Forums: Community: The Ladies' Room:
Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

gblauer

Sep 9, 2011, 8:53 AM
Post #1 of 51 (5749 views)
Shortcut

Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Check this out:

http://kensclimbingblog.blogspot.com/

lena_chita

Sep 9, 2011, 9:40 AM
Post #2 of 51 (5740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

The short answer is NO. On the second thought, make it HECK NO.

The long answer is:

--I'd rather go for a hike. That climb looks like a hike anyway, but on an actual hike I wouldn't have to bother with ropes and would have more flexibility to stop and take care of the children's needs in a timely fashion. What if the little girl pooped her diaper on pitch one? Is it really that great for her to sit in her feces until the parents finish climbing?
Different people-- different priorities? Apparently it is not a big deal to them. The baby was having a bad time on the entire hike, and then "she was crying for the first 2 and a half pitches until she finally fell asleep." oh well, no big deal... I don't know about you, but I know that *I* cannot climb worth a damn if my child is crying. Just not worth it for me, takes all enjoyment out of the process.

-- WTF are the parents thinking-- they are both wearing helmets to protect their heads, but the babies apparently don't need this protection? (very ironic, when the blog includes a photo of a sign saying "don't throw rocks, climbers below")

--WTF is the guy thinking when he is leading a climb with a toddler in a backpack? (sans helmet for the kid, of course) I really liked this quote: "At this point we rigged up a harness for Danny so that he would be safe (i.e. not rip the backpack he was being carried in and plummet to his death if I were to take a lead fall) and connected him to me then put him in his carrier."

Partner macherry

Sep 9, 2011, 9:59 AM
Post #3 of 51 (5732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no!!!

i see this happen at ski hill where i work. parents downhill skiing with kids on their back. parents have helmets, kids don't. its a nightmare for the lift workers.

it's like these parents have a tick list for things to do with their kids.

Partner happiegrrrl

Sep 9, 2011, 1:08 PM
Post #4 of 51 (5719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh dear!

No children, myself, but just the thought of what could happen would be too much for me. I suppose those people must climb hard enough that this route is a walk in the park(at least I would hope). I'll leave the caustic remarks for others to make though.

Kartessa

Sep 9, 2011, 2:23 PM
Post #5 of 51 (5709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

Oh hellz no!

Little dude isn't gettin a free ride from me. If he wants to go up 5 pitches, he's gonna climb 5 pitches, with his own damn helmet on.

I'm all for involving kids in your activities, but be reasonable.

jeepnphreak

Sep 10, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #6 of 51 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No!

I m all about boys and skinned knees and elbows. But a 5 pitch climb for that young of a child is way to risky to put my kiddo into.
In a few years when they are old enough to make to climb them selves than yes take a kid on some fun easy multi pitch. But until they can/will wear a helmet... oh wait be in a situation when a fall by the parent is not going to kill you kid. find a baby sitter for the day or go for a hike.

damienclimber

Sep 10, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #7 of 51 (5656 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gblauer wrote:
Check this out:

http://kensclimbingblog.blogspot.com/

they should have bought dolls at the toy store instead.
prolly realized kids put a damper in their devil may care lifestyle.

kiwiprincess

Sep 10, 2011, 8:46 PM
Post #8 of 51 (5646 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing wrong with it except they didn't protect them with Helmets(which is really negligent)

guangzhou

Sep 10, 2011, 8:57 PM
Post #9 of 51 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree, I see nothing wrong here. Like above, if the parents are wearing helmets, so should the kids. At the very least, a hat to protect from the sun.

wonderwoman

Sep 12, 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #10 of 51 (5575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Put a helmet on those babies!

iknowfear

Sep 12, 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #11 of 51 (5560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Put a helmet on those babies!

its all fun and games until the baby ends as a red smear on the wall...

Helmet: definitely (actually one with a HANS system - Kiddies Head is far bigger in relation to body weight. => Snapped neck)

Regarding the kids harness: I really would not like to see what would happen to the kid in case of a leader fall.

For me, this is akin to forcing your baby to free solo. there is little margin for error for the kid, while the parent will be (pysically) fine in case of a leader fall.

edited to add: could someone with a blogger account post a link in the comments section to this thread? I'd like to hear there side of the story...

(This post was edited by iknowfear on Sep 12, 2011, 11:25 AM)

clee03m

Sep 12, 2011, 12:05 PM
Post #12 of 51 (5550 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, that is not safe. First, like everyone agrees, there is the no helmet thing. But even if the kids were wearing helmets, this is not safe. Babies and toddlers do not have very mature necks and are prone to neck injuries. This is why the current recommendation is to keep a child in a rear facing carseat for at least 2 years and as long a possible. If either of the climbers fell, they may jerk the baby which may result in a neck injury. If the leader were to fall and hit his back, the child would get hurt from the impact. And if they got into a rescue situation (which can happen to the most experienced climbers climbing easy climbs), I don't know how they would handle with 1 adult, 2 babies, and 1 injured climber. I had a picture of the leader falling, flipping upside down, and hitting the little boy's head and squeeshing the boy. *shudder*

Baby wailing for 2 1/2 pitches...that would be hell for me. I would feel horrible. And how would you be able to tell why she was crying? Like Lena mentioned, you can't exactly change diapers or feed them in the middle of a climb. Or console her for that matter. And the older boy was afraid of heights? Seriously? Seems incredibly selfish to me.

I sympathize with their desire to climb long multipitch climbs. I am there! But this is not the answer. I am surprised that some people are OK with this....

I met a girl who took her son up on a backpack up a multipich climb. I won't climb with her. Just don't trust her judgement. As a human being and as a climber...

gblauer

Sep 12, 2011, 12:53 PM
Post #13 of 51 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Amen sister.

I doubt the babies backpacks are rated for climbing. I wonder how the manufacturer would feel about seeing those photos.

"Wow"...that's all I could say when I read that blog.

Here's a scary thought: What would have happened if they HAD to take the baby out of the carrier for whatever reason...she wouldn't be tied into anything.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Sep 12, 2011, 1:33 PM)

tolman_paul

Sep 12, 2011, 1:58 PM
Post #14 of 51 (5527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm all for being active in the outdoors with your kids, but that strikes me somewhere between dumbazz and criminally negligent. Lets see, the kids are buckled into car seats for the drive to the climb, but no helmets and not tied in on the climb. Hmm, what's wrong here?

I have taken my "babies" up a 4 pitch climb, but they were old enough to climb it themselves, and were belayed.

klopik

Sep 17, 2011, 2:36 PM
Post #15 of 51 (5431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Heck no.
And we bring our toddler climbing with us, we just make sure there is a enough space for him to run around at far enough from the wall, and an extra person to watch him (so if we are climbing, it requires 3 people, if we are bouldering, just the two of us are fine).

I think this is really irresponsible - given that the kids are not wearing helmets and are not protected in any way. And things do happen even on the easiest of climbs. Hiking sounds like such a better option...

notapplicable

Sep 20, 2011, 9:19 AM
Post #16 of 51 (5373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [klopik] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't have, or even like kids and that seems criminal to me. I know that 5.6 slab is gravy but they are typically runout and the odds of flipping over backward during a fall is very high.

Those two should be ashamed of themselves.

(This post was edited by notapplicable on Sep 20, 2011, 9:20 AM)

smallclimber

Sep 20, 2011, 2:09 PM
Post #17 of 51 (5343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This seems so crazy to me that I almost wondered if they made it up? They could have taken the summit shots by hiking up. The picture of Mum on the second pitch looks very real, but could it have been set up or photoshopped? I really really can't believe that anyone would do this and then write about. The line about "We had to harness our son into his backpack so he wouldn't fall out if I flipped" is so bad its almost comical. They look like such normal people, did they just write this for a joke and somehow set up the photos?

Someone mentioned skiing with baby in backpack. In europe, especially Austria with very traditional ski resorts you do see babies in backpacks with Dad's skiing quite often which always scares me a lot and doesn't really seem much fun for either baby or parent. I am surprised to hear anywhere in the States/Canada would let someone on a lift like that, I have never seen it anywhere over here. Which is good.

damienclimber

Sep 20, 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #18 of 51 (5314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I don't have, or even like kids and that seems criminal to me. I know that 5.6 slab is gravy but they are typically runout and the odds of flipping over backward during a fall is very high.

daddy is on weekend warrior report , spraying about his solo w the kids!
maybe mom and dad have a big life ins. policy on them (though its used to be only 5,000 per child, just for that reason) Insurance companies know it all!

chadnsc

Sep 21, 2011, 9:13 AM
Post #19 of 51 (5289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

daddy is on weekend warrior report , spraying about his solo w the kids!
maybe mom and dad have a big life ins. policy on them (though its used to be only 5,000 per child, just for that reason) Insurance companies know it all!

Begone doppelganger of ye olde Enigma!

Partner cracklover

Sep 21, 2011, 2:55 PM
Post #20 of 51 (5269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy crap!

GO

wonderwoman

Sep 23, 2011, 1:18 PM
Post #23 of 51 (4891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wanderlustmd] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a highly moderated forum, and therefore, some really inappropriate posts have been hidden. I know you folks can make a good point without crossing the line.

Partner macherry

Sep 23, 2011, 6:16 PM
Post #24 of 51 (4838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
This is a highly moderated forum, and therefore, some really inappropriate posts have been hidden. I know you folks can make a good point without crossing the line.

i really didn't think wanderlustmd's post crossed the line. his comments were directed at the idiotic parents schlepping their kids up a climb. he put it better then i ever could.

jakedatc

Sep 23, 2011, 6:34 PM
Post #25 of 51 (4827 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Moms/Dads...would you take two babies up a 5 pitch climb? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:

i really didn't think wanderlustmd's post crossed the line. his comments were directed at the idiotic parents schlepping their kids up a climb. he put it better then i ever could.

+1 jumpin the gun with the edit machine there WW

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook