Premier Sponsor:

squierbypetzl

Aug 30, 2011, 7:04 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1681 views)
Shortcut

Damn potatoes, damn them to hell
Report this Post
Can't Post

In accordance with my "eat everything on your plate" upbringing, I ate a slightly burnt, very slightly odd tasting baked potatoe at a restaurant today. I started feeling off key mentally and physically about an hour or two later but I couldn't put my finger on what exactly was wrong. Fast forward to around supper time when a sudden wave of nausea came over me. At 2am in the morning, the stomach cramps and vomiting have finally died down, and I'm hoping I'll finally get some sleep.

So kids, the moral of the story is, if something tastes wrong to you, don't eat it. Screw what other people think.

ps: I had to stop writing twice to avoid messing up my laptop.

chadnsc

Aug 30, 2011, 1:35 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Damn potatoes, damn them to hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang man, contact the CDC and your local health department!

I hope you feel better soon!

traddad

Aug 30, 2011, 2:08 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] Damn potatoes, damn them to hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That must have been some potent potato to have that affect that quickly. The epidemiological rule-of-thumb for gastroenteritis is 24-48 hours from consumption to onset.

Sure it wasn't a drinkable potato derivative?

jt512

Aug 31, 2011, 5:59 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Damn potatoes, damn them to hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:

Contracting a mild foodborne illness from a restaurant doesn't warrant a call to the CDC, but it definitely warrants a call to the county health department. They need this information to control and prevent outbreaks. The policy at the health department I used to work for was two reports from unrelated parties for the same restaurant in a week triggered an immediate (investigators on site within a couple of hours) full-scale investigation.

The only downside to reporting such an event is that the health department might ask you to shit in a cup. You can always say no, but those sweet public health nurses have decades of experience coaxing shit samples out of food-poisoning victims.

Jay

chadnsc

Aug 31, 2011, 2:04 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Damn potatoes, damn them to hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
chadnsc wrote:

Contracting a mild foodborne illness from a restaurant doesn't warrant a call to the CDC, but it definitely warrants a call to the county health department. They need this information to control and prevent outbreaks. The policy at the health department I used to work for was two reports from unrelated parties for the same restaurant in a week triggered an immediate (investigators on site within a couple of hours) full-scale investigation.

The only downside to reporting such an event is that the health department might ask you to shit in a cup. You can always say no, but those sweet public health nurses have decades of experience coaxing shit samples out of food-poisoning victims.

Jay

I know, I have personal experience with this subject. The CDC comment was in jest.

squierbypetzl

Sep 1, 2011, 6:32 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Damn potatoes, damn them to hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Still sick, but not hating life anymore. Thanks for the wellwishes, Chad.

jt512 wrote:

I can confirm this. They wouldn't give me many details but apparently another costumer at this "upscale" joint got food poisoning on Friday. Someone mentioned botulism yesterday as I was barfing into a bag at the clinic, and scared the, bejeezus, out of me, but seeing as I seem to be recovering that's probably not it.

I now completely understand mysophobes. It's going to be a long time before I eat another goddamn baked potatoe.

(This post was edited by squierbypetzl on Sep 1, 2011, 7:03 PM)

gunkiemike

Sep 1, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Damn potatoes, damn them to hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
That must have been some potent potato to have that affect that quickly. The epidemiological rule-of-thumb for gastroenteritis is 24-48 hours from consumption to onset.

Sure it wasn't a drinkable potato derivative?

Oh yea? I've read - and experienced, unfortunately - that it can be much quicker. Like 1-4 hours after eating.

(This post was edited by gunkiemike on Sep 1, 2011, 6:04 PM)

traddad

Sep 1, 2011, 5:57 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1544 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Damn potatoes, damn them to hell [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Depends on the amount and type of toxin the "bugs" are churning out.
Actually, for E. coli it's 24 to 72 hours....but then you know...YMMV.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook