Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 Next page Last page  View All

oz120

Aug 26, 2011, 3:55 AM
Post #2026 of 2156 (15677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainman] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I see that an it shows me that most of the people on here don't want to help out anyone that is new to the sport most of the time. There are very few people that have replied to any of my posts looking for an instructor back when I first joined the site. To me 281 views with 5 replies is not a very tight nor helpful group. I thought that the point of this forum was to help others it seems most just want to sit back and watch those of us whom are new to climbing try and fail. Hell I don't know maybe your parents didn't pay enough attention to you when you were a kid an that's why you don't want to help anyone else. JMHO. But it seems very selfish to me I understand that people should use the search feature found on the site but at the same time tell them that or even link what they are looking for an explain how to find it next time. Giving people the cold shoulder is like telling us you don't want us the climb and you would much rather keep the rocks to yourselves. Hell the cold shoulder on this forum has made me think about giving up, but I will be damned if i give up just cause some of you think you are above me.

Jordan

mountainman

Aug 26, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #2027 of 2156 (15662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oz120] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I doubt calling people names is going to make people want to climb with you. I told you, you need shoes and a harness to start climbing with any of us. The balls in your court, so to speak.

There's a group going to Coopers Rock Sunday; that might pretty far for you to go...

mountainman

Aug 26, 2011, 10:08 PM
Post #2028 of 2156 (15644 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

However, Jordan you are mostly right. Many if not most of the climbers wouldn't make any effort to help you get out, unless you're a hot young woman. Even that might not be enough. Hahahahaha...

I've thought a lot about this. If you have a partner, or a group that gets out regularly, you have your whole world, and need nothing more. I'm not sure it's from an attitude of superiority, just from inertia...

So Saturday get some shoes and a harness, and we'll see you Sunday, and you can climb to exhaustion.

DougMartin

Aug 27, 2011, 11:28 PM
Post #2029 of 2156 (15632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Oz, I kinda agree with you, this web site tends to be more about telling others what they are doing wrong than anything else. It is however the best site I have found for climbing info. I also have met a few good "dudes" through here in just the last few months.

Now a little about me, this is a western PA climbers forumn and I am from western PA and a climber so it fits with this post as well. I am from Grove City about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh. I climb at McConnels mill frequently. I have been climbing for about 3 years with the first few years strictly inside ( gym adventure course). This year I got outside for the first time and have been bitten very very hard by the bug that is climbing. I now have a trad rack and have been to Seneca twice with every intention of being there twice more or better yet this year! I am 43 year old have a very flexible schedule and can climb about 5.10c . I am always looking for another guy to climb with so if you or any one else is interested ( mountainman) hit me up. The pickins in my area are weak at best when it comes to partners, way to many college kids who one can't find the time or don't have any money to buy food for a weekend away.

oz120

Aug 29, 2011, 11:45 PM
Post #2030 of 2156 (15592 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would love to come out on Sunday but I have not gotten a harness or shoes yet. I doubt I will be able to have them by Sunday seeing how I am from Somerset Pa and there are no places near me to buy one. I and i was just informed today that I was getting 12 hours cut a week from work which would be a great thing if i already had gear but seeing that i need gear I need all the hours I can get. So I don't know how soon i can get the gear together to go. I could stop in ohiopyle on my way home from work and see what I can find for a harness and shoes there but nothing is open at 0630 when i would be there. So I am not sure where to begin my search for a harness this time. The last time I purchased gear it was only line and i was ok with the fit but not quite as ecstatic as I thought I should have been. Any ideas or options would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you,
Jordan

oz120

Aug 29, 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #2031 of 2156 (15589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lol my bad that was last Sunday hahaha well maybe that will give me a chance to find a harness and some shoes so next time I can make it.

DougMartin

Aug 30, 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #2032 of 2156 (15584 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oz120 wrote:
Lol my bad that was last Sunday hahaha well maybe that will give me a chance to find a harness and some shoes so next time I can make it.

You talking to me or Mountianman?

oz120

Aug 30, 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #2033 of 2156 (15576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DougMartin] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

DougMartin wrote:
oz120 wrote:

Mountianman lol he invited me to coppers rock but it was for yesterday. I have to watch climbing on Sundays till next week I will have Saturday Sunday and Monday off from now till when my boss changes it agian. Lol that happens about every two weeks lol. So I will come to work (south of confluence pa) and stop in ohiopyle and see what deals I can get from the shops there on shoes and a harness. Right now money is a little tight but I am working on it honest I am I want back on the rock so bad its not even funny. I am calling every place I can think of that sells climbing gear within 50-100 miles of me.

DougMartin

Aug 30, 2011, 1:42 AM
Post #2034 of 2156 (15569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oz120 wrote:
DougMartin wrote:
oz120 wrote:

Mountianman lol he invited me to coppers rock but it was for yesterday. I have to watch climbing on Sundays till next week I will have Saturday Sunday and Monday off from now till when my boss changes it agian. Lol that happens about every two weeks lol. So I will come to work (south of confluence pa) and stop in ohiopyle and see what deals I can get from the shops there on shoes and a harness. Right now money is a little tight but I am working on it honest I am I want back on the rock so bad its not even funny. I am calling every place I can think of that sells climbing gear within 50-100 miles of me.

Some of us have enough gear that the only thing you really need are shoes. I personally have three harnesses. I will say up front they have been retired from my local gym (I have a little pull and have managed to snag two of them)! They do say retired on them but they are still one hundred percent fine! As far as all the other gear I have enough of everything to get you in the air. I do top rope with static however. Don't want to put the stress on my lead rope and Its so much safer if you happen to be by yourself! Me and another fellow are planning a day of climbing on Wednesday this week. It very well could be here locally (McConnell's Mill State Park) but that is still less than two hours for you! I can keep you informed if you want to try and hook up! We try to start our day about 9 and usually end around 5! That gives us plenty of time for the drive!

DougMartin

Sep 1, 2011, 1:52 AM
Post #2035 of 2156 (15521 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Went to Coopers Rock today! Rocks were awesome, nice and dry! Hit 10 routes! Great time with good Peoples. Joe, Bill, and Ray, you guys rock (pun intended)! If only my fingers would have held out on Titanium Digit! Just didn't have it in me, being the last climb of the day! Need to start there next time!

mountainman

Sep 1, 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #2036 of 2156 (15510 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, a very good day to climb. Glad you lived to post about it.

DougMartin

Sep 15, 2011, 9:23 PM
Post #2037 of 2156 (15343 views)
Shortcut

Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Another great day with western PA Climbers! Hit Locust Grove In Maryland! Fun slab climbs! Hit about 6 of them, some sport, some trad, some top rope! Thunder storm ended the day a little early. Found out that climbing a 5.7 and leading a 5.7 are entirely different animals! Great fun with great people. Bill, Joe, Ray again you guys give "take" a whole new meaning, well Bill does anyway!

cals9

Sep 16, 2011, 6:14 PM
Post #2038 of 2156 (15321 views)
Shortcut

Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone looking for a partner to the New tonight for Sat and Sunday. Lead sport 11s trad somewhat easier. Very experienced, safe climber. Cal
In reply to:

cals9

Sep 19, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #2039 of 2156 (15278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cals9] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Looking for a partner to climb at Roctoberfest at the Red River Gorge October 7th,8th,and 9th maybe a day of two more either before or after. Climbing 5.11 sport or 5.10 trad. Will try most anything. I will gladly drive. From Canonsburg area, though anyone from the greater Pgh area is cool. ALSO Can anyone tell me of any other sites where I can hook up with some people? Thanks!

DougMartin

Sep 19, 2011, 8:29 PM
Post #2040 of 2156 (15276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Where you from?

mountainman

Sep 20, 2011, 1:54 AM
Post #2041 of 2156 (15266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trip Report

September 17-18, 2011

Mr.Sandbag
Send me a climb
That I can do
and still be sublime.

Layne has been my main climbing partner the last few years; he is the only reason I've ever done any of the hard, demanding and lovely climbs at the New River Gorge and Summersville Lake! His marriage this year really put a big hole in my climbing life! Thankfully I did have some great trips with others, but I was very happy when Layne called about a couple days at the New.

I was so excited Saturday night I didn’t sleep until 4 AM, then got up at 5:30 to get ready. I was my turn to drive, and we cruised down listening to my old Motown playlist! Luckily Layne is extremely mellow!

We went straight to Sandstonia at Bubba City, and hiked down in lovely cool weather. The place was mobbed with tons of beginning climbers and all manner of climbers, but we walked past all of them to The Decameron, 5.10b, where we were all alone. It’s an incredibly intimidating start, with massive fins of rock looming over your head, but climbing that part was straight-forward and fun. The crux was crossing a blank face to gain the arete. I fell trying to make that move and swung over to the corner. That put me on the arete, and I finished the climb. The view down the valley to the river was breathtaking.

Next we waited over a half hour for a party which had had top-roped Shady Lady to get off it. The leader had three beginners with him, and they were stunningly slow. Finally they were off and I led it for the first time. It’s 5.7 but we both felt there are some spots that aren’t sevenish!! I was really happy about the lead. Next we tried G String, 5.11a, but Layne fell four times around the fourth bolt, pulling me off the ground every time; finally he bailed, which bummed him out, big time.

We finished the day on Mrs. Field’s Follies, a 5.8 which is a sandbag! It is very sustained and pumpy We were pretty tired by this time, and the walk up and out felt exhausting. I was pretty sleepy, but we went to the store for onion and garlic, set up our tents at Chestnut, cooked up some beef stroganoff with the veggies and Jonathan’s chard, and devoured it all. I took a blessed hot shower, said goodnight to my beloved Anita, read one page and crashed from 8:15 PM to 7:15 AM! That cured all my ills.

After breaking camp, it began to sprinkle. It looked better to the north, so we went to Summersville, and it became an absolutely lovely day; sunny, cool, and dry. He wanted to finish Gun Lust, 5.10c, as the crux is getting from the fourth bolt to the anchors. He made it, but I had to use the rope to finish it so I could clean it, to my eternal shame.

Then we walked over to a new climb at the right end of the Satisfaction Wall, Useless Beauty, 5.10a. It was a blast, salty in the middle, then a cruise at the top. It’s one to do again! Then I led That Eight, 5.7 for the second time. I was scared at the crux sequence, and it’s not a 5.7 move, but finished it clean.

Then we walked, in our sandals, way past Orange Oswald, through two rock tunnels, and after a half hour arrived at Clown School, 5.10a. It has a heinous start, a demanding, huge roof, and slopers at the top. It was fabulous, and I really enjoyed it.

We put n our shoes and blasted out in half the time. We wanted to do Lickity Split, but the hanger on the first bolt was gone! So we went to the Long Wall and did Personal Pronoun, a spectacular 5.9 that would be a 10 anywhere else. Steep, buckets, reachy. A wonderful climb.

We did the climb out, past the lake, up the ladders and over the hills and dales, deeply satisfied We dined at Wendy’s, which was so good I could have wept. I drove back in heavy rain, just listening to old Motown.

Hail Layne, and welcome back...May your beard never wither!!

Sorry, no new pictures of me on lead. Sob....

(This post was edited by mountainman on Sep 20, 2011, 10:56 AM)

mountainman

Sep 20, 2011, 7:36 PM
Post #2042 of 2156 (15238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cal, I'm up for anything.

DougMartin

Sep 21, 2011, 2:25 AM
Post #2043 of 2156 (15229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountainman wrote:
Trip Report

......We did the climb out, past the lake, up the ladders and over the hills and dales, deeply satisfied We dined at Wendy’s, which was so good I could have wept. I drove back in heavy rain, just listening to old Motown.

Hail Layne, and welcome back...May your beard never wither!!

Sorry, no new pictures of me on lead. Sob....

Sounds like a fantastic weekend!

Next time you head down there and want a third to play belay monkey give me a shout, most weekends are good for me with a few days notice. I think I have been climbing lately with some of the guys you have already climb with! Most of them don't have the desire to lead anymore (Ray, if your lurking, your not included), a been there done that kind of thing. Top rope is great fun and I learn a ton from them but I am also looking to get out on the sharp end of the rope more on some easy to moderate routes!! Give me a shout sometime you need a partner!

mountainman

Sep 21, 2011, 10:36 AM
Post #2044 of 2156 (15218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would have like to go to Cumberland but didn't hear about it. Please try to let me know about local climbing days. I need a lot to stay strong!!!

DougMartin

Sep 21, 2011, 8:22 PM
Post #2045 of 2156 (15202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mountainman wrote:
I would have like to go to Cumberland but didn't hear about it. Please try to let me know about local climbing days. I need a lot to stay strong!!!

Spend the afternoon climbing at "The Arena" with Joe S. today! I know not the same as real rock but the weather was iffy, McConnel's Mill was still dank, and my fingers really needed the work.

Our next adventure is planed for Sunday, Snake Hill I think (Joe has made it his plan to get me to all the local areas). Look for an email from Joe, he spoke of making sure to send it to you as well. He usually gets them out tonight or tomorrow at the latest! Pete and Bill will probably be joining us as well.

cals9

Sep 22, 2011, 9:19 PM
Post #2046 of 2156 (15170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From the Houston - Canonsburg area. Right off Rt I-79. Let me know if you are interested. Cal

mountainman

Sep 23, 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #2047 of 2156 (15160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cal, when do you want to go?

Doyle

DougMartin

Sep 23, 2011, 3:23 PM
Post #2048 of 2156 (15130 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone interested in Seneca the weekend of Oct 22. Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Its chili cook-off weekend! So lots of good eats!

mountainman

Sep 24, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #2049 of 2156 (15102 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some toxic chili..fer shur...

cals9

Sep 24, 2011, 5:19 PM
Post #2050 of 2156 (15094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Doylee I sent you a PM explaining what is going on. This would be great to finally hook up and do some routes thogether. Anyway theres this Rocktoberfest on Oct 7,8,9 but maybe we can add a day on like the 6th or the 10th.

First page Previous page 1 ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook