Premier Sponsor:

hugepedro

Aug 18, 2011, 8:53 AM
Post #1 of 19 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle"
Report this Post
Can't Post

Government spending is the reason for the net increase in employment in Texas. How will the tea partiers stomach this annoying fact? Oh wait, they are experts at fact denial. Nevermind.

http://www.usnews.com/...vulnerabilities.html

In reply to:
Between the beginning of 2008 and the end of 2010 (the latest data available), Texas created about 75,000 jobs. That makes it one of the few states with any job creation at all over that time. But federal, state and local government hiring accounted for 115,000 new jobs in Texas, while private industry shed about 40,000 jobs. The private sector has definitely held up much better in Texas than it has elsewhere. Since 2008, private-sector employment has shrunk by 6.6 percent nationally, but only by 0.5 percent in Texas. Still, Perry can't credibly claim that private industry has been responsible for job growth in Texas, since it has actually shed jobs.

traddad

Aug 18, 2011, 9:51 AM
Post #2 of 19 (993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
Government spending is the reason for the net increase in employment in Texas. How will the tea partiers stomach this annoying fact? Oh wait, they are experts at fact denial. Nevermind.

Global climate change is a hoax
Endangered species don't matter
Oil will last forever
Giving tax breaks to the rich creates jobs
Obama caused the recession
The birth certificate is a fake
The earth is only 5000 years old
The earth is flat.

traddad

Aug 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
Post #3 of 19 (984 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...and GawdJeebusGhosty roolz.

hugepedro

Aug 18, 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #4 of 19 (982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Oil will last forever
The earth is flat.

My cousin is a tea partier, and she posted a FB status yesterday about how global warming is a myth and evolution is junk science.

scrapedape

Aug 18, 2011, 10:34 AM
Post #5 of 19 (982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Oil will last forever
The earth is flat.

2 + 2 = 5

squierbypetzl

Aug 18, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #6 of 19 (967 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
traddad wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Oil will last forever
The earth is flat.

2 + 2 = 5

That depends on your definition of "2" and "5".

flesh

Aug 31, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #7 of 19 (903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:

http://www.usnews.com/...vulnerabilities.html

In reply to:
Between the beginning of 2008 and the end of 2010 (the latest data available), Texas created about 75,000 jobs. That makes it one of the few states with any job creation at all over that time. But federal, state and local government hiring accounted for 115,000 new jobs in Texas, while private industry shed about 40,000 jobs. The private sector has definitely held up much better in Texas than it has elsewhere. Since 2008, private-sector employment has shrunk by 6.6 percent nationally, but only by 0.5 percent in Texas. Still, Perry can't credibly claim that private industry has been responsible for job growth in Texas, since it has actually shed jobs.

Apparently, you would prefer 6.6 percent to .5%?

If his policies created enought jobs to almost offset all the losses, that's pretty amazing in this economy. Since your interested in the topic, why don't you look into how Perry and the rest of tx managed to lose so few private sector jobs.

If we spent our time talking about what politicians say but don't do, we'd die debating. What matters is what they do. Wait a sec, newscast, guantanamo was just shut down. Right.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 31, 2011, 7:37 AM
Post #8 of 19 (873 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:

If his policies created enought jobs to almost offset all the losses, that's pretty amazing in this economy. Since your interested in the topic, why don't you look into how Perry and the rest of tx managed to lose so few private sector jobs.

Or you could read the article linked.

flesh wrote:
If we spent our time talking about what politicians say but don't do, we'd die debating. What matters is what they do. Wait a sec, newscast, guantanamo was just shut down. Right.

What does gitmo have to do with the qualifications of (another) texas governor?

Do you hope to either change the subject so people don't honestly look at his qualifications or are you saying it is OK that he lies about his qualifications because all politicians at some point lie?

flesh

Aug 31, 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #9 of 19 (859 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
flesh wrote:

Or you could read the article linked.

flesh wrote:

What does gitmo have to do with the qualifications of (another) texas governor?

Do you hope to either change the subject so people don't honestly look at his qualifications or are you saying it is OK that he lies about his qualifications because all politicians at some point lie?

They all lie, obama said he would close gitmo. Since they all lie, you can not measure one by whether they lie or not. If they we're totally honest they would look like Ron Paul, lol. They all have good reasons for lying. For all we know, he could have created jobs, as the studies go through 2010, in 2011 the total number of private sector jobs created wouldn't need to be that great to get back to positive. We don't have those numbers, maybe he does. Maybe if you started the test in 2007 instead of 08' the numbers would be different, we don't know and there's not specific reason to start and end the calculation timeline when they did in your article. If you don't think they wanted the numbers to match the story, you don't understand people.

I'm sure the Rickster will win, i'd prefer Romney, simply because he's the smartest guy in the room.

The same article was in the recent time magazine as well and I read it. It's more detailed.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 31, 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #10 of 19 (842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
They all lie, obama said he would close gitmo. Since they all lie, you can not measure one by whether they lie or not. If they we're totally honest they would look like Ron Paul, lol.
So, basically a fact so off topic as to be useless. But lying liars and the lures they tell may be an ok thread - but it would take agreement on what is a bigger and more egregious lie.
flesh wrote:

They all have good reasons for lying. For all we know, he could have created jobs, as the studies go through 2010, in 2011 the total number of private sector jobs created wouldn't need to be that great to get back to positive. We don't have those numbers, maybe he does. Maybe if you started the test in 2007 instead of 08' the numbers would be different, we don't know and there's not specific reason to start and end the calculation timeline when they did in your article. If you don't think they wanted the numbers to match the story, you don't understand people.
The start of 2008 was when the recession started, it wasn't chosen to make any point. Which numbers were chosen were to make the point, for example there is no mention of housing prices.

On the whole, if RP's pitch is "I know how to run a banana republic with a small g'ment and have solid economy" he would be, at best, exaggerating.

If his pitch is (in the primary) "I'm a RNJ just like you" then he isn't lying and may get the nomination.
flesh wrote:

I'm sure the Rickster will win, i'd prefer Romney, simply because he's the smartest guy in the room.

The same article was in the recent time magazine as well and I read it. It's more detailed.

The election all comes down to the price of oil. While $84 is considered the magic number for the economy, I think the election will hinge on about $95. Over that and the republican nominee wins the white house.

traddad

Aug 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #11 of 19 (836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The election all comes down to the price of oil. While $84 is considered the magic number for the economy, I think the election will hinge on about $95. Over that and the republican nominee wins the white house.

Even with someone as radioactive as Perry? For a professional politician seeking the presidency, he has made (and continues to double down on) some incredibly impolitic statements. If a candidate indeed needs the middle of the road/independents to win, his statements on evolution, global climate change )and science in general), social security and all the Fundie shit will solidly put him in the Fundamentalist right wing of his party. Given that the Tea Party has a lower favorability rating than Muslims do, here in the US, I wonder if any Tea Bag Tickler will have a shot. I'm more frightened of Romney...although he seems to think he needs to go hard right, now.

Unfortunately, come November, Obama seems to think he'll be able to beat the least damaged clown to tumble out of the Republican clown car. That makes him complacent.
(I stole that last bit)

(This post was edited by traddad on Aug 31, 2011, 12:59 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 31, 2011, 12:59 PM
Post #12 of 19 (826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:

Even with someone as radioactive as Perry? For professional politician seeking the presidency, he has made (and continues to double down on) some incredibly impolitic statements. If any candidate indeed needs the middle of the road/independents to win, his statements on evolution, global climate change and science in general, social security and all the Fundie shit will solidly put him in the Fundamentalist right wing of his party. Given that the Tea Party has a lower favorability rating than Muslims do, here in the US, I wonder if any Tea Bag Tickler will have a shot. I'm more frightened of Romney...although he seems to think he needs to go hard right, now.

Unfortunately, come November, Obama seems to think he'll be able to beat the least damaged clown to tumble out of the Republican clown car.
(I stole that last bit)

We could easily have Ronald Reagan part duh.

traddad

Aug 31, 2011, 1:23 PM
Post #13 of 19 (819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:

Even with someone as radioactive as Perry? For professional politician seeking the presidency, he has made (and continues to double down on) some incredibly impolitic statements. If any candidate indeed needs the middle of the road/independents to win, his statements on evolution, global climate change and science in general, social security and all the Fundie shit will solidly put him in the Fundamentalist right wing of his party. Given that the Tea Party has a lower favorability rating than Muslims do, here in the US, I wonder if any Tea Bag Tickler will have a shot. I'm more frightened of Romney...although he seems to think he needs to go hard right, now.

Unfortunately, come November, Obama seems to think he'll be able to beat the least damaged clown to tumble out of the Republican clown car.
(I stole that last bit)

Rick Perry is NO Ronald Reagan.
I find it horribly frightning to think that when RR was prez, he made Nixon look good. When Bush II was Prez, he made Ronnie look good. I shudder to think that Perry will make Shrub look good...but that's about the size if it. That's the arc of the Republican Party.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 31, 2011, 1:40 PM
Post #14 of 19 (815 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:

(I stole that last bit)

I find it horribly frightning to think that when RR was prez, he made Nixon look good. When Bush II was Prez, he made Ronnie look good. I shudder to think that Perry will make Shrub look good...but that's about the size if it. That's the arc of the Republican Party.

You are just getting old. As time goes on you forget how bad the old guys were and how irrelevant the current ones are.

traddad

Aug 31, 2011, 1:46 PM
Post #15 of 19 (814 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:

(I stole that last bit)

You are just getting old. As time goes on you forget how bad the old guys were and how irrelevant the current ones are.

Nixon signed the Clean Water Act and presided over the mainstreaming of the environmental movement.

Ronald Reagan had a sane tax policy.

Can't say much good about Shrub, other than he made for a good joke...

I think you're too young to remember a relatively sane Republican Party.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 31, 2011, 2:01 PM
Post #16 of 19 (810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:

(I stole that last bit)

Nixon signed the Clean Water Act and presided over the mainstreaming of the environmental movement.

Nixon subverted the constitution to control the presidency of the US.

Ray gun subverted the constitution to promote his foreign policy

Bush the lesser subverted the constitution to keep terrorists locked up and torture them.

No one who posts here is old enough to remember a same republican party.

You pick the year and I'll demonstrate republican craziness.

styndall

Aug 31, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #17 of 19 (792 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:

(I stole that last bit)

Reagan had a sane tax policy? Like, cut the high end marginal rates like crazy while spending insane amounts on crazy military projects, all while putting more people in jail than ever before?

traddad

Aug 31, 2011, 3:32 PM
Post #18 of 19 (788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:

(I stole that last bit)

Reagan had a sane tax policy? Like, cut the high end marginal rates like crazy while spending insane amounts on crazy military projects, all while putting more people in jail than ever before?

Sorry, as soon as I posted and walked out the door I remembered the word "relatively"...relative to shrub.

damienclimber

Aug 31, 2011, 4:39 PM
Post #19 of 19 (780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] Obama deserves more credit than Perry for "Texas Miracle" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

styndall wrote:
traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:
traddad wrote:

(I stole that last bit)

Reagan had a sane tax policy? Like, cut the high end marginal rates like crazy while spending insane amounts on crazy military projects,

all while putting more people in jail than ever before?

A Texas BBQ- We tell the locals, its a gourmet style baby-back ribs,
Of course we should be selective on who we choose from jail, nah screw it !
Can't wait to see em lick their fingers and toes Wink

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$4.95 (10% off)
$7.16 (10% off)
$233.96 (10% off)
$80.06 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook