RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

TheNags

Sep 19, 2011, 1:31 AM
Post #1 of 18 (8719 views)
Shortcut

It Happened... Finally
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I finally did my first trad climb (sahara terror, tahquitz) and I am now officially addicted. I don't know if I can go back to clipping bolts, after the feeling of freedom that comes with trad. The worst thing now is that I need to build a rack (I only have nuts, plus a double BD #7 someone left in a crack). This is gonna hurt my wallet lol. if anyone is ever climbing in socal and needs someone to second, or climb trad with, PLEASE CALL ME!!! on a side note, trad climbing is like crack, I may need an intervention...

rtwilli4

Sep 19, 2011, 2:14 AM
Post #2 of 18 (8684 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TheNags] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats on your first climb on gear! It is very addicting for sure.

I can sell you some cams for descent prices if you're interested. All are in good to great shape and are very common sizes.

Ryan.Tyler.Williams@gmail.com

(This post was edited by rtwilli4 on Sep 19, 2011, 2:16 AM)

potreroed

Sep 19, 2011, 2:25 AM
Post #3 of 18 (8671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (5 ratings)  
Can't Post

Funny--after many years as a trad climber I very much appreciate the freedom that clipping bolts gives you: freedom from carrying all that dang gear, placing all that dang gear, removing all that dang gear, re-racking all that dang gear, building anchors etc, etc

TheNags

Sep 19, 2011, 2:28 AM
Post #4 of 18 (8670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I never thought of that, and I guess a bit of it is shiny ball syndrome. however, that being said, there is something, I can't quite put my finger on it, that is so amazing about these multi-pitch climbs that appeal to me. so much more than the shorter sport climbs. we will have to wait and see if the shine wears off.

bearbreeder

Sep 19, 2011, 3:36 AM
Post #5 of 18 (8626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wait till you do 10+ pitch multipitch trad ...

thats like heroin compared to the ganja you did

TheNags

Sep 19, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #6 of 18 (8611 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bearbreeder] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh dear... it gets worse... I think I'm in love...

rtwilli4

Sep 19, 2011, 6:05 AM
Post #7 of 18 (8576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
Funny--after many years as a trad climber I very much appreciate the freedom that clipping bolts gives you: freedom from carrying all that dang gear, placing all that dang gear, removing all that dang gear, re-racking all that dang gear, building anchors etc, etc

That's the key though... you've climbed a ton, you've done a lot, you've gotten some of it out of your system! Until you've been up on a big trad climb you always wonder what it's like. Maybe after a lifetime of it you start to appreciate the simplicity of bolted routes but anyone that truly loves the mountains will be drawn to the big traditional lines our continent offers, just as you were Wink

guangzhou

Sep 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
Post #8 of 18 (8512 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Sport or trad, it's all fun to me. I have to admit, they is a strange feeling when you're standing at the base of a 10 pitch routed with only 15 to 20 Quickdraws.

rtwilli4

Sep 19, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #9 of 18 (8422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Sport or trad, it's all fun to me. I have to admit, they is a strange feeling when you're standing at the base of a 10 pitch routed with only 15 to 20 Quickdraws.

Oh don't get me wrong I love and appreciate all types of climbing. I try to live where I want to live based on a lot of things not just climbing, and then I get psyched on whatever kind of climbing is around. Right now that means trad climbing, but in the past and probably in the future that means sport climbing.

I do go out of my way to trad climb when I'm on road trips though... but that will likely change in the future as well. I go through phases. Right now I like crack climbing and multi-pitch routes. Next year I'll probably end up bouldering and sport climbing a lot!

LOVE IT ALL!

ceebo

Sep 19, 2011, 4:26 PM
Post #10 of 18 (8387 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

That's the key though... you've climbed a ton, you've done a lot, you've gotten some of it out of your system! Until you've been up on a big trad climb you always wonder what it's like. Maybe after a lifetime of it you start to appreciate the simplicity of bolted routes but anyone that truly loves the mountains will be drawn to the big traditional lines our continent offers, just as you were Wink

But he is right ;p. If every crag i went to was bolted (and none are).. why would i waste my time placing gear?.. it takes out the fun of just climbing.

It slows your sends down by at least half. I climb to climb ;p not make anchors.

OP, not trying to bring you down, glad you enjoyed it. Have fun.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Sep 19, 2011, 4:29 PM)

jt512

Sep 19, 2011, 9:04 PM
Post #11 of 18 (8286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

But he is right ;p. If every crag i went to was bolted (and none are).. why would i waste my time placing gear?.. it takes out the fun of just climbing.

It slows your sends down by at least half. I climb to climb ;p not make anchors.

I never thought it would happen, but I agree with Ceebo.

Jay

Kartessa

Sep 19, 2011, 9:14 PM
Post #12 of 18 (8278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay

Say it isnt so Jay! Say it isn't so!

ceebo

Sep 19, 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8234 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay

This is some kind of wave length alignment, only to take place every 30.000 years or so.

Or has jay been on weed too?. Have you?.

redonkulus

Sep 19, 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8225 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay

This is some kind of wave length alignment, only to take place every 30.000 years or so.

Shouldn't you be calling him an asslicker or something?

ceebo

Sep 19, 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8221 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redonkulus] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redonkulus wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay

You clearly need a hug. Get over it.

redonkulus

Sep 19, 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #16 of 18 (8213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
redonkulus wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay

You clearly need a hug. Get over it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never turn down a hug Wink

hugepedro

Sep 20, 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #17 of 18 (8197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Yeah, it's like how one gains a greater appreciation for strippers after being married quite a few years.

jt512

Sep 20, 2011, 1:37 AM
Post #18 of 18 (8147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Kartessa] It Happened... Finally [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kartessa wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
rtwilli4 wrote:
potreroed wrote:

Jay

Say it isnt so Jay! Say it isn't so!

What can I say? He said trad sucks.

Jay

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook