Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

j0nathan

Aug 22, 2011, 7:20 AM
Post #1 of 28 (8292 views)
Shortcut

convincing parents :S
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi
i am 17 years old (turned 17 2 months ago ) and i am a skydiver. recently i met another skydiver at the dropzone and we started talking about other cool sports. he told me that he was doing climbing and that it is an awesome sport and that i should check it out. i started reading articles about climbing at looking at videos and i realy like it.i live in an area which is quite good for climbing.the only problem which is keeping me from starting climbing is that my dad doesnt likes the idea of me going climbing.he thinks that the sport is very dangerous and wont alow me to do it. i think that i might be able to convince him to let me try climbing if i have a few very good arguments pro climbing.do you know any good points or arguments which might convince him ? i could just wait untill i am 18 and do it then without his permission but i would rather have him on my side and not go against his decission.

thx a lot for all answers :)
(btw sry for bad english, english isnt my first language)

Partner j_ung

Aug 22, 2011, 11:10 AM
Post #2 of 28 (8249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j0nathan] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Find the website for your most local climbing gym and show him pics of little kids climbing at birthday parties. Tell him you don't have to just jump into it. Youu can take lessons and go about this in a smart manner that makes it no more dangerous than skydiving.

gblauer

Aug 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
Post #3 of 28 (8244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

IN the US most drop zones won't let kids skydive if you are under 18.

Where do you live?

herites

Aug 22, 2011, 1:54 PM
Post #4 of 28 (8198 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Probably not in the US :)

jacques

Aug 22, 2011, 3:12 PM
Post #5 of 28 (8161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j0nathan wrote:
Hi
.the only problem which is keeping me from starting climbing is that my dad doesnt likes the idea of me going climbing.he thinks that the sport is very dangerous and wont alow me to do it. i think that i might be able to convince him to let me try climbing if i have a few very good arguments pro climbing.do you know any good points or arguments which might convince him ?

I think that at 17 your parents still have an influence on you of interdiction for some sport. If he wait after 18, you most climb harder and more dangerous think. If he go climbing with you, he will see you if you are careless or not. I thought that it is the first argument. I will sugest you to take a guide with yor father to climb a multipich route of 2 or 3 pitches. The insurance of you guide is very important.

Most important, when you go at school, you have test and after a note with it. It is just some years after that you understand that 65% is not enought for a grant. In climbing, you do a move and if you make a mistake...you fall. In trad, onsighting a route, that mentality is stronger. In sport, the bolt is there, but it is still hard to push over the bolt.

JoeHamilton

Aug 22, 2011, 3:33 PM
Post #6 of 28 (8155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

My thought that cant escape my mind, is simple, how is climbing more dangerous the sky diveing.

j0nathan

Aug 22, 2011, 4:09 PM
Post #7 of 28 (8134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i live in spain :)
here you can do the aff ( acelerated free fall ) course when you are 16 ( if you have the permisson of your parents and a medical certficate )

j0nathan

Aug 22, 2011, 4:22 PM
Post #8 of 28 (8129 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Find the website for your most local climbing gym and show him pics of little kids climbing at birthday parties.

the funny thing is that i myself had a birthday party in an indoor climbing centre when i was little.i even did a summer holiday course in indoor climbing. i think the reason is that he thinks that it is very risky to trust your live on nothing more than just a rope, but its not much different than in skydiving.

adelphos

Aug 22, 2011, 5:03 PM
Post #9 of 28 (8099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ask him to take a climbing course with you at a local climbing gym, or ask to take a climbing course at a local gym with a friend. Parents are much more likely to support educated risk taking as opposed to just going and doing it.

blueeyedclimber

Aug 22, 2011, 5:45 PM
Post #10 of 28 (8079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j0nathan wrote:
Hi
i am 17 years old (turned 17 2 months ago ) and i am a skydiver. recently i met another skydiver at the dropzone and we started talking about other cool sports. he told me that he was doing climbing and that it is an awesome sport and that i should check it out. i started reading articles about climbing at looking at videos and i realy like it.i live in an area which is quite good for climbing.the only problem which is keeping me from starting climbing is that my dad doesnt likes the idea of me going climbing.he thinks that the sport is very dangerous and wont alow me to do it. i think that i might be able to convince him to let me try climbing if i have a few very good arguments pro climbing.do you know any good points or arguments which might convince him ? i could just wait untill i am 18 and do it then without his permission but i would rather have him on my side and not go against his decission.

Just tell him what's REALLY dangerous is living a life of boredom, inactivity, and unhappiness. Also say that if you do not climb, that could lead you into a downward spiral of crime, nonproductivity, and illness related to a sedentary lifestyle.

BTW, how is sky diving safer than climbing?

Josh

bearbreeder

Aug 22, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #11 of 28 (8076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

start talking about all the cool drugs you can take and how bored you are cause you cant climb ... and ya just wanna go out and party every night and get sloshed

theyll let you climb very quickly
Wink

Mariofercol

Aug 22, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #12 of 28 (8069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hola J

Yo lo invitaria a que fuera contigo a escalar en un gimnasio. Los gimnasios en general se preocupan mucho por la seguridad porque asi atraen mas clientes. Si asustas a un cleinte nuevo, seguro que no va a volver. De pronto el no tendria que escalar pero el puede ver que es bastante seguro y te dejaria intentarlo.

Mariofercol

Aug 22, 2011, 6:02 PM
Post #13 of 28 (8066 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j0nathan wrote:
j_ung wrote:
Find the website for your most local climbing gym and show him pics of little kids climbing at birthday parties.

the funny thing is that i myself had a birthday party in an indoor climbing centre when i was little.i even did a summer holiday course in indoor climbing. i think the reason is that he thinks that it is very risky to trust your live on nothing more than just a rope, but its not much different than in skydiving.

Cuelga tu auto desde una cuerda de escalar, toma una foto y muestrasela a tu padre. Tongue

TarHeelEMT

Aug 22, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #14 of 28 (8046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They'll let you skydive, but not climb?

There's something wrong with the real vs perceived risk here...

TarHeelEMT

Aug 22, 2011, 7:01 PM
Post #15 of 28 (8046 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They'll let you skydive, but not climb?

There's something wrong with the real vs perceived risk here...

j0nathan

Aug 23, 2011, 5:00 AM
Post #16 of 28 (7980 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i managed to convince my dad to let me climb !!!!
i had a long discussion about the risks of climbing and in the end we made a deal...i will train in an climbing gym untill i turn 18, then i can start to climb outside :)
i am looking forward to start this awesome sport !

thx a lot for all of your posts, you helped me a lot

ENARE

Aug 23, 2011, 6:37 PM
Post #17 of 28 (7920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j0nathan wrote:
i live in spain :)
here you can do the aff ( acelerated free fall ) course when you are 16 ( if you have the permisson of your parents and a medical certficate )

And Spain has some perfect climbing spots. I was just there in November, where do you live in Spain?

j0nathan

Aug 24, 2011, 4:34 AM
Post #18 of 28 (7846 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ENARE wrote:
And Spain has some perfect climbing spots. I was just there in November, where do you live in Spain?

i live on the canary islands :)

ceebo

Aug 24, 2011, 3:15 PM
Post #19 of 28 (7810 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Has your father seen cliff hanger by any chance?. If that, as a father was my perception of climbing.. i would lock you up too.

Partner macherry

Aug 24, 2011, 3:20 PM
Post #20 of 28 (7805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j0nathan wrote:
i managed to convince my dad to let me climb !!!!
i had a long discussion about the risks of climbing and in the end we made a deal...i will train in an climbing gym untill i turn 18, then i can start to climb outside :)
i am looking forward to start this awesome sport !

thx a lot for all of your posts, you helped me a lot

good for you. have fun

hugepedro

Aug 24, 2011, 5:41 PM
Post #21 of 28 (7769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
Has your father seen cliff hanger by any chance?. If that, as a father was my perception of climbing.. i would lock you up too.

No doubt. Better to show him Vertical Limit.

styndall

Aug 24, 2011, 6:11 PM
Post #22 of 28 (7753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j0nathan wrote:
Hi

Sit your dad down, then show him Cliffhanger and Requiem for a Dream back to back.

Tell him it's climbing or drugs.

Rock-Monkey

Aug 27, 2011, 9:22 PM
Post #23 of 28 (7656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [styndall] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a father myself... if my son came to me and said he wanted to try something that might not be safe, i would hope that he would show me first hand what it was: As in... bring your father with you! Go scope out the local gym, talk to the guys at the front counter and tell them your situation, ask if they can help talk to your dad once you can get him there with you it might impress him enough not only to let you do it but he might like doing it also!

That is how i got my dad (way back in the day) into mountain biking. I got on his level and had a professional show us the ropes, this really brought down the stress and ignorance of the sport and we have done it ever since, going on 14 years now.

Good luck! I am sure you will find out a way.

jorgegonzalez

Aug 28, 2011, 1:52 AM
Post #24 of 28 (7620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mariofercol] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Estoy de acuerdo con Mario. Pidele permiso de tomar una clase en un gimnasio, donde el va ver toda la preocupacion con la seguridad. Dile que yo soy padre, tengo mas de 50anos de edad, y una de las placeres de mi vida ha sido de llevar mis propios hijos e espoza a escalar. Mis hijos tienen 6 y 10 anos de edad, y les encanta escalar, especialmente a mi hija, la mas chiquita, que me parece ser mas atrevida que mi hijo.

Como yo les estoy ensenando, no tengo ninguna preocupacion o miedo que algo grave se les va pasar.

climbingtrash

Sep 9, 2011, 1:26 PM
Post #25 of 28 (7289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] convincing parents :S [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Find the website for your most local climbing gym and show him pics of little kids climbing at birthday parties. Tell him you don't have to just jump into it. Youu can take lessons and go about this in a smart manner that makes it no more dangerous than skydiving.

Yes, and tell them you'll always use a PTFTW when applicable.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook