RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

rocker1525

Sep 24, 2011, 6:21 AM
Post #1 of 18 (8628 views)
Shortcut

Anchor question
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Is it possible to hammer down a 2 metal steaks into the ground s couple feet and anchor off of that? If so how deep is safe? Should it be put at an angle facing away from the climb? How thick or what kind of metal is best?
I only ask this question because there is no other way to make an anchor at this face, unless I bolt it and I am no where near ready to do that. Thank you and any information is appreciated.

knubs

Sep 24, 2011, 7:41 AM
Post #2 of 18 (8606 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocker1525] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

first off, what is the anchor for? belay anchor? climbing anchor? rope solo anchor? etc..

rocker1525

Sep 24, 2011, 8:27 AM
Post #3 of 18 (8599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knubs] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This would be for top rope

sbaclimber

Sep 24, 2011, 9:00 AM
Post #4 of 18 (8594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rocker1525 wrote:
Is it possible to hammer down a 2 metal steaks into the ground s couple feet and anchor off of that?
yes
rocker1525 wrote:
If so how deep is safe?
That depends... "Safe" is a very relative term when dealing with stakes anyway.Pirate

rocker1525 wrote:
Should it be put at an angle facing away from the climb?
no

rocker1525 wrote:
How thick or what kind of metal is best?
The thickest and strongest you can afford. Tongue

binrat

Sep 24, 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #5 of 18 (8570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Look towards the bottom. replace wood stakes with your metal ones.
http://www.tpub.com/celec/78.htm

ablanchard17

Sep 24, 2011, 9:19 PM
Post #6 of 18 (8464 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally I would never do this.

I can see the possibility of cyclical loading shifting the stakes and pulling them out. it would be much better to use a tree if there are any around.

uni_jim

Sep 24, 2011, 11:20 PM
Post #7 of 18 (8444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it has been done, but it's not going to inspire a ton of confidence in me.

TarHeelEMT

Sep 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #8 of 18 (8436 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It is done, although not often by climbers in this country. I did it earlier this weekend for a rescue setup.

Be aware that there is most definitely a right way to do it, and lots of ways that are really dangerous. The best place to read about it might actually be a fire and rescue manual. The best would be to have someone who uses them regularly demonstrate the setup with you.

binrat

Sep 25, 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #9 of 18 (8429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uni_jim] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uni_jim wrote:
it has been done, but it's not going to inspire a ton of confidence in me.
+1

binrat

Sep 25, 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #10 of 18 (8426 views)
Shortcut

Re: [TarHeelEMT] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

TarHeelEMT wrote:
Be aware that there is most definitely a right way to do it, and lots of ways that are really dangerous. The best place to read about it might actually be a fire and rescue manual. The best would be to have someone who uses them regularly demonstrate the setup with you.
Maybe a combat engineer's rigging manual as well.

acorneau

Sep 25, 2011, 2:24 AM
Post #11 of 18 (8405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is some very good information and actual test examples for stakes on this website:

http://www.bolt-products.com/Glue-inBoltDesign.htm

Go down to the section called "Stakes", which is about 9 screen-pages down.

JimTitt

Sep 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #12 of 18 (8371 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

Of course itīs o.k. It is standard practice on most of the sea-cliff climbing areas in the U.K. and has worked without any incident for the last 50 years or so.
Using stakes has also been standard procedure for the coastguard cliff rescue teams for generations.

What to use- it depends. Cheap and reasonably longlasting is 1" galvanised water pipe or 1" rebar, better and longer lasting are scaffold pot logs which are reasonably cheap.
If the subsoil is very rocky then buck-rake tines are brilliant, sometimes you can get broken ones from a local farmer. Angle iron is o.k but rusts fairly quickly so has fallen out of favour for sea cliffs.
All of the above are traditionally used singly in the U.K. and go about 2 to 3 feet in.

You need a large sledgehammer!

An alternative if fixed gear is a problem or if the bedrock is not far down preventing stakes being used is earth Abalakov belays. You make these by cutting a U shaped slit in the turf about 3 or 4 inches deep and 2 to 3 feet diameter and lay a length of flexible pipe (normally the black plastic irrigation pipe) in the bottom, refill the slit and leave for a season until the turf has grown back. Then when you need a belay you merely thread with a length of rope which is easily repaceable and there you are.

Jim

billcoe_

Sep 25, 2011, 3:05 PM
Post #13 of 18 (8337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
Of course itīs o.k. It is standard practice on most of the sea-cliff climbing areas in the U.K. and has worked without any incident for the last 50 years or so.
Using stakes has also been standard procedure for the coastguard cliff rescue teams for generations.

What to use- it depends. Cheap and reasonably longlasting is 1" galvanised water pipe or 1" rebar, better and longer lasting are scaffold pot logs which are reasonably cheap.
If the subsoil is very rocky then buck-rake tines are brilliant, sometimes you can get broken ones from a local farmer. Angle iron is o.k but rusts fairly quickly so has fallen out of favour for sea cliffs.
All of the above are traditionally used singly in the U.K. and go about 2 to 3 feet in.

You need a large sledgehammer!

An alternative if fixed gear is a problem or if the bedrock is not far down preventing stakes being used is earth Abalakov belays. You make these by cutting a U shaped slit in the turf about 3 or 4 inches deep and 2 to 3 feet diameter and lay a length of flexible pipe (normally the black plastic irrigation pipe) in the bottom, refill the slit and leave for a season until the turf has grown back. Then when you need a belay you merely thread with a length of rope which is easily repaceable and there you are.

Jim

This is an awesome post, much better than I was thinking of posting which is that they do it in England. However, I would add that if you have never done this, seen it done, and don't have someone with you who has done it: then you are on uncharted ground and need to be damned careful rocker. You don't say what your experience or skill set is, so I'd overkill what you think is strong enough until you really feel you have it mastered.

tolman_paul

Sep 28, 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #14 of 18 (8163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just curious how you could be no where near ready to place bolts as anchors, but somehow you figure you'll have the skills to drive stakes into the ground to accomplish the same thing?

Either you have the skills to analize what needs to be done and the tools to accomplish it, or you don't. Whether bolts or stakes, it matters not.

There is alot of litterature out there on how to place bolts, and place them properly, as well as testing on suitable and unsuitable bolts. I haven't come across anything on how one evaluates soil and the quality of sewer pipe, fence posts et al.

Seriously, learn how to bolt and do it properly, or leave it to others. IMHO it's easier to judge whether or not rock is sound than soil.

billl7

Sep 28, 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #15 of 18 (8157 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never drilled/placed a bolt in my life nor have I learned how. Without any further training at all (by reading or listening) ...

I have tons more confidence that I could tell when a stake is set deep enough with a big sledge hammer than when a bolt is gripping well enough in a short hole by turning a nut.

Bill L

(This post was edited by billl7 on Sep 28, 2011, 11:51 PM)

sandstone

Sep 29, 2011, 1:40 AM
Post #16 of 18 (8124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used stakes several times. They were absolutely bomber -- very confidence inspiring.

I used two stakes each time, spaced ~2ft apart. I didn't notice any movement of the stakes at all after repeated loading. I got the feeling I could have safely lowered my truck off the cliff from this anchor.

I used steel angle (1 1/2" or 2"), about 24-30" long. I don't have a measurement on how far I drove them in, but it was probably at least 20". I used a short handled sledgehammer, which is the minimum you'll need, a carpenters or piton hammer won't cut it.

When you are done, either take the stakes out or drive them down well below the surface and leave them hidden there to rust away. Don't abandon them, leaving them sticking out of the ground.

This is especially important if there is any chance of machine traffic (ATV's, motorcycles, farm machines, logging or drilling machinery, etc.) in the area. My father was almost killed when a fragment of a rotary hay cutter blade hit him. We later figured out that there was once a power pole in the field he was cutting, but the power company had neglected to remove the ground rod when they had removed the pole. The cutter blade hit the ground rod (which was sticking out of the ground a few inches, completely hidden by the tall grass), breaking off about a 1" triangle of hardened steel, which glanced off dad's skull.

acorneau

Oct 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
Post #17 of 18 (7880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JimTitt] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
An alternative if fixed gear is a problem or if the bedrock is not far down preventing stakes being used is earth Abalakov belays.

Hey Jim,

Since you mention an Abalakov as an alternative, has anyone tried out a snow fluke setup in sod/soil?

JimTitt

Oct 4, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #18 of 18 (7804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Anchor question [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We tried lots of things in the early days including these, alloy deadmen canīt take the rocks in the ground nor the big hammer on top and getting a slit for the wire is a problem. Probably great for a cliff with a swamp or sand dunes at the top!
Snow stakes are good but horribly pricey so we went over to alloy tee section instead, boat toe-rail extrusion is perfect and offcuts cheap or free. Two of these is what my brother uses for temporary ab points.

Jim

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook