Forums: Climbing Information: Technique & Training:
Exercises to build contact strength in Military?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

jordanindenmark

Sep 28, 2011, 8:39 PM
Post #1 of 17 (3477 views)
Shortcut

Exercises to build contact strength in Military?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am about to enlist into the Navy. I only recently got into rockclimbing and I REALLY love it. But I don't want to waste four years while I am in the Navy not improving my strength for rockclimbing (as it takes years to develop rock hard finger strength). Any advice on things I can do during my free time to improve my grip/contact strength and pulling strength?

JoeNYC

Sep 28, 2011, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 17 (3456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jordanindenmark] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try a hangboard for the fingers, but go easy at first. The one made by moon climbing is simple and effective, though maybe a bit tough at first unless you are quite fit. Their website, and also Eric Hurst's (training for climbing) offer a lot of great training advice for free. Some of it can be dome anywhere, like core training, and if you have access to barbells, heavy finger rolls (i have no experience with these).

There are other boards too: Detroit Climbing and Beastmaker (in the UK) are both great. Or if you only want to spend a little less (I do), buy a piece of 1 or 3/4 inch wood and screw it above your door.

You can tailor your workouts to compliment the style of climbing you want to get good at, that is, power for bouldering or endurance for routes.

sungam

Sep 29, 2011, 2:53 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JoeNYC] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

JoeNYC wrote:
Eric Hurst
Horst, not hurst.

Looks like you are destined for some time on a hangboard.

Proper use of a hangboard can get you wicked strong, improper use can get you wicked injured.
There is a huge amount of info on the web (check out moonclimbing's training area, horst's articles at nicros.com, gresham's articles at planetfear.com, and rockprodigy's article on this website) on hangboarding.

The bottom line is keep good form (tight shoulders etc.), warm up very well, don't "over do it", rest plenty, and train antagonistic muscles regularly.

shockabuku

Sep 29, 2011, 6:26 AM
Post #4 of 17 (3389 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jordanindenmark] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/rock_rings.html

Take your shoes and a chalk bag wherever you go. Figure out where and how you can do some "buildering" in the boat when you're out on a deployment.

MaxGallagher123

Oct 7, 2011, 6:58 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3156 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The sandbag toss and the weighted towel-roll up are great methods of hand grip exercise. Please check this one also http://www.exercisesforabshq.com/exercises-for-abs/.

guangzhou

Oct 7, 2011, 7:17 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MaxGallagher123] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not sure what your new Navy job is, but I think you'll be surprised at how much climbing time you get while serving. Cheers

sungam

Oct 8, 2011, 6:42 AM
Post #7 of 17 (3114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MaxGallagher123] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

MaxGallagher123 wrote:
The sandbag toss and the weighted towel-roll up are great methods of hand grip exercise. Please check this one also http://www.exercisesforabshq.com/exercises-for-abs/.
What a moron.

damienclimber

Oct 18, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jordanindenmark wrote:
I am about to enlist into the Navy. I only recently got into rockclimbing and I REALLY love it. But I don't want to waste four years while I am in the Navy not improving my strength for rockclimbing (as it takes years to develop rock hard finger strength). Any advice on things I can do during my free time to improve my grip/contact strength and pulling strength?

Shooting guns in stealth mode

Climb mountains for secret attacks!

USnavy

Oct 18, 2011, 5:18 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
Not sure what your new Navy job is, but I think you'll be surprised at how much climbing time you get while serving. Cheers
How much time you get to climb is HIGHLY dependent on a number of things. But the mainly its dependent on what type of duty station your command is classified as (e.g., shore, type III sea, type II sea, sub, ect.), the specific polices of your command, and your rate and rating. But basically, if you are on sea duty (except type III sea), dont expect to climb much. You will be on deployment a lot and doing sea trials and crap like that a lot. Those guys often spend nine months out of the year doing work related stuff. You will get some foreign port time, but you will not be able to climb while in a foreign port because of time restrictions and buddy requirements.

If you get type I duty (shore), you MAY have a lot of time to climb, but that's highly dependent on your command. I know some shore commands that only give their Sailors six days a month off, others give their Sailors 15 days off a month, it just depends.

edit: This assumes we are talking about the US Navy.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Oct 19, 2011, 4:24 PM)

damienclimber

Oct 19, 2011, 3:25 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

jordanindenmark wrote:

Are you from Denmark and you want to enlist in the Navy in the U.S? Did you marry an Ameican? Some part of this story sounds off.

I've been to Denmark and have some Danish friends. So what's the truth?

You user name says in Denmark. Maybe your background is Danish?
Denmark is a beautiful country, Lets start this story from the beginning. Just so people can give you advice that is pertinent.

The fact you can't answer a simple question makes me question the validity of what you are saying.

bottom line U.S is Not an upgrade over Denmark. Are you trying to stay here because you overstayed your visa?

Do you think if you are out in the sea the government will give you a visa?

It is highly doubtful.

Denmark is better than the U.S. unless you have a professional career such a doctor.

Still ,unless you marry an American they will not give you Citizenship. (then they will check on you)

Being in the navy they will look at your papers.passport, visa all the time.
Do yourself a favor speak to an attorney.

Ex- I have a friend of mine from Beligum who is a surgeon for 10 years , he still cannot get american citzenship. Every year he has to pay 10,000 on attorney fees. I also think he can't visit home because he won't be able to return to the U.S.

tscampbell

Oct 19, 2011, 6:20 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok, please base something in your post on fact, or at least try to research the topic before blabbering something so outlandish for the whole world to see. ENLISTING IN THE US MILITARY CAN GET YOU A CITIZENSHIP... oh wait what do i know, i only spent 13 weeks on parris island with a native swede who gained his citizenship through service, and yes, he thought it was an upgrade even being in the UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS. but silly me, i'm probably just making stuff up like everyone else on this freaking thing. right. but oh yeah, there is such thing as a danish navy too... maybe it's the fact that i've been posted for 18 or so hours with 9 more to go while sick as a dog, but i'm irrationally pissed off right now. my apologies to any sane and reasonable person i may have offended.

(This post was edited by tscampbell on Oct 19, 2011, 6:30 AM)

tscampbell

Oct 19, 2011, 6:27 AM
Post #12 of 17 (2774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

don't count on getting too much for climbing strength out of your time in the military, it's called service for a reason. i got pretty weak compared to what i used to do in the first few years (my time for climbing was a tad scarce) but i would recommend different forearm trainers namely the grip master extra heavy and the dynaflex. you can pick up either from the internet for around $20. not entirely sure how it would be in the navy, but i quickly put on about 20 lbs in legs and ass, and compensating for the gain has taken substantial amounts of training, but check the gyms where ever you go, you might find some decent training walls (the navy is really well funded) but if you are unmarried, the hangboard idea is almost certainly out. of course nothing is going to work better than climbing, so do that, campus under stairs or builder if you have to. good luck, and i thank you for your service.

sungam

Oct 19, 2011, 9:07 AM
Post #13 of 17 (2742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You're from Denmark, and want to participate in the U. S. Navy forces? When she married Ameican? Part of this story sound.

I have some friends in Denmark and Denmark. What is truth?

Your username in Denmark. Maybe your background is Denmark?
Denmark is a beautiful country, to start from scratch this story. That is how one person can give you advice is important.

I really can not answer a simple question, so I doubt the validity of what he said.

The bottom line is that the U.S. no more than an upgrade of Denmark. Are you trying to stay here because you have more than a visa?

Do you think if you're at sea, the government gives you a visa?

This is certainly a great extent.

Denmark is the best in the U.S., unless you have a career as a doctor.

However, unless the United States to marry, she will not give citizenship. (Then they will be checked)

As the Navy looks papers.passport visa and all the time.
Do it yourself favor speaking lawyer.

I have one of my 10 years as a surgeon Beligum former friends, he is still the U.S. citzenship. Each year to pay attorney's 10,000. I also think that they can not visit the country, it can not be returned to the U.S.

English -> Arabic ->Chinese -> Macedonian -> Dutch -> English???

Sorry guys, it worked for Jaques Unsure

I guess there is no translating Enigma.

jordanindenmark

Nov 5, 2011, 5:52 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2451 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To clarify... my username... Jordanindenmark is just a username I came up with a long time ago and I tend to use it most places because of the fact it is unique and is never taken. Secondly, I am now officially a member of the US Navy, I am going to be going into the Nuclear Field Program. I am set to leave during the summer.

sungam

Nov 6, 2011, 2:31 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2425 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jordanindenmark wrote:
To clarify... my username...
Explain it a million times. Enigma still won't understand - you'll always be a foreigner to her.

jordanindenmark

Nov 6, 2011, 1:00 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Exercises to build contact strength in Military? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

To clarify... my username... Jordanindenmark is just a username I came up with a long time ago and I tend to use it most places because of the fact it is unique and is never taken.
To clarify... my username... Jordanindenmark is just a username I came up with a long time ago and I tend to use it most places because of the fact it is unique and is never taken.

There's twenty times... not a million, but is that good enough?

sungam

Nov 7, 2011, 2:12 AM
Post #17 of 17 (2373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jordanindenmark wrote:

There's twenty times... not a million, but is that good enough?
LaughLaughLaugh Well, no one has ever had the patience to try to rail the information into her head all in one post... It might just work!

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$44.96 (10% off)
$26.06 (10% off)
$209.66 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook