Premier Sponsor:

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #1 of 20 (5890 views)
Shortcut

Helpfulpimp - for the authors
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a variation of the the humblebrag, that I dub the helpfulpimp. It is a post that is ostensibly helpful, but owes its existence to the urge to pimp a product. You’ve been warned.

So my wife, besides being a full time mom and jewelry maker is an author. Now for those of you who are in the biz or want to be, you know the economics of it aren’t exactly fabulous. For a while she did the “term papers for money” route of livestrong et. al. But now we have found the better way. She has self published on Amazon.com for kindle. Her book is here: http://www.amazon.com/...13939207&sr=1-13

Amazon.com’s self publishing is so stinking easy. If you have a book already written you should get it on Amazon immediately. You open an account (they need a bank account to ETF the funds to) and you upload your document. That is it. Done. Simple. Couldn’t be easier. Amazon accepts MS Word and about 5 other formats. You will need a jpeg or other image for the cover. But it really is not much more complicated than saving a document. If you have a book, do it now. Don’t wait. As the author you can get 70% of the e-book sales. No overhead, no print runs, just upload it, pimp it, and make money.

Oh, and my wife’s book is a great book especially if you have kids that have just started school. The title “Healthy Lunch, Healthy Mind” pretty much explains the book, so I won’t go into it here. However, if you follow the link, you can read the first chapter for free.

So once you get your book(like my wife’s book) out there, you will need to advertise and market it somehow. As for that, I don’t know, I'm not good at that kind of thing.

edit: fix'd links

(This post was edited by Toast_in_the_Machine on Aug 23, 2011, 11:20 PM)

imnotclever

Aug 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #2 of 20 (5881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
This is a variation of the the humblebrag, that I dub the helpfulpimp. It is a post that is ostensibly helpful, but owes its existence to the urge to pimp a product. You’ve been warned.

So my wife, besides being a full time mom and jewelry maker is an author. Now for those of you who are in the biz or want to be, you know the economics of it aren’t exactly fabulous. For a while she did the “term papers for money” route of livestrong et. al. But now we have found the better way. She has self published on Amazon.com for kindle. Her book is here: http://www.amazon.com/...13939207&sr=1-13

Amazon.com’s self publishing is so stinking easy. If you have a book already written you should get it on Amazon immediately. You open an account (they need a bank account to ETF the funds to) and you upload your document. That is it. Done. Simple. Couldn’t be easier. Amazon accepts MS Word and about 5 other formats. You will need a jpeg or other image for the cover. But it really is not much more complicated than saving a document. If you have a book, do it now. Don’t wait. As the author you can get 70% of the e-book sales. No overhead, no print runs, just upload it, pimp it, and make money.

Oh, and my wife’s book is a great book especially if you have kids that have just started school. The title “Healthy Lunch, Healthy Mind” pretty much explains the book, so I won’t go into it here. However, if you follow the link, you can read the first chapter for free.

So once you get your book(like my wife’s book) out there, you will need to advertise and market it somehow. As for that, I don’t know, I'm not good at that kind of thing.

your 3rd and 4th link are broken.

traddad

Aug 23, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #3 of 20 (5873 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Someone married you?

petsfed

Aug 24, 2011, 1:42 AM
Post #4 of 20 (5839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And there's no intellectual property issues with this? She's not selling control of the content to Amazon?

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 24, 2011, 1:50 AM
Post #5 of 20 (5836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
And there's no intellectual property issues with this? She's not selling control of the content to Amazon?

Nope - she still owns all of the rights. The only release of rights was to be able to have the first chapter for free.

We could pull the book tomorrow and sell it as a movie if we so desired. (I'm not sure how good a movie it would make, but for the right price...)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 24, 2011, 1:58 AM
Post #6 of 20 (5834 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.

hugepedro

Aug 25, 2011, 4:48 PM
Post #7 of 20 (5805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.
[image]http://annrbsummers.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/me1.jpg[/image]

She could do better.

Thanks for the info. My GF is writing a book. Had no idea it was this easy to publish.

Gmburns2000

Aug 25, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #8 of 20 (5796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very interesting. thanks for the heads up.

chadnsc

Aug 25, 2011, 10:02 PM
Post #9 of 20 (5786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:

Someone married you?

Not only that it was a woman, and she had relations him and bore him children.

traddad

Aug 26, 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #10 of 20 (5782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
traddad wrote:

Someone married you?

JesusFuckingChrist....Thank you. Now I need brain bleach.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 26, 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #11 of 20 (5762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.
[image]http://annrbsummers.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/me1.jpg[/image]

She could do better.

Thanks for the info. My GF is writing a book. Had no idea it was this easy to publish.

The tougher part is how to get it noticed. I'll update with "how to use google ad words to boost your book sale" as my next helpfulpimp. Once I get it to work, of course.

notapplicable

Aug 26, 2011, 1:58 PM
Post #12 of 20 (5745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
traddad wrote:

Someone married you?

Your choice of comma placements makes that sentence difficult to read.

It would seem you skipped the editor and went straight to the self puplishing step.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 27, 2011, 3:24 PM
Post #13 of 20 (5722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
chadnsc wrote:
traddad wrote:

Someone married you?

JesusFuckingChrist....Thank you. Now I need brain bleach.
It is far, far worse than that. Not only does she put up with me as a person she has to deal with things like this...

Our vacations are usually centered around visiting relatives with me always bringing the climbing gear to get at least one climb in. Our trip to Tucson Arizona to visit my parents included such a situation. (The photo of Ann above is from Sabino Canyon.) After wagging the two climbing backpacks (one is harnesses / shoes the other is rope / helmets) through the airport and paying the extra baggage fees (ouch) and stopping at Rocks and Ropes to buy “Squeezing the Lemon II” we headed out to the “Prison Camp” area. (Thanks JT for the PDF, it helped too.) The parking for this area is, of course on “Prison Camp Road” which is great news, except the name on the road sign can’t be read as you pass by it and the area is now named something else. So, as you can guess it, we drove up and down Mt. Lemmon a few times before finding what I thought was the right place. So we load up the backpacks and lunch and a few extras to keep the kids occupied and head out on the trail for the 15 minute hike to the crag. An hour later we reach a crag but we can’t get down past a waterfall and it stinks. So we turn around and hike back.

If you are keeping score at home (and trust me, score is being kept). That is a two hour hike starting from “Prison Camp” in the desert with heavy backpacks and no climbing. And, yes, it was my fault. We took a wrong turn on the hike.

someone out there is lost

up another hill

a smile!

Our next trip was to Arkansas in the spring, where after one good sunny day, it was cold and rainy the rest of the time there. I spent the time staring out the window of my in-laws like a trapped puppy wanting to go out and play. Ann and I did get a quick boulder session in one morning at Hobo Beach. Did I mention that Ann doesn’t like to boulder? Another trip with no climbing.

So, my parents decided that or their 50th wedding anniversary all of the kids would come together and stay for a week at Wintergreen Resort in Virginia. Now Virginia is convenient for my sister (New York City) and my brother (Cincinnati) but not for us (Omaha). After checking out flights, the “best” option was to drive to Cincy (12 hours) stay with my bro and then onto Wintergreen (8 hours).

I, of course, pack the climbing gear.

With some help (thanks Jay) I’ve picked out a place with a(nother) 15 minute hike. The Sandstonia-Tattoo wall. Now, I choose not stop on the first way past thinking that as the trip back would be a good time for the climb. I choose not to climb by Wintergreen for two reasons: One is I’ve promised my son he can do his first outdoor lead (local gym rules are that you can’t lead until you are twelve – yeah like I follow that rule.) And, two, the nearest climb to Wintergreen had a fatality in the spring.

So after a week with my family, we head out and follow the GPS directions (which want us to go right thru downtown Bently – where we have to stop and turn around because there is a parade). We finally cross over the bridge and get to the right parking spot where there are some other climbers getting out. Now, the pressure is on. At first, the kids don’t want to go until I remind my son about his opportunity for his first lead. They remind me of the two hour hike. So off we head.

We took a wrong turn again (we turned at the third power line and not the fourth. Ann uses the phrase “I’m not moving a single step” until I ensure her that the next change in direction is the correct one. I read the e-mail from Jay out loud and point out our mistake so off we head. As we go down the gully (we are now beyond our 15 minute hike time), my wife reminds me that she tweaked her ankle just prior to our trip and the going down the rocky gully is hurting her.

As we go down, we are passed by a very nice couple who tell us they have been looking and hiking for over an hour and haven’t found the wall yet. I assure them we are on the right path (I’m really not sure we are). We follow the cairns and get to the wall. I setup the gear and Colin starts off. He gets to the second bolt and freezes. Oh well. I lower him and I take over and climb and setup a top rope anchor. Clare, who before being tied in was climbing up every boulder, stops climbing once she is tied in.

clare pose

colin pose

hmmmm biscuits

Ann climbs up and gets to the crux and can’t solve it (her ankle is now killing her and she is dreading the hike back up). I lower her badly and she bangs her shin.

We hear thunder.

In order to get out quicker, I ask the nice couple if they wouldn’t mind cleaning my anchor. They have been struggling on harder climbs and I think they would enjoy the easy climb while I could help Ann pack up. And Ann could take off with the kids and go slowly and still beat the rain.

Of course the woman in the couple couldn’t nail the crux (as Ann was leaving she saw that and it made her feel at least a little better). The guy easily sent it and after a while I get packed up. The thunder is really loud and the sun is now hidden. I hot foot it up the dry wash and as I get to the top of the hill, but before we have the part of the hike under the power lines, the heavens open up and the downpour is on. I catch up to the kids as they start the climb up to the third power line tower. Clare has hiked on ahead and a loud lightning bolt cracks overhead. She freaks out. Ann is barely able to walk. The path is turning into mud. I put Clare on my shoulders and carry her. Colin complains, until he finds a box turtle on the path. Ann doesn’t say anything but limps along.

We make it safely back to the car. The rains stops. The kids don’t have any clean clothes handy. We head out to the gas station where I get ice for Ann’s ankle and treats for the kids. We also stop and get chicken and biscuits.

The remainder of the trip (16 hour drive) is basically me promising to take Ann out for a nice meal. Ann realizes that I considered that a fun side adventure.

I still, two weeks later, haven’t come clean on the nice meal. I did, on the other hand, help her get her book on Amazon.com

Have you checked it out? It is here: http://www.amazon.com/...13939207&sr=1-13

qwert

Aug 28, 2011, 8:40 AM
Post #14 of 20 (5705 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Whole lot of text and pics

And that right there tells you that you should stick to gym climbing, or learn quite a bit more about general outdoor and navigation skills!

qwert

Partner j_ung

Aug 28, 2011, 1:47 PM
Post #15 of 20 (5697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your wife's hot. Cool

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 30, 2011, 2:58 PM
Post #16 of 20 (5659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.

She could do better.

The tougher part is how to get it noticed. I'll update with "how to use google ad words to boost your book sale" as my next helpfulpimp. Once I get it to work, of course.

So with Healthy Lunch, Healthy Mind I wanted to see if Google ad words would help boost sales. The short answer I'd that the ROI isn't worth it.

The cost per click for the phrase "Healthy Lunch" is about $1.40 a click and the profit for an e-sales is $5.60. This means that one out of every for people need to buy the book who click on the add just to break even. While you can get a free $75 trial run, you are basically purchasing fifty some clicks, which is OK for free, but not so really worth it.

This leads it's back to search engine optimization to get the book noticed as well as testing out Amazon's in house printing arms.

More updates to come...

(and y'all have checked out the book - right?)

carabiner96

Aug 30, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #17 of 20 (5654 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.

She could do better.

So with Healthy Lunch, Healthy Mind I wanted to see if Google ad words would help boost sales. The short answer I'd that the ROI isn't worth it.

The cost per click for the phrase "Healthy Lunch" is about $1.40 a click and the profit for an e-sales is $5.60. This means that one out of every for people need to buy the book who click on the add just to break even. While you can get a free $75 trial run, you are basically purchasing fifty some clicks, which is OK for free, but not so really worth it.

This leads it's back to search engine optimization to get the book noticed as well as testing out Amazon's in house printing arms.

More updates to come...

I see what's going on here.

hugepedro

Aug 30, 2011, 3:34 PM
Post #18 of 20 (5653 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.

She could do better.

More updates to come...

No, we were checking out your wife.

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 30, 2011, 3:40 PM
Post #19 of 20 (5648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.

She could do better.

More updates to come...

No, we were checking out your wife.

Well then you should have put her image back in the post.

Edit; her not here

(This post was edited by Toast_in_the_Machine on Aug 30, 2011, 3:59 PM)

Toast_in_the_Machine

Aug 30, 2011, 3:50 PM
Post #20 of 20 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Helpfulpimp - for the authors [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
traddad wrote:
Someone married you?

Yupper.

She could do better.

More updates to come...

I see what's going on here.

What it's interesting is that google does search RC.com frequently, but that out doesn't count in it's web masters statistics, so that really this is mostly post whoring and will do nothing to bump book sales.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook