Premier Sponsor:

Partner cracklover

Sep 21, 2011, 2:11 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1033 views)
Shortcut

Your spouse too senile? Chuck 'em!
Report this Post
Can't Post

Pat Roberton (the original televangelist) says it's cool to divorce your wife if she has alzheimers, because she may as well be dead anyway:

http://abcnews.go.com/...kes-divorce-14526874

GO

scrapedape

Sep 22, 2011, 6:59 AM
Post #2 of 9 (992 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Your spouse too senile? Chuck 'em! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I don't think we really needed any further evidence that Pat Robertson has all the moral fortitude of day-old dog shit, but there you go.

Speaking of which, do you know the difference between Pat Robertson's face and dog shit? I'd be sorry if I stepped on the dog shit.

scrapedape

Sep 22, 2011, 7:05 AM
Post #3 of 9 (990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Separate post for the substantive part of my reply:

A good friend of mine's mother had early-onset Alzheimer's, like when she was in her 40s. Her husband looked after her the whole time, and when she needed more care than he could provide, he put her in full-time care. But he still went to visit her daily, even when she was so far gone that she didn't know him from Adam. That is the "until death do us part," part.

I'll concede one thing to Robertson here: it is a kind of death.

But it is not the same thing as death.

So the husband in my story, being human, had a need for reciprocal love in his life. After his wife was way gone, he did meet another woman, and began a relationship with her. He did not divorce his wife, however, and continued to visit her and ensure that she got the best care.

Is that amoral? I don't think so, and their kids certainly didn't think so. If Pat Robertson thinks so, he can butt the hell out and STFU.

traddad

Sep 22, 2011, 7:31 AM
Post #4 of 9 (979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Your spouse too senile? Chuck 'em! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
If Pat Robertson thinks so, he can butt the hell out and STFU.

Butting the hell out is NOT the Christianist way. The Christianism practiced by the Fundies is about fear, power and control, not about faith and belief. Why else would they try to force people to act in the way they think correct rather than letting their beliefs stand on their own merit? Prayer in schools, abortion, gay marriage, blue laws...you name it.

Of course....Christianists believe in the New Testement until it becomes inconvenient. Then it becomes OK to divorce a spouse with Alzheimers or cancer. It becomes OK to execute rather than have compassion and forgiveness. It becomes OK to murder doctors that provide abortions. It becomes OK to deny someone lifesaving healthcare in the name of lower taxes. It becomes OK to coddle the rich and try to get the camel through the eye of a needle.

I love these screen shots TBogg posted:

As one of the comentors posted:

Shorter Jesus: Im so tired of hearing asshole sociopaths call my name while ignoring what I taught.

Partner cracklover

Sep 22, 2011, 8:54 AM
Post #5 of 9 (971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Your spouse too senile? Chuck 'em! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
Separate post for the substantive part of my reply:

A good friend of mine's mother had early-onset Alzheimer's, like when she was in her 40s. Her husband looked after her the whole time, and when she needed more care than he could provide, he put her in full-time care. But he still went to visit her daily, even when she was so far gone that she didn't know him from Adam. That is the "until death do us part," part.

I'll concede one thing to Robertson here: it is a kind of death.

But it is not the same thing as death.

So the husband in my story, being human, had a need for reciprocal love in his life. After his wife was way gone, he did meet another woman, and began a relationship with her. He did not divorce his wife, however, and continued to visit her and ensure that she got the best care.

Is that amoral? I don't think so, and their kids certainly didn't think so. If Pat Robertson thinks so, he can butt the hell out and STFU.

Ooh ^^^ Moral relativism! That means yer all goin' to HELL.

... Or not.

GO

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 22, 2011, 9:36 AM
Post #6 of 9 (959 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Pat Roberton (the original televangelist) says it's cool to divorce your wife if she has alzheimers, because she may as well be dead anyway:

GO

Maybe he'll push to "ammend" marriage vows to remove the "...in sickness and health..." part, along with ammending the whole gay marriage thing.

Yea... He's a moral giant. Crazy

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 22, 2011, 9:37 AM)

chadnsc

Sep 22, 2011, 9:39 AM
Post #7 of 9 (955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah but what it your spouse is just plane stupid? Can you then divorce them safely in the eyes or lord and savor? Wink

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 22, 2011, 9:54 AM
Post #8 of 9 (949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chadnsc] Your spouse too senile? Chuck 'em! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chadnsc wrote:
Yeah but what it your spouse is just plane stupid? Can you then divorce them safely in the eyes or lord and savor? Wink

Actually, now that I think about it... Pat is showing signs of alzheimers himself... Time his flock divorces him.

hugepedro

Sep 22, 2011, 1:25 PM
Post #9 of 9 (919 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

GO

Marriage is special, and as such should remain an institution soley between a man and a woman, not a man and an alzheimers patient. What's wrong with you? Next thing you know you're going to want to allow man - cancer patient marriages. Sicko.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook