RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

thenine

Aug 31, 2011, 5:47 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3354 views)
Shortcut

Curious pain in the arms
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My wife has recently just started climbing and is experiencing pain in her arms after she does a route. Originally I thought this was simply "the pump" or that she was using her arms too much but the symptoms are a bit curious to me.

She describes the pain as "a sharp stabbing like pain, that runs the entire length of both arms and extends from her elbow all the way down into her fingers". When I try to isolate where the pain occurs (Ie trying to figure out if its in a particular tendon, muscle, etc) she says the pain is "in the entire arm". Meaning having me touch her anywhere in the arm, finger or elbow causes the stabbing pain.

The overall stabbing pain lasts for up to 10-15 minutes after she climbs. After that she has a general pain / soreness when she grips things.

Clearly she has stopped climbing at this point and we will likely be going to the doctor to get things checked out. However before doing that I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with similar symptoms.

onceahardman

Aug 31, 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #2 of 6 (3321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thenine] Curious pain in the arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This might seem like a longshot, but read the "chronic compartment syndrome" section of this:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/420999_5

Probably minor, if she doesn't overdo it.

damienclimber

Aug 31, 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thenine wrote:
My wife has recently just started climbing and is experiencing pain in her arms after she does a route. Originally I thought this was simply "the pump" or that she was using her arms too much but the symptoms are a bit curious to me.

She describes the pain as "a sharp stabbing like pain, that runs the entire length of both arms and extends from her elbow all the way down into her fingers". When I try to isolate where the pain occurs (Ie trying to figure out if its in a particular tendon, muscle, etc) she says the pain is "in the entire arm". Meaning having me touch her anywhere in the arm, finger or elbow causes the stabbing pain.

The overall stabbing pain lasts for up to 10-15 minutes after she climbs. After that she has a general pain / soreness when she grips things.

Clearly she has stopped climbing at this point and we will likely be going to the doctor to get things checked out. However before doing that I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with similar symptoms.

Maybe she just doesn't want to climb!
Next it will be headaches. No More.............

jacques

Sep 1, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thenine wrote:

Carpal tunnel have those symptomes when the canal is too narrow genetically. The pain happen when the tendon is solicitated. they make a pressure on the nerve and the pain can be feel in all the arms, but mostly on the thumb and the other three finger after. There is also an other canal in the elbow for the two last finger. After, you are a little bit weaker, as the contact is not done corectly.

The nexxt step will be pain at night in the thumb and finger. The operation take 5 hours and you are able to use your hand one months after. The test is more painfull than the operation

damienclimber

Sep 1, 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #5 of 6 (3295 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jacques] Curious pain in the arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jacques wrote:
thenine wrote:

Carpal tunnel have those symptomes when the canal is too narrow genetically. The pain happen when the tendon is solicitated. they make a pressure on the nerve and the pain can be feel in all the arms, but mostly on the thumb and the other three finger after. There is also an other canal in the elbow for the two last finger. After, you are a little bit weaker, as the contact is not done corectly.

The nexxt step will be pain at night in the thumb and finger. The operation take 5 hours and you are able to use your hand one months after. The test is more painfull than the operation

eh very nice response. can you please translate it into french. ( maybe some french speakers have comments)
Are you in med school?

jacques

Sep 1, 2011, 1:25 AM
Post #6 of 6 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Curious pain in the arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
eh very nice response. can you please translate it into french. ( maybe some french speakers have comments)
Are you in med school?
My english is bad, but I do my best. I had the problem with the carpal tunel. I am biologist.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook