First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

blondgecko

Sep 28, 2011, 3:35 AM
Post #51 of 69 (6312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm now enjoying the best (?) of all three worlds. Bigass number cruncher at work running CentOS with a Windows in VirtualBox, and a MacBook Air for when I'm on the move.

jt512

Sep 28, 2011, 5:39 AM
Post #52 of 69 (6306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
I'm now enjoying the best (?) of all three worlds. Bigass number cruncher at work running CentOS with a Windows in VirtualBox, and a MacBook Air for when I'm on the move.

That's hard to argue with (even for me). If you have to have Windows at all, sequestering it in VirtualBox, I think, is the way to go. And you can't beat the lightness and slimness of the Mac for portability.

Jay

sungam

Sep 28, 2011, 8:36 AM
Post #53 of 69 (6302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
you can't beat the lightness and slimness of the Mac for portability.
Actually, have you seen the new Dell XPS 15z? It's meant to be their "macbook killer". It's kinda a ripoff of the air. It's pretty much the same size, has an i5, 4gb ram, 500gb SSD, and also a dvd drive.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/...dell-xps-15z-review/

My sister actually got one yesterday. I didn't end up installing arch cuz I had to help her move all her files over from her very much dead old laptop.

It's not quite as nice as the air, but it's pretty damn nice.

sungam

Sep 28, 2011, 8:45 AM
Post #54 of 69 (6299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ArchLinux, dude. ArchLinux.

Jay
Okay, I am doing it tonight. We'll see what happens...

If I don't post for a few days, don't worry. I just wiped my whole hardrive while trying to partition.

Be sure to follow the Beginner's Guide in the Archlinux wiki.
Yes. Many readings.

qwert

Sep 28, 2011, 8:48 AM
Post #55 of 69 (6297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

If I don't post for a few days, don't worry. I just wiped my whole hardrive while trying to partition.
So what did happen in Kubuntuland that made you so desperate that you want to try arch Shocked ?

qwert

qwert

Sep 28, 2011, 8:53 AM
Post #56 of 69 (6296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:
you can't beat the lightness and slimness of the Mac for portability.
Actually, have you seen the new Dell XPS 15z? It's meant to be their "macbook killer". It's kinda a ripoff of the air. It's pretty much the same size, has an i5, 4gb ram, 500gb SSD, and also a dvd drive.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/...dell-xps-15z-review/

My sister actually got one yesterday. I didn't end up installing arch cuz I had to help her move all her files over from her very much dead old laptop.

It's not quite as nice as the air, but it's pretty damn nice.
How is a 15" behemoth in any way comparable to apples cake cutter?

The only way to go in laptops is business laptops! Lenovo thinkpads (though they are starting to kill the brand), HP elitbooks (though HP went full retard recently), Dell lattitudes and precisions (though the new series is an atrocity), Panasonic toughbooks and maybe some others.

Or get a disposable netbook.

qwert

sungam

Sep 28, 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #57 of 69 (6289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [qwert] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

So what did happen in Kubuntuland that made you so desperate that you want to try arch Shocked ?

qwert
My laptop broke. Kubuntu was rad, and I like Mint and Ubuntu and Scientific Linux, I just want to try Arch because I am a dork.

blondgecko

Sep 28, 2011, 10:33 AM
Post #58 of 69 (6284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
blondgecko wrote:

That's hard to argue with (even for me). If you have to have Windows at all, sequestering it in VirtualBox, I think, is the way to go. And you can't beat the lightness and slimness of the Mac for portability.

Jay

Yup - I'm stuck with Windows because in contrast to US universities, everyone here barring the comp. sci. and maths departments is in bed with Microsoft. Was able to successfully argue for the Linux machine because the modelling software I run on it (NAMD) is native there. As for the Air, well, it's a Unix-based OS, making it absurdly easy to ssh to my big machine wherever I happen to be. That, and it's got style.

qwert

Sep 28, 2011, 6:09 PM
Post #59 of 69 (6268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
qwert wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

qwert
My laptop broke. Kubuntu was rad, and I like Mint and Ubuntu and Scientific Linux, I just want to try Arch because I am a dork.
You tried Scientific?
Is it any good as non science desktop OS?
I am kinda intrigued by their long support cycles. With Fedora i am always on a way to old version, since i often simply cant risk upgrading my distro.

qwert

sungam

Sep 28, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #60 of 69 (6262 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
sungam wrote:
qwert wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

qwert
You tried Scientific?
I am kinda intrigued by their long support cycles. With Fedora i am always on a way to old version, since i often simply cant risk upgrading my distro.

qwert
It's pretty good. We have it on all the lab computers in the physics department. It works quickly and smoothly, but I am a big dork and like to make things look really nice, and there are just a few things about scientific that stop you from really making you desktop look totally sweet. For example, I often like to have a bottom bar with nothing but task manager and desktop selector, then have my icons on a pop-out bar on the left, and my time/date/etc. on a bar in the top right that is offset from the side so I can see my mini/max/close buttons. I like the window to go under the shorty panel in the top right. On scientific it is almost impossible to make the window go under the panel.

Also, even when you make the panels transparent, the "move this panel" bits at the side are still white with the tiny dots on, and it looks ugly.

If you are not a big dork these types of things likely aren't an issue. You definitely won't notice them if you run it "windows style" with the task launcher, task manager, and time/date all on a single bottom or top bar.

Other then the cosmetic stuff I lurv it, though. I think the file manager is really simple and easy to use, and it has little or no clutter on any of the windows. It is also fast.

Plus you get to feel like a badass cuz CERN and Fermilab made it Tongue

jt512

Sep 28, 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #61 of 69 (6257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

qwert wrote:
sungam wrote:
qwert wrote:
sungam wrote:
jt512 wrote:

Jay

qwert
You tried Scientific?

qwert

I tried on a laptop a few years ago. I couldn't get videos to play, and I gave up and switched to another distro.

sungam

Sep 28, 2011, 10:48 PM
Post #62 of 69 (6250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I am now running Arch on my desktop. Being so involved in the installation was rad, even if it did take (literally) all day. I'm gunna set up my desktop environment tomorrow moring. I am still unsure if I am going to use LXDE or GNOME, though.

jt512

Sep 29, 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #63 of 69 (6245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Okay, I am now running Arch on my desktop. Being so involved in the installation was rad, even if it did take (literally) all day. I'm gunna set up my desktop environment tomorrow moring. I am still unsure if I am going to use LXDE or GNOME, though.

I think LXDE is too light, and GNOME, too complicated, the latter requiring a truckload of dependencies that inevitably broke something eventually. When I used a DM, I thought xfce was just about right.

But, have you thought about foregoing the DM altogether, and just going with a window manager? I'm currently using xmonad, a tiling window manager, and I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to a non-tiling WM.

Jay

hafilax

Sep 29, 2011, 4:12 AM
Post #64 of 69 (6230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My macbook woes continue. The power supply cable snapped at the strain relief. What an absolutely idiotic design! Mad It's less than a month over warranty and I can't open the stupid thing to fix it. Ended up cutting the wire and kluging the coax back together.

It really pisses me off that Apple products not only break just after the warranty expires but they are designed to have no serviceable parts. They do not stand behind their hardware at all.

I like the OS and the touchpad but I'm beginning to hate just about everything else.

I just started a new job and the systems there are built around Windows 7. It's been a while.

sungam

Sep 29, 2011, 8:45 AM
Post #65 of 69 (6223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
sungam wrote:

I think LXDE is too light, and GNOME, too complicated, the latter requiring a truckload of dependencies that inevitably broke something eventually. When I used a DM, I thought xfce was just about right.

But, have you thought about foregoing the DM altogether, and just going with a window manager? I'm currently using xmonad, a tiling window manager, and I can't imagine ever wanting to go back to a non-tiling WM.

Jay
Yeah, originally I was just going to go with a windows manager, but then I saw all those flashy videos on youtube where people had really pretty desktops...
I think I will try simple first before I get carried away with over the top desktop effects. I'll check out xmonad, the tiling thing looks pretty rad.

hafilax

Sep 29, 2011, 1:45 PM
Post #66 of 69 (6211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm the opposite. I turn off all of the extra desktop effects and animations.

sungam

Sep 29, 2011, 2:26 PM
Post #67 of 69 (6205 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hafilax] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hafilax wrote:
I'm the opposite. I turn off all of the extra desktop effects and animations.
Do you mean like the compiz effects where the windows burn when you close them and wobble about when they move? Those bug me. I do, however, like it when my windows go transparent when I move them, and when it is very easy to move them between desktop spaces.

unabonger

Nov 28, 2011, 12:23 AM
Post #68 of 69 (6008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

linux is for poor people

jt512

Nov 28, 2011, 2:34 AM
Post #69 of 69 (6001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unabonger] Fuck Mac. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

unabonger wrote:
linux is for poor smart people

Fixt

(This post was edited by jt512 on Nov 28, 2011, 2:35 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook