Premier Sponsor:

veganclimber

Sep 27, 2011, 1:20 AM
Post #1 of 17 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Gas line safety bill
Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks like just about everybody on the planet agrees with this, except Rand Paul who is single-handedly holding it up.

http://news.yahoo.com/...ciple-070809432.html

In reply to:
WASHINGTON (AP) A senator who opposes federal regulation on philosophical grounds is single-handedly blocking legislation that would strengthen safety rules for oil and gas pipelines, legislation that even the pipeline industry and companies in his own state support.

Republican Sen. Rand Paul's opposition to the bill hasn't wavered even after a gas pipeline rupture last week shook people awake in three counties in his home state of Kentucky.

All it takes is one asshole in the government to fuck everything up. No wonder this country is so screwed up right now.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 27, 2011, 3:41 AM
Post #2 of 17 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:
It looks like just about everybody on the planet agrees with this, except Rand Paul who is single-handedly holding it up.

In reply to:
WASHINGTON (AP) A senator who opposes federal regulation on philosophical grounds is single-handedly blocking legislation that would strengthen safety rules for oil and gas pipelines, legislation that even the pipeline industry and companies in his own state support.

Republican Sen. Rand Paul's opposition to the bill hasn't wavered even after a gas pipeline rupture last week shook people awake in three counties in his home state of Kentucky.

All it takes is one asshole in the government to fuck everything up. No wonder this country is so screwed up right now.

Often, people tend to stand for things "on principal"... Yet if you look at it, that "principal" is stubornness, since they have already entrenched themselves and view budging from that stance as negative. Thing is, stubornness is NOT a principal, it is a defect that stands in the way... The principal that should be applied is 'humility', which is actually the antithesis of stubornness, and allows one to change their stance, if so required.

traddad

Sep 27, 2011, 6:29 AM
Post #3 of 17 (1493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

Often, people tend to stand for things "on principal"... Yet if you look at it, that "principal" is stubornness, since they have already entrenched themselves and view budging from that stance as negative. Thing is, stubornness is NOT a principal, it is a defect that stands in the way... The principal that should be applied is 'humility', which is actually the antithesis of stubornness, and allows one to change their stance, if so required.

Nicely stated.

Edit: It seems that intransigence has a special place in the American Mythology. Somehow we have mistaken it for backbone. With it comes willfull ignorance...and that's a potent pairing.

(This post was edited by traddad on Sep 27, 2011, 6:35 AM)

scrapedape

Sep 27, 2011, 7:47 AM
Post #4 of 17 (1484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gas pipeline standards are clearly the purview of state authority. Each state should be able to set standards appropriate to its local needs. It's not like we have a network of pipelines crisscrossing 49 states. Also, individual states should be able to adopt the metric system if they so choose.

traddad

Sep 27, 2011, 8:12 AM
Post #5 of 17 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scrapedape] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
Gas pipeline standards are clearly the purview of state authority. Each state should be able to set standards appropriate to its local needs. It's not like we have a network of pipelines crisscrossing 49 states. Also, individual states should be able to adopt the metric system if they so choose.

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 27, 2011, 9:12 AM
Post #6 of 17 (1471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scrapedape wrote:
I disagree with that, as the minimum standard for this type of piping is API-1104, and needs to be enforced at ALL levels. I have inspected a lot of pipe to that standard, and more sringent ones as well.

Engineers should set standards... Period.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 27, 2011, 9:18 AM)

traddad

Sep 27, 2011, 9:15 AM
Post #7 of 17 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
I disagree with that, as the minimum standard for this type of piping is API-1104, and needs to be enforced at ALL levels.
I'm absolutely sure his post was tongue in cheek. Thus the trophy.

it was...wasn't it?

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 27, 2011, 9:17 AM
Post #8 of 17 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
rrrADAM wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
I disagree with that, as the minimum standard for this type of piping is API-1104, and needs to be enforced at ALL levels.
I'm absolutely sure his post was tongue in cheek. Thus the trophy.

it was...wasn't it?

Guess this one applies to me as well:

*replacing batteries in my sarcasm meter... as mine must have died* Blush

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 27, 2011, 9:43 AM)

Partner rrrADAM

Sep 27, 2011, 9:27 AM
Post #9 of 17 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, I should have used my words in a more detailed manner, as I dealt mainly in the construction phase of the pipe... There ather codes, standards, and methods for monitoring and maintaining burried pipe, and while I have some experience with that as well, it is a small fraction compared to the construction end.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Sep 27, 2011, 9:29 AM)

curt

Sep 27, 2011, 9:42 AM
Post #10 of 17 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

True. And we have so many...

Curt

petsfed

Sep 27, 2011, 6:31 PM
Post #11 of 17 (1418 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

Curt

What's impressive is how many of them are calibrated to produce horse or bullshit. I think a few even output pigshit, in ways no god would ever intend.

scrapedape

Sep 28, 2011, 7:02 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
scrapedape wrote:
I disagree with that, as the minimum standard for this type of piping is API-1104, and needs to be enforced at ALL levels. I have inspected a lot of pipe to that standard, and more sringent ones as well.

Yeah, traddad read my post correctly.

But, I do think that this is a bit simplistic:

In reply to:
Engineers should set standards... Period.

It's really the "period" part that troubles me. Engineers are great for engineering work, but engineers can't set a useful standard on their own. A standard, especially a safety standard, by necessity has to incorporate non-technical criteria. For example, what is the right balance between safety and cost? You can always make a system more safe, but at what point do diminishing returns make this undesirable? These are not questions that engineering (period!) can address.

petsfed

Sep 28, 2011, 1:51 PM
Post #13 of 17 (1370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed. For the same reason, ethics committees are rarely composed solely of practitioners of the field they're meant to oversee. You need that external point of view to produce meaningful guidelines. The stereotype of the ivory tower intellectual is grounded in phenomena such as this.

On the other hand, new, industry lauded safety regulations have met legislative resistance here in Wyoming, and we're in the top 5 in the nation in terms of workplace fatalities, so stubbornness is not regional (sadly).

Toast_in_the_Machine

Sep 28, 2011, 8:45 PM
Post #14 of 17 (1354 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For those of y'all who don't follow midwest politics. We have Republicans on the environmental side and against big business. Really. No really. I'm not making this up.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/...y.html#ixzz1ZJFnoiA1

In reply to:
The state's Republican governor, Dave Heineman, and its two U.S. senators - Republican Mike Johanns and Democrat Ben Nelson - have led the battle against the pipeline despite a State Department environmental study that concluded it poses no significant risk.

With a final ruling looming later this year, pipeline opponents are pleading with the State Department and TransCanada to move the proposed route farther east to avoid the Sand Hills and the aquifer, which supplies 80 per cent of Nebraska's drinking water.

Robert Jones, a TransCanada vicepresident, told Nebraskans it's too late to change the pipeline's path. At a news conference before Tuesday's hearing, Jones blamed environmental groups for sowing fear among state residents about the safety of the project.

ubu

Sep 29, 2011, 3:56 AM
Post #15 of 17 (1341 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Toast_in_the_Machine] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:
For those of y'all who don't follow midwest politics. We have Republicans on the environmental side and against big business. Really. No really. I'm not making this up.

In reply to:
The state's Republican governor, Dave Heineman, and its two U.S. senators - Republican Mike Johanns and Democrat Ben Nelson - have led the battle against the pipeline despite a State Department environmental study that concluded it poses no significant risk.

With a final ruling looming later this year, pipeline opponents are pleading with the State Department and TransCanada to move the proposed route farther east to avoid the Sand Hills and the aquifer, which supplies 80 per cent of Nebraska's drinking water.

Robert Jones, a TransCanada vicepresident, told Nebraskans it's too late to change the pipeline's path. At a news conference before Tuesday's hearing, Jones blamed environmental groups for sowing fear among state residents about the safety of the project.

NIMBY whiners.

justroberto

Oct 5, 2011, 9:08 PM
Post #16 of 17 (1278 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ubu] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ubu wrote:
Toast_in_the_Machine wrote:

In reply to:

NIMBY whiners.

Seriously. They should just dump the oil directly into the waterways, as it would eventually make its way down to the refineries around the Gulf of Mexico. Then we wouldn't have to worry about all that wasteful pipe construction.

Environmentalism at its finest!

wjca

Oct 6, 2011, 11:33 AM
Post #17 of 17 (1253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Gas line safety bill [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
curt wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

Curt

What's impressive is how many of them are calibrated to produce horse or bullshit. I think a few even output pigshit, in ways no god would ever intend.

That's deep.

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook