RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

ENARE

Sep 29, 2011, 2:59 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2304 views)
Shortcut

My newb moment for the day
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

How can I work my climbing routines so that I can climb and boulder all day long. I have pretty burly calluses built up from the past 6 months of climbing; however, my finger tips are still getting soar after some of my sessions. for example, bruising my finger tips.

I figure that eventually I will come to the realization that this is all part of the adventure and that breaks are necessary but I don't want to admit defeat just yet.

lena_chita

Sep 29, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ENARE] My newb moment for the day [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Where in California are you climbing? Depending on rock type, this may be just impossible.

Climbing on sandstone, I never feel that my fingertips or skin on the hands in general are ever worn out. It's my forearms that are turning to noodles from overhangs, my skin could take a lot more abuse than it ever gets in a day of climbing on sandstone.

But a sharp crimp on schist or limestone -- and my fingertips could be bleeding after a few tries.
Climbing at Buttermilks last year I felt that my fingertips were getting shredded very fast, and Joshua Tree had the same effect when I visited there.

jeepnphreak

Sep 29, 2011, 7:47 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] My newb moment for the day [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohh I feel ya there, last climbing trip on lime stone left me bleeding from tiring to pull a small roof with a sharp crystalline pocket that slit my ring finger very well.

Rmsyll2

Sep 29, 2011, 9:24 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2177 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Soar is what hawks and gliders do. Sore is what muscles can become, and will, from overuse. To prevent soreness, prevent overuse. Start gradual, take rests, drink water.

sungam

Sep 30, 2011, 4:24 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as skin goes there isn't all that much you can do but try to help it recover as much as possible overnight/between sessions (salve etc.). As for muscles, a lot of it has to do with nutrition. Keep your hydration and glycogen levels high.

ENARE

Sep 30, 2011, 10:05 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rmsyll2] My newb moment for the day [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rmsyll2 wrote:
Soar is what hawks and gliders do. Sore is what muscles can become, and will, from overuse. To prevent soreness, prevent overuse. Start gradual, take rests, drink water.

Thanks for the correction...

My fore arms and hands feel fine for the most part. Basically is it literally the tips of my fingers that are getting sore.

We are on sandstone here in Santa Barbara, CA. I have always known it to be a soft rock but for some reason it has been taring up my fingers more and more lately. I am also cranking on harder problems as well so that might be the case.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook