ing expert have to be so f-ing right?


majid_sabet


Aug 25, 2011, 1:10 PM
Post #15 of 15 (3718 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 12, 2002
Posts: 8368

Re: [hugepedro] High altitude rescue [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
macblaze wrote:
In reply to:
Parks Canada rescuers used a helicopter to pluck two stranded climbers from a 3,600-metre-high mountain peak in Yoho National Park on Sunday.

Taking a helicopter that high almost scares me more than the mountain....

http://www.cbc.ca/...mountain-rescue.html

3600 meter is not a high alt rescue

if you had 6000 meter or more then yes, you can call it high alt rescue

Technically, you're wrong, in terms of the medical definitions of altitude.


In reply to:
Altitude is defined on the following scale:

High altitude: 8,000 - 12,000 feet (2,438 - 3,658 meters);
Very high altitude: 12,000 - 18,000 feet (3,658 - 5,487 meters); and
Extremely high altitude: 18,000+ feet (5,500+ meters).

http://www.medterms.com/....asp?articlekey=8578

since when medical doctors in hospital became experts in high alt rescue ?

Who cares? I just like it because it makes me an EXTREME climber!

once you start thinking you are an extreme climber, you began crossing point of no return and I&A is full of such resumes


Forums : Climbing Information : Accident and Incident Analysis

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook