Premier Sponsor:

Allfred

Sep 20, 2011, 5:04 AM
Post #1 of 22 (1340 views)
Shortcut

Statehood at the UN
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know enough about the Israel Palestine crap. Never really cared too much, but sort of always wondered why we (USA) cares that much about it.

Seems like Israel is the bad actor here. They don't abide (duude) by the UN resolution on their boarders.

discuss?

skiclimb

Sep 20, 2011, 7:22 AM
Post #2 of 22 (1321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Allfred] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Both parties are bad actors. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Hard to have peace when the people with the power don't want peace.

Not that complicated really.

Simply put with the current leaders on both sides there will be no peace and the powerless will suffer for it.

As far as statehood? How can the UN admit a new nation who's government (Hamas) has as one of it's main planks the eradication of it's neighbor state?

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Sep 20, 2011, 7:25 AM)

hugepedro

Sep 20, 2011, 7:49 AM
Post #3 of 22 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skiclimb] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
As far as statehood? How can the UN admit a new nation who's government (Hamas) has as one of it's main planks the eradication of it's neighbor state?

Make the removal of that plank a condition of statehood. It's not a serious threat anyway, just a political tool for the extremists.

I agree with you that the leadership on both sides are bad actors, they use conflict and violence to preserve their power, but Israel holds the most cards, they could change the situation if they wan't to, whereas the Palestinians could not.

Probably not a chance that the UN will grant unilateral statehood, but if they did it would remove the source of radicalization for Palestinians and begin the journey toward normal, civilized politics. It's too bad the pro-Israel-at-all-costs voters hold our country hostage to extremism. In my book, those people are traitors.

Allfred

Sep 20, 2011, 8:24 AM
Post #4 of 22 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hugepedro] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hugepedro wrote:
. It's too bad the pro-Israel-at-all-costs voters hold our country hostage to extremism. In my book, those people are traitors.

That's one of the parts I don't understand. Are they that way because they are jews? Are they that way because they are crazy christians? Why is Isreal such an important domestic topic? Seems to me like something only a few east coast states care about.

ubu

Sep 20, 2011, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 22 (1265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Allfred wrote:
hugepedro wrote:
. It's too bad the pro-Israel-at-all-costs voters hold our country hostage to extremism. In my book, those people are traitors.

That's one of the parts I don't understand. Are they that way because they are jews? Are they that way because they are crazy christians? Why is Isreal such an important domestic topic? Seems to me like something only a few east coast states care about.

Here's your answer:

Perry’s Theocratic Foreign Policy: ‘As A Christian I Have A Clear Directive To Support Israel’

skiclimb

Sep 20, 2011, 5:46 PM
Post #6 of 22 (1255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
Allfred wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Here's your answer:

Perry’s Theocratic Foreign Policy: ‘As A Christian I Have A Clear Directive To Support Israel’

Yep thats about it, you can't underestimate the seriousness here and how much it really does form our policy in this Area.

Now I am a christian. As far as i can read the scriptures it simply states that ALL nations will war against Israel at the end of times (somewhere within that poorly defined event period anyway)

If I ever see all nations at war with Israel this will merely let me know that the scripture is correct.

Another example of poor attention to scripture is clear in mainstream christian conservative thinking.

Short of war I don't see anything in scripture saying you can't be critical or hold Israel to account for their actions.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Sep 20, 2011, 5:49 PM)

petsfed

Sep 20, 2011, 9:55 PM
Post #7 of 22 (1235 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
Allfred wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Here's your answer:

Specifically, the sooner we see the conversion of Israel to Christianity, the sooner the apocalypse can occur. And I really fuckin' wish I could make this kind of crazy shit up.

Couple that with a strong lingering guilt over the holocaust but only so strong as to prevent another Jewish genocide (if you're not white AND Jewish, most of the western world has more important tasks that go by various euphemisms for "jack off until an abrasion sore develops"), and you've got a lot of irrationally pro-Israeli types calling the foreign policy shots.

damienclimber

Sep 21, 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #8 of 22 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
ubu wrote:
Allfred wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Here's your answer:

Yep thats about it, you can't underestimate the seriousness here and how much it really does form our policy in this Area.

Now I am a christian. As far as i can read the scriptures it simply states that ALL nations will war against Israel at the end of times (somewhere within that poorly defined event period anyway)

If I ever see all nations at war with Israel this will merely let me know that the scripture is correct.

Another example of poor attention to scripture is clear in mainstream christian conservative thinking.

Short of war I don't see anything in scripture saying you can't be critical or hold Israel to account for their actions.

well you should read alot more.
Who are the chosen people?
who won the war?
who are the terrorists? who was there first?
reading is a good diversion over the internet, and instead of skiing and climbing.
I suppose you believe in heaven, hell and jesus is the messiah, son of god, and adam and eve too?
there is so much info , and I'm not going to spoon feed someone history that actually is written in books.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

blondgecko

Sep 21, 2011, 3:10 AM
Post #9 of 22 (1215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:

No it won't. It will merely let you know that all nations are at war with Israel (and that Israel is therefore about to become a smoking hole in the ground).

skiclimb

Sep 21, 2011, 7:30 AM
Post #10 of 22 (1202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

No it won't. It will merely let you know that all nations are at war with Israel (and that Israel is therefore about to become a smoking hole in the ground).

lol fair point. But technically I'd still have to say that particular scripture would then be correct.

The part where I think it says Israel wins would be incorrect in your scenario

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Sep 21, 2011, 7:54 AM)

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 21, 2011, 7:41 AM
Post #11 of 22 (1197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skiclimb wrote:
ubu wrote:
Allfred wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Here's your answer:

There's a bit more to it... Many RNJ's believe that Israel must be a nation, with all the land God gave them intact, in order for Jesus to return... Thus, giving any land away will mean Jesus won't come back, IAW their beliefs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 21, 2011, 7:42 AM)

skiclimb

Sep 21, 2011, 7:45 AM
Post #12 of 22 (1194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
skiclimb wrote:
ubu wrote:
Allfred wrote:
hugepedro wrote:

Here's your answer:

well you should read alot more.
Who are the chosen people?
who won the war?
who are the terrorists? who was there first?
reading is a good diversion over the internet, and instead of skiing and climbing.
I suppose you believe in heaven, hell and jesus is the messiah, son of god, and adam and eve too?
there is so much info , and I'm not going to spoon feed someone history that actually is written in books.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

oi.. Yes I choose to believe a few things are easily argued against rationally. You are not pointing out anything I'm not familiar with. :)

And Adam is spot on pointing out another reason for our over support of everything Isreal does. It's at best a childish immature form of Christianity.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Sep 21, 2011, 7:48 AM)

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 21, 2011, 9:12 AM
Post #13 of 22 (1173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, unfortunately, those "childish immature form of Christianity" types have a lot of influence... To the detriment of our national policy, education, medicine, sciene funding, social issues, and the list goes on...

See above for the current front runner of the GOP for his theocratic ideas... And remember that Texas is leading the pack backwards in our education, all because of those who adhere to that "childish immature form of Christianity".

That "childish immature form of Christianity" is most likely our biggest obstacle to enlightenment as a nation... And as a race, if you consider all those [religions] who try to get all to live by the rules they believe their imaginary friend wants them to live by. It IS a ball and chain that impedes our progress.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 21, 2011, 10:38 AM)

dan2see

Sep 22, 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #14 of 22 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two major issues of concern:

1. Statehood for Palestine.
2. Peace with Israel.

You should not confuse these issues.

A lot of folks require "conditions" such as settled boundaries, and policies on international relations. But these conditions do not change how Palestine can govern its people or infrastructure.

The first priority for a Palestine government, nation or not, is the ability to make its decisions on matters that affect them, and the power to carry out their policies. That is autonomy and self-government. And this should be recognized by Israel, too. But with the shrinking boundaries and hostile borders, it's been hell.

So now, finally, after all these years, it's time to recognize Palestine as a state and allow them to move into the present.

Then you can work on those "conditions". Who knows? They might be good neighbours, if everybody lets them.

potreroed

Sep 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #15 of 22 (1061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Nah, Israel knows how to defend itself. They are miles ahead of their enemies in defense and are not afraid to be pro-active if it becomes necessary.

veganclimber

Sep 24, 2011, 1:41 PM
Post #16 of 22 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

Nah, Israel knows how to defend itself. They are miles ahead of their enemies in defense and are not afraid to be pro-active if it becomes necessary.

They could defend themselves if every nation in the world attacked them?

I_do

Sep 25, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #17 of 22 (1029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

They are also not afraid to be "proactive"when it's not nessecary...

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 25, 2011, 11:48 AM
Post #18 of 22 (1015 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
potreroed wrote:
blondgecko wrote:
skiclimb wrote:

They could defend themselves if every nation in the world attacked them?

Hell yea... They have God on their side... Remember what he did to Egypt, back in the day? He will smite their enemies. Heck, he even made the sun stand still for a day so his chosen people could "defend themselves" (I.e., slaughter their enemies)... Suspending the laws of motion and gravity!!!

They CANNOT lose, if God doesn't want them to.

pinktricam

Sep 25, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #19 of 22 (1007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 26, 2011, 4:11 AM
Post #20 of 22 (988 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pinktricam] Statehood at the UN [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pinktricam wrote:
Good point.

robbovius

Sep 26, 2011, 4:17 AM
Post #21 of 22 (985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Good point.

[image]http://dudelol.com/img/joke-went-over-your-head.gif[/image]

Oh c'mon, you KNEW he was going to take that last sentence seriously. ;-)

pinktricam

Sep 26, 2011, 5:41 AM
Post #22 of 22 (976 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
pinktricam wrote:
Good point.

*chuckle*

Backatcha.