RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

MarcelS

Aug 21, 2011, 9:48 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2632 views)
Shortcut

My first trad experience
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

After posting a thread with some questions about trad gear, I got an invitation to come and climb in the German Pfalz region, and get my first experience with trad climbing. Of course I gladly accepted!

So Saturday moring around 6:30 I started driving the 500 kilometers towards the Pfalz, where I arrived around 12am. Met the guy who invited me, went to the campground, and set up my tent. Figured that I did not want to do that after climbing :-)
And then, off we went to the rocks. Sandstone towers all over the place, though we went to a wall that did remind me a bit of Berdorf in Luxembourg.

We decided that he would lead a 2 pitch route, which I woudl then follow and clean, so I could learn from the placements. And it was a very nice route as well, easy to climb (especially following), and a great view from the top. Then we both rappelled down, and it was my turn.
Suddenly the same route seemed a lot harder, as I had to figure out which piece I had to use, and how I should best place it. Still I felt confident enough to use only 4 pieces on the second (longest) pitch! Really had a blast climbing this route and placing my own protection, and trusting that same protection as well. It did take me some time, but I did get at the top and belayed my second up to there as well.

Since those 2 climbs did cost quite some time, I already wanted to coil up my rope, when he asked me if I wanted to do one more route on lead. Which was a crack climb, with a very difficult start, but not too difficult after that. Apparently it was the first route that he did lead when he climbed in that area. Of course I said yes!
Again, the route was a lot more difficult then it would have been when there were bolts, but I did it onsight anyway. And got hooked on trad climbing... if only the gear was not that expensive!!

Too bad that my climbing partner could not make it on Sunday, so I decided to do some solo toproping. But... soon after I cleaned up my camping spot, it started raining hard. So in the end I drove the 5.5 hours back home, and got some terrible weather on the way back. A row of cars driving 60km/hour on a German highway... ample sight because of the heavy rain. Eventually I made it home, tired but satisfied. And realizing that I need more gear!!!

TarHeelEMT

Aug 21, 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2603 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MarcelS] My first trad experience [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Awesome!

uni_jim

Aug 22, 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good stuff!

iidesu

Sep 2, 2011, 7:34 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2400 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for sharing this incredible experience!

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook