RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

crackbaby

Nov 19, 2001, 8:08 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1570 views)
Shortcut

yosemite
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am wondering about climbing in Yosemite in late march. I'm in the 5.7, 5.8 trad range (I have a meager rack-a set of wires and a set of hexes, and a few other small pieces I picked up at clearance sales) and up to 5.10 c/d in sport.

Any recomendations for a guidebook? weather to be expected???
thanks

paulc

Nov 20, 2001, 5:40 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1570 views)
Shortcut

yosemite [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, seeing how no one else has picked up on this in the rush of the past week. Here goes.

I assume that you mean free climbing when you talk about climbing at Yos. There are two major guide books for Yos. One for free climbs and one for aid climbs. Both are by Don Reid. I think the free climb one is called Yosemite Free climbs. There is also a bouldering book by Don as well.

You can check here for good beta regarding some routes including some gear lists. http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~qtluong/mountain/yosemite/

Check supertopos.com for info on classics like Snake Dike and Astroman. Also has a good list of climbs to do in your first week.

Weather is kinda wack sometimes. At any time there can be afternoon thundershowers that blow in and out in 3-4 hours. Happened to me. It hailed grape sized pieces of hail for 1.5hrs and then cleared up for a great sunset. Climbing season in the valley is from April to June, and from Sept to Oct. In the middle of summer better to head up to the meadows, it will be cooler and much less crowded.

Check the routes DB here, I'm not sure how full it is, but there may be some good info there.

If anyone else has info I'm sure crack would appreciate it.

Paul

paulc

Nov 20, 2001, 5:44 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1570 views)
Shortcut

yosemite [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hmmm, PS this topic should probably be moved and linked to the Yos route DB page in the forums.

Paul

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook