RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

Reaganchung

Sep 28, 2011, 2:49 PM
Post #1 of 12 (6610 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Reaganchung
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

ilikepargo

Oct 4, 2011, 1:33 AM
Post #2 of 12 (6506 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Reaganchung] Southern California Re-bolting Project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of years ago the anchors on "Laserline" on the Gorilla Face at Devil's Punchbowl seemed pretty sketchy. I haven't been back up that one since then, but I'd like to. It's got such a wicked crux! I mentioned this to Medusa last Winter, but I have no idea whether he or anyone else has been up there.

pylonhead

Oct 4, 2011, 1:44 AM
Post #3 of 12 (6502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] Southern California Re-bolting Project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ilikepargo wrote:
A couple of years ago the anchors on "Laserline" on the Gorilla Face at Devil's Punchbowl seemed pretty sketchy. I haven't been back up that one since then, but I'd like to. It's got such a wicked crux! I mentioned this to Medusa last Winter, but I have no idea whether he or anyone else has been up there.

There are definitely some sketchy bolts on some of the less traveled slab routes at the Punchbowl.

At Malibu Creek, I'm pretty sure one of the fixed biners at the top of Nipple Denial Syndrome (stumbling blocks) is welded open.

ianmeister89

Oct 4, 2011, 2:38 AM
Post #4 of 12 (6490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ilikepargo] Southern California Re-bolting Project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ilikepargo wrote:

I think I may be going to the punchowl this weekend, I'll check it out. Yes, many of the slab routes have outdated bolts, but most don't really get enough (any) traffic from what I've seen to merit rebolting. Slot machine, however may not be a bad one to look into.

-Ian

ianmeister89

Oct 4, 2011, 2:41 AM
Post #5 of 12 (6489 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] Southern California Re-bolting Project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The fixed biners are welded shut. So, there isn't really that big of an issue, just a bit of an inconvenience. I remember Urban struggle has a tipped out 1/4 bolt with SMC hangar that would definitely be worth replacing.

healyje

Oct 4, 2011, 4:23 AM
Post #6 of 12 (6470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should probably post this up over on Supertopo...

Wavebolt

Oct 4, 2011, 11:32 AM
Post #7 of 12 (6439 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Why use mechanical bolts when they are inferior to glue-ins, more expensive, and will have to be replaced again in the future?

ilikepargo

Oct 5, 2011, 8:15 AM
Post #8 of 12 (6398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ianmeister89] Southern California Re-bolting Project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ianmeister89 wrote:
ilikepargo wrote:

I think I may be going to the punchowl this weekend, I'll check it out. Yes, many of the slab routes have outdated bolts, but most don't really get enough (any) traffic from what I've seen to merit rebolting. Slot machine, however may not be a bad one to look into.

-Ian
Thanks, Ian.

Like I said, it may have been fixed already. I'm not sure. I'll look forward to hearing...

guangzhou

Oct 18, 2011, 2:38 AM
Post #9 of 12 (6179 views)
Shortcut

Re: Southern California Re-bolting Project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to see you guys taking initiative and reestablishing climbing routes to a nice safety level.

A comment on slab routes not seeing much traffic. I wonder of it's because the bolts are so bad. Could people be avoiding the routes with bad bolts and rebolting them, the traffic on other routes gets spread out.

Only climb in the area about one week a year when I visit mom, so don't know. The Southern Cal does seem to have a lot of climbers to support this great effort.

Reaganchung

Oct 18, 2011, 4:11 AM
Post #10 of 12 (6163 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by Reaganchung [In reply to]
Report this Post

medusa

Oct 19, 2011, 2:36 AM
Post #11 of 12 (6030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Better stop your bolting! You have no idea what the hell you're doing..
And Stop spewing about it all over the web. The Punch bowl has a bolting ban if you get caught by the ranger, they my Ban climbing at the bowl.
Since you're a noob climber making big clams on line and your a small little guy. trouble will come your way if you keep it up . Better pull this whole thread. If you have not invested in development or trails or put in time to these areas what gives you the right to just jump trail and start bolting other peoples routes. Bill Levinthal,Matt Oliphant, and many others don't want you fixing their routes. so stop now.

billcoe_

Oct 28, 2011, 9:35 PM
Post #12 of 12 (5874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [medusa] Southern California Re-bolting Project [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

medusa wrote:
Better stop your bolting! You have no idea what the hell you're doing..
And Stop spewing about it all over the web. The Punch bowl has a bolting ban if you get caught by the ranger, they my Ban climbing at the bowl.
Since you're a noob climber making big clams on line and your a small little guy. trouble will come your way if you keep it up . Better pull this whole thread. If you have not invested in development or trails or put in time to these areas what gives you the right to just jump trail and start bolting other peoples routes. Bill Levinthal,Matt Oliphant, and many others don't want you fixing their routes. so stop now.

Well, that ended that conversation.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook