Premier Sponsor:

notapplicable

Sep 20, 2011, 8:49 AM
Post #1 of 15 (999 views)
Shortcut

A good year for the queer.
Report this Post
Can't Post

DADT is officially gone and New York has legalized gay marriage. Not only are things finally moving in the right direction but it would seem the pace is accelerating.

*nods to Obama*

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 20, 2011, 9:24 AM
Post #2 of 15 (988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] A good year for the queer. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
DADT is officially gone and New York has legalized gay marriage. Not only are things finally moving in the right direction but it would seem the pace is accelerating.

*nods to Obama*
I know you didn;t mean it that way, but the title is a bit, well, ya know...

As far as things moving in the right direction, I wish it was in the state I just moved to, North Carolina... Long story short, the state legislature is looking to ammend the state constitution in order to define marriage as between a man and women, and give it the citizens of the state to vote on...

I wrote this "letter to the editor" of several newspapers:
In reply to:
Civil rights up to a vote?
I am dismayed that our state legislature believes that a minority group’s civil rights should be decided by a vote. I am talking about gay marriage, and more importantly, the rights afforded to that group. Imagine for a moment how the votes would have turned out regarding the rights for women or blacks if their “civil rights” had been determined by a majority vote during those eras. Sure, we can look back now and see that it was fair and just to afford them the rights we all have today, but back then it was not as clear… There are still many today who secretly may not agree with the Civil Rights Act, but they will not voice it publically, because they know it is wrong, and that they would be labeled for what they are – bigots. See, one purpose of government is to protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority, and this is just such a case. Worse, review history, and you will see that those opposed to the rights of women and blacks back then even used religion to rationalize and justify their prejudices, just as most are today regarding this issue, but it was bigotry then just as it is today. Some states even fought federal civil rights laws by adopting segregation (I.e., “equal but separate”), but that too was wrong, wasn’t it? No, one’s civil rights should not be left up to a majority vote, or even a state, as people view things through their personal prisms of right and wrong, prejudices, and politics. One’s Constitutional Rights should be determined through the objective lens of Constitutional Law at the federal level, just as it was in order to afford women and blacks the rights they enjoy today.

Adam Bingel
Smithville Woods, NC

notapplicable

Sep 20, 2011, 9:37 AM
Post #3 of 15 (981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] A good year for the queer. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel ya man. VA is way behind the curve on this issue too. I found a site with a good breakdown of where each state stands - http://www.stateline.org/...&contentId=15576

VIRGINIA
•Current law: DOMA adopted as state law
•Legislation: Both chambers of the Legislature have approved a bill reaffirming that Virginia has no constitutional or legal obligation to recognize marriages, civil unions or domestic partnership contracts between same-sex couples (HB 751). Gov. Mark Warner (D) has not indicated whether he will sign the bill, but it passed by a veto-proof majority. Resolutions urging Congress to pass a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage passed both houses of the Legislature (HJR 187, SJR 91).

Fucking embarrassing. *shakes head*

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 20, 2011, 10:09 AM
Post #4 of 15 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
I feel ya man. VA is way behind the curve on this issue too. I found a site with a good breakdown of where each state stands - http://www.stateline.org/...&contentId=15576

VIRGINIA
•Current law: DOMA adopted as state law
•Legislation: Both chambers of the Legislature have approved a bill reaffirming that Virginia has no constitutional or legal obligation to recognize marriages, civil unions or domestic partnership contracts between same-sex couples (HB 751). Gov. Mark Warner (D) has not indicated whether he will sign the bill, but it passed by a veto-proof majority. Resolutions urging Congress to pass a federal constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage passed both houses of the Legislature (HJR 187, SJR 91).

Fucking embarrassing. *shakes head*

One thing, among many, they don't consider...

Big companies have codes of ethics that promote diversity, and looks to hire talent based on, well, "talent"... What company is going to want to go to a state that promotes or practices legalized bigotry? Just another reason why the SouthEast is has such a high ratio of bigoted dumb-fvcks, where much of the "talent" comes from outside the SouthEast.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 20, 2011, 10:11 AM)

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 20, 2011, 10:19 AM
Post #5 of 15 (964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for the link... After reading that...
United Bigoted States of America?

And there is a rich irony in that Republicans want less government, but at the same time, more government intrusion into the personal lives of it's citizens. WTF?!?

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 20, 2011, 10:49 AM)

areyoumydude

Sep 20, 2011, 1:01 PM
Post #6 of 15 (938 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] A good year for the queer. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So now we'll finally know the answer to...

"How much semen would a seaman see if a seaman could see men?"

dr_feelgood

Sep 20, 2011, 3:30 PM
Post #7 of 15 (920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sweet. Now queer folk can proudly go die in the name of US imperialism. [slow clap]

pinktricam

Sep 20, 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #8 of 15 (883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
Not only are things finally moving in the right direction but it would seem the pace is accelerating.

The old saying "going to Hell in a handbasket" comes to mind.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 21, 2011, 6:21 AM
Post #9 of 15 (862 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] A good year for the queer. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
notapplicable wrote:
Not only are things finally moving in the right direction but it would seem the pace is accelerating.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/...ions/?&hpt=hp_c2

In other words, congregations that have their heads in a handbasket, relying on 'old sayings' [and beliefs] are declining, whereas:
In reply to:
In the measured decade, churches, temples and synagogues told surveyors that congregations that were innovative and contemporary showed the highest amount of "high spiritual vitality."

Seek high spiritual vitality, Eric... Don't limit your spirit... Let it out of your handbasket.

robbovius

Sep 21, 2011, 10:15 AM
Post #10 of 15 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Oh please, you and your bronze-age mythology.

there is no hell, there is no heaven. there is only this brief burst of life, and then the unknowing oblivion of non-existence.

traddad

Sep 21, 2011, 10:26 AM
Post #11 of 15 (834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
notapplicable wrote:

Pinky...your straight jacket is showing.

Religion:
Treat it like your genitalia. Don't show it off in public and don't shove it down your children's (and the public-in-general's) throats.

hugepedro

Sep 22, 2011, 9:07 AM
Post #12 of 15 (796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] A good year for the queer. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, that induced a spit-take!

spikeddem

Sep 22, 2011, 9:11 AM
Post #13 of 15 (793 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far the law goes? Sure. But cases like Jamey Rodemeyer's are still too frequent.

notapplicable

Sep 22, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #14 of 15 (762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spikeddem] A good year for the queer. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spikeddem wrote:
As far the law goes? Sure. But cases like Jamey Rodemeyer's are still too frequent.

Well, there are always going to be cruel and smallminded people in the world but they might not be so willing to act on it publicly if our governments would stop passing discriminatory legislation, thereby making it seem acceptable.

Those who pass and defend laws/policies like DOMA & DADT have blood on their hands in my opinion.

hugepedro

Sep 22, 2011, 7:41 PM
Post #15 of 15 (743 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

notapplicable wrote:
spikeddem wrote:

Well, there are always going to be cruel and smallminded people in the world but they might not be so willing to act on it publicly if our governments would stop passing discriminatory legislation, thereby making it seem acceptable.

Those who pass and defend laws/policies like DOMA & DADT have blood on their hands in my opinion.

Trophy

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook