RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

vstargame

Sep 7, 2011, 4:21 PM
Post #1 of 10 (14590 views)
Shortcut

Weighted Vest
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have been climbing for a little over a year now and was wondering is using a Weighted Vest while climbing and doing hangboard worth it? Does it help with training? I'm 6'2 and weigh 185 pounds, i climb at my local gym 3-4 times a week, i just boulder. I train pretty hard and have wondered about trying out a weighted vest on routes i can already do, traversing, or hang board sessions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Smile

hafilax

Sep 7, 2011, 4:53 PM
Post #2 of 10 (14574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vstargame] Weighted Vest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The conventional wisdom is that weighted training doesn't really help much unless you are climbing at a pretty high level. I would guess that after a year of climbing you have a ways to go unless you are some kind of prodigy.

What kind of training are you currently doing? For most people in their first few years of climbing, the best training for climbing is climbing. Have you read The Self Coached Climber or Training for Climbing?

sungam

Sep 7, 2011, 4:58 PM
Post #3 of 10 (14569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the first few years you really want to play your cards close as far as injury is concerned. An injury at this point really could crush your soul and make you lose a huge amount of gains with time out.

While weighted training can be used, and can give great gains, it does increase your chance of injury. I would give your tendons a few years to get used to the heavy load hard climbing puts on them before you step it up a level.

It really does take a very long time for tendons to strengthen. Better to have the slightly slower but steadier gains from injury free training then to screw something up and have to tiptoe around it for the next few years.

ceebo

Sep 7, 2011, 5:13 PM
Post #4 of 10 (14555 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

vstargame wrote:
I have been climbing for a little over a year now and was wondering is using a Weighted Vest while climbing and doing hangboard worth it? Does it help with training? I'm 6'2 and weigh 185 pounds, i climb at my local gym 3-4 times a week, i just boulder. I train pretty hard and have wondered about trying out a weighted vest on routes i can already do, traversing, or hang board sessions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Smile

I have tried it with a back pack and some weights in. It really messes with your cog and i can't see it doing any good for technique.

On the other hand, a vest will hug your body allot more and not hinder cog as much i would imagine. But.. still, i think you should have a real good base of technique so you can better judge when the added weight is forcing you into body posistions you normaly would not use. The main enemy of this would be sagging out due to overloading the core.

I don't think the risk of leanring poor core osition is worth it just for some finger gains. You would be better off completely eliminating technique gain/loss from the equasion and doing dead hangs.. if you are intent on some form of weighted training.

saint_john

Sep 7, 2011, 7:29 PM
Post #5 of 10 (14512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Weighted Vest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

isn't your COG in your hips/waist area? therefore, wouldn't a weighted vest throw off your COG?
unless the OP is boudering like V10 already I think improving technique is the way to go at this point.

ceebo

Sep 7, 2011, 7:51 PM
Post #6 of 10 (14504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Weighted Vest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

saint_john wrote:
isn't your COG in your hips/waist area? therefore, wouldn't a weighted vest throw off your COG?
unless the OP is boudering like V10 already I think improving technique is the way to go at this point.

The bag messed with my cog. The vest.. i don't think would be a huge issue apart from stressing core muscles more, and upper ofc.

Why would you set v10 as the bench mark to stop training technique?. It is likely you will find millions of climbers around v6 onward where technique will be a positive strength compared to physical condition and problem solving.

flesh

Sep 7, 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #7 of 10 (14492 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

vstargame wrote:

I wouldn't recommend a vest at this point. You are already wearing one, at 185 lbs you have at least 10 -15 lbs to lose. The best thing you could do right now to improve quickly and without adding potential for injury is to cut weight. Don't take it as an insult, I just lost 22 lbs so I'm eatin what im cookin.

Other than that, technique, scc, mileage, rest if anything hurts, you'll climb hard, just time. Try not to crimp much as well ;)

saint_john

Sep 7, 2011, 8:10 PM
Post #8 of 10 (14486 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Weighted Vest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
saint_john wrote:

The bag messed with my cog. The vest.. i don't think would be a huge issue apart from stressing core muscles more, and upper ofc.

Why would you set v10 as the bench mark to stop training technique?. It is likely you will find millions of climbers around v6 onward where technique will be a positive strength compared to physical condition and problem solving.

millions?

vstargame

Sep 14, 2011, 5:07 PM
Post #9 of 10 (14272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saint_john] Weighted Vest [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ty everyone for your advice

Elfer

Oct 9, 2011, 4:28 PM
Post #10 of 10 (13951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a weighted vest at the gym sometimes (pretty light, 10-15 pounds), and you can use it to train strength on steep overhanging problems or on hangboards, but I think it can also be a valuable tool for training technique on routes that aren't steep.

If a problem or route is mainly based on balance and technique rather than strength, the weight vest will amplify any mistakes you make in technique, and you may have to find a clever way to work past a move you might have been able to power through before. For example, there was a dihedral route that I cruised through on my flash attempt, but when I tried it again with a vest, it required a lot more precision.

Doubt it would improve your technique on steep overhangs though, because of the COG issues mentioned above.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook