Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

ceebo

Aug 15, 2011, 9:31 PM
Post #1 of 62 (15418 views)
Shortcut

Weight lifting powder?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

This shit is full of protein and carbs, just wondering if anybody else has used it and if they think it is worth while?.

spikeddem

Aug 15, 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #2 of 62 (15382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Weight lifting powder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

There are too many powdered substances sold to weight lifters to know what you're referencing.

Many sources suggest after an intense day of anaerobic exercise (performance climbing or anaerobic climbing training, but probably not ARC) it is beneficial to have an easily digestible protein with a source of both complex and simple carbohydrates.

I have been experimenting for less than a week now with what I use to use in my weight lifting days. It consists of water, whey, maltodextrin, and dextrose. For information on it, read here. Depending on your electrolyte intake, you may choose to add salt.

Any kind of "supplement," is just that. A supplement. A healthy diet should serve as a solid back bone to any supplements you decide to use.

Finally, it is usually cheaper to make mixed powders on your own (i.e., buy the whey, maltodextrin, and dextrose separately). Doing so will also allow you to alter the ratios of whey:maltodextrin:dextrose as you see fit.

sungam

Aug 16, 2011, 10:48 AM
Post #3 of 62 (15318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] Weight lifting powder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just out of curiosity, Spike, is there a reason you prefer not to have a very high GI carb like glucose in your mix? My "dream" post workout shake would be 4:1 carbs to protein with a quarter of the carbs as glucose, 2 quarters as saccharides, and a quarter as poly saccharides. And it would be chocolate flavored Smile

And Ceebo, there are tons of different powders sold to weight lifters. I mean tons. Some I can name off the top of my head:
Protein powder
recovery shakes
creatine MH
creatine EE
Nitrious oxide
N.O. Xplode
carb shakes
CLA

?

rtwilli4

Aug 16, 2011, 11:03 AM
Post #4 of 62 (15308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm generally too poor to buy that kind of stuff but I suppose if you'd rather spend money on protien powder than road trips then go right ahead.

What I try to do is take some leftover chicken breast and pasta to the gym w/ me so I can eat right after I cool down.

Seriously though, if you are really looking into suppliments, it would be worth meticulously disecting your diet before hand. There is no reason to spend a bunch of money on suppliments if your diet is fucked up. 90% of the world could eat healthier without spending any more money than they already do...

sungam

Aug 16, 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #5 of 62 (15307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Weight lifting powder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey dude, have I given you my non-fat chocolate milk rant yet? The illest of cheap post workout nutrition!!

spikeddem

Aug 16, 2011, 2:23 PM
Post #6 of 62 (15266 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Weight lifting powder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Spike, is there a reason you prefer not to have a very high GI carb like glucose in your mix?

Dextrose = Glucose

sungam

Aug 16, 2011, 2:33 PM
Post #7 of 62 (15260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
sungam wrote:
Just out of curiosity, Spike, is there a reason you prefer not to have a very high GI carb like glucose in your mix?

Dextrose = Glucose
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LaughLaughLaughLaugh

Duh! I was thinking Maltose. hehe.

Edit to add: And maltodextrine is fast release as well.

I hereby submit my temporary retirement from using long words without getting confruzed.

(This post was edited by sungam on Aug 16, 2011, 2:45 PM)

spikeddem

Aug 16, 2011, 2:34 PM
Post #8 of 62 (15258 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
I'm generally too poor to buy that kind of stuff but I suppose if you'd rather spend money on protien powder than road trips then go right ahead.

Seems like a false dichotomy to me.

Each drink I have costs me exactly $1.00 to make. A can of tuna has about an equivalent amount of protein, and pasta may be another $0.10. Where I live, that amounts to about $0.89, a difference of $0.11. That difference is only on like 3-4 days out of the week. In a year, you'll save $20.02. Is $20.02 the difference between going on a trip and not? Not even close.

ceebo

Aug 16, 2011, 2:43 PM
Post #9 of 62 (15251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:

What I try to do is take some leftover chicken breast and pasta to the gym w/ me so I can eat right after I cool down.

Seriously though, if you are really looking into suppliments, it would be worth meticulously disecting your diet before hand. There is no reason to spend a bunch of money on suppliments if your diet is fucked up. 90% of the world could eat healthier without spending any more money than they already do...

£30 pound a month (although mine was only 20) for 2 drinks per day is not what i would call expensive. For example, buying only 1 sports drink per day at £1.20 amounts to allot more.

http://www.customisedsupplements.com/...asp?c=24&p=12624

Im not too sure if this is the right kind of drink. I will be putting on some muscle with the campusing so i figured this drink would be ideal for that phase. WIll suck to be wrong.. since ive been using it for 2 weeks. On the other hand, i fart every minute now ;p.. hopefully thats a sign of a good thing.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Aug 16, 2011, 2:47 PM)

sungam

Aug 16, 2011, 2:50 PM
Post #10 of 62 (15240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
£30 pound a month (although mine was only 20) for 2 drinks per day is not what i would call expensive. For example, buying only 1 sports drink per day at £1.20 amounts to allot more.

Im not too sure if this is the right kind of drink. I will be putting on some muscle with the campusing so i figured this drink would be ideal for that phase. WIll suck to be wrong.. since ive been using it for 2 weeks. On the other hand, i fart every minute now ;p.. hopefully thats a sign of a good thing.
Are you using the shake on rest days, or just post workout?

ceebo

Aug 16, 2011, 3:09 PM
Post #11 of 62 (15231 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

I work allot and use a damn lot of energy before i even step onto a wall. So yes, i use it every day along with what ever food i have the time to ram down my throat between jobs.

spikeddem

Aug 16, 2011, 3:15 PM
Post #12 of 62 (15225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

I work allot and use a damn lot of energy before i even step onto a wall. So yes, i use it every day along with what ever food i have the time to ram down my throat between jobs.

Based upon this, I'd get rid of the supplements and square away your diet. Aren't you an apprentice of flesh? You know he'd say you need to square away your diet, too.

ceebo

Aug 16, 2011, 3:24 PM
Post #13 of 62 (15207 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Based upon this, I'd get rid of the supplements and square away your diet. Aren't you an apprentice of flesh? You know he'd say you need to square away your diet, too.

No, i'm an apprentice of jay actually. I have not used spell check for some 10 posts now. He has either gave up on me Mad or my spelling has drastically improved to the point where he let's it slide Cool.

Ehh.. besides, i could not get over 8% body fat even if i tried. Diet for me is a simple matter of ''does it have carbs in it''.. yes, ''eat it''.

spikeddem

Aug 16, 2011, 4:03 PM
Post #14 of 62 (15185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

No, i'm an apprentice of jay actually. I have not used spell check for some 10 posts now. He has either gave up on me Mad or my spelling has drastically improved to the point where he let's it slide Cool.

Ehh.. besides, i could not get over 8% body fat even if i tried. Diet for me is a simple matter of ''does it have carbs in it''.. yes, ''eat it''.

I'm not talking about losing weight. I'm talking about eating right. Your last sentence clearly shows you do not. Therefore, your supplements won't be as beneficial as they could be.

ceebo

Aug 16, 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #15 of 62 (15139 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

I'm not talking about losing weight. I'm talking about eating right. Your last sentence clearly shows you do not. Therefore, your supplements won't be as beneficial as they could be.

Spike, tbph m8 i can not be fucking arsed to stick to the kinda diets the likes of you and flesh can. Like when you said my training plan took all the fun out of climbing.. to me, being that maticuless about what i eat does the same.

Btw for the small effort it takes to mix a glass of milk with some powder.. even if it only benifits me 5%, im happy to pay £20 a month for that. Judging from the peak in my stamina lately it feels more like 20%.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Aug 16, 2011, 10:27 PM)

shimanilami

Aug 16, 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #16 of 62 (15131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From my perspective, the real advantage of the powder mixes is that I can keep them in the trunk of my car or under my desk at work. I'd love it if I had the free time to cook a nutritious, tasty meal for before and after each workout, but I don't. I do have time, however, to dump of couple of scoops into a Nalgene, shake it up, and slam it down. It's not as enjoyable as a real meal, but it beats going hungry or hypoglycemic, to be sure.

spikeddem

Aug 16, 2011, 10:55 PM
Post #17 of 62 (15128 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Spike, tbph m8 i can not be fucking arsed to stick to the kinda diets the likes of you and flesh can. Like when you said my training plan took all the fun out of climbing.. to me, being that maticuless about what i eat does the same.

Btw for the small effort it takes to mix a glass of milk with some powder.. even if it only benifits me 5%, im happy to pay £20 a month for that. Judging from the peak in my stamina lately it feels more like 20%.

If you're not trying to lose weight, there's no need to keep such meticulous records. When trying to lose weight, I concern myself with both quality AND quantity. If wasn't worry about weight (your situation), then I'd only be worried about quality. That's what I'm saying.

If you're already saying it benefits you 20%, then I'm not really sure why you asked your question. You seem to have already decided the answer.

damienclimber

Aug 16, 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #18 of 62 (15122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

Each drink I have costs me exactly $1.00 to make. A can of tuna has about an equivalent amount of protein, and pasta may be another $0.10. Where I live, that amounts to about $0.89, a difference of $0.11. That difference is only on like 3-4 days out of the week. In a year, you'll save $20.02. Is $20.02 the difference between going on a trip and not? Not even close.

You have in all figured out ! clever.

spikeddem

Aug 17, 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #19 of 62 (15111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Weight lifting powder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:

You have in all figured out ! clever.

Also, today when I was looking at my excel file, I noticed that the cost for 23 grams of protein from chicken is $1.00 worth of chicken, whereas it is $0.64 worth of whey.

ceebo

Aug 17, 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #20 of 62 (15107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

If you're not trying to lose weight, there's no need to keep such meticulous records. When trying to lose weight, I concern myself with both quality AND quantity. If wasn't worry about weight (your situation), then I'd only be worried about quality. That's what I'm saying.

If you're already saying it benefits you 20%, then I'm not really sure why you asked your question. You seem to have already decided the answer.

Yes, but im open to the idea i may be kidding myself on that.. to not feel like i wasted 20 quid, and thats why i asked for others who use it to comment.

sungam

Aug 17, 2011, 8:59 AM
Post #21 of 62 (15007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Weight lifting powder? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Something weird is going on, you came off of the file list as well?

Oh well.

*plonk*

sungam

Aug 17, 2011, 10:07 AM
Post #22 of 62 (14996 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Ceebo, my man, can you give us a quick rundown on what you usually eat?

We aren't telling you to go crackhead out and eat that nasty kale shit that (I think it was flesh) was nomming on a while back.

So, what do you usually eat in a day?

ceebo

Aug 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #23 of 62 (14989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:

We aren't telling you to go crackhead out and eat that nasty kale shit that (I think it was flesh) was nomming on a while back.

What ever i can. Yesterday i had

Morning - cornflakes
Afternoone - a twix Laugh
Tea time - pizza
Night time - mince and dumplins with veg and so

I do usually have dinner, just not that day.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 17, 2011, 11:52 AM
Post #24 of 62 (14985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
spikeddem wrote:
ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:
ceebo wrote:

A true apprentice of jay doesn't make up percentages.

sungam

Aug 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #25 of 62 (14985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
sungam wrote:

What ever i can. Yesterday i had

Morning - cornflakes
Afternoone - a twix Laugh
Tea time - pizza
Night time - mince and dumplins with veg and so

I do usually have dinner, just not that day.
Well, not ideal. Try switching out your cornflakes for some of that nummy musli shit with fruit and nuts in it, or something. Just get something in that first meal other then carbs and salt.

Try to get some fruit in there, too. Some fruit juice or smoothy maybe? Tesco usually has pretty good deals on their smoothies compared to the "innocent"ones. If you just have time for a quick bar in the afternoon, check out deep blue nutrition (or other sites) on the net, they got some reasonable prices on meal replacement bars that have pretty decent levels of vitamins and minerals in them. Maybe get some dried fruit/nut mix on the go or something?

Nutrition isn't just about carb/fat/protein ratios. There is a slew of essential minerals and vitamins that your muscles and the rest of your body need to perform at their optimum level.

Edit to add: Ceebo, I have the impression you live in the UK. Am I right? Otherwise a lot of that ^ advice is kinda useless.

(This post was edited by sungam on Aug 17, 2011, 12:02 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook