RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

RaceCarr

Sep 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
Post #1 of 16 (7197 views)
Shortcut

Goals and Accountability
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

I've been climbing for about 9 months now and recently decided to keep a blog about how my climbing is going. my last post was about Goals and Accountability. And can be found here:
http://v10orbust.blogspot.com/.../accountability.html

to give you a little background on me, as I'm still very new to posting on this particular blog; I've run track for the 11 years in high school, followed by college all four years and then on my own. I also coach pole vault at the college and high school level and have been coaching for about 5 years now. I've spent a lot of that time teaching sport specific weight lifting, and writing work out routines for all levels of athletes with a lot of success.
I began climbing because I had become bored with Track and needed something else to pass the time and keep in shape. I quickly saw a sport that I could fall in love with and tackle with the same tenacity I approached T+F with.
I only really boulder. I have top roped, and look forward to getting into lead climbing in the future. However my gym only offers bouldering and I have no had the time to get outside with the intention of actually climbing.

Hopefully there is something in this blog that helps you to tackle your goals and improve as an athlete.

please, let me know your thoughts and feelings about the post. i'd love to hear what you think.

James C.

Gmburns2000

Sep 19, 2011, 1:27 PM
Post #2 of 16 (7156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [RaceCarr] Goals and Accountability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

RaceCarr wrote:
Hey guys,

I've been climbing for about 9 months now and recently decided to keep a blog about how my climbing is going. my last post was about Goals and Accountability. And can be found here:
http://v10orbust.blogspot.com/.../accountability.html

to give you a little background on me, as I'm still very new to posting on this particular blog; I've run track for the 11 years in high school, followed by college all four years and then on my own. I also coach pole vault at the college and high school level and have been coaching for about 5 years now. I've spent a lot of that time teaching sport specific weight lifting, and writing work out routines for all levels of athletes with a lot of success.
I began climbing because I had become bored with Track and needed something else to pass the time and keep in shape. I quickly saw a sport that I could fall in love with and tackle with the same tenacity I approached T+F with.
I only really boulder. I have top roped, and look forward to getting into lead climbing in the future. However my gym only offers bouldering and I have no had the time to get outside with the intention of actually climbing.

Hopefully there is something in this blog that helps you to tackle your goals and improve as an athlete.

please, let me know your thoughts and feelings about the post. i'd love to hear what you think.

James C.

Good post. Good luck with reaching your goals, too. Be sure to have fun along the way.

crashkickave

Sep 19, 2011, 2:18 PM
Post #3 of 16 (7137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only done top-roping a couple times, not any bouldering yet. Great blog post! it makes me wanna be more active as a climber.

RaceCarr

Sep 22, 2011, 9:20 AM
Post #4 of 16 (7034 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crashkickave] Goals and Accountability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys, I am having a good time. a little too much in fact and will now be taking several days off in order to recover and make that final push at a healthy physical state.

RaceCarr

Oct 1, 2011, 8:30 PM
Post #5 of 16 (6890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys, I just wanted to update anybody who was keeping tabs on the post about goals and accountability.

My month is over and so now it's about whether or not i made my v7.

check out the blog to see how i did.
http://v10orbust.blogspot.com/.../september-2011.html

(This post was edited by RaceCarr on Oct 1, 2011, 8:30 PM)

healyje

Oct 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #6 of 16 (6878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

"Goals and Accountability"

Hmmm. This 'push' approach is certainly one way to go about things. It has zero appeal to me of any kind whatsoever, however. I don't, and never have, climbed with this kind of mentality. I do know plenty of climbers who have this kind of driven / 'push' approach to climbing - and I have seen it often among those who came to climbing from more traditional sports.

Others of us, though, came to climbing out of an deep, intrinsic need to climb and are obsessively drawn by some aspect of a climb (in my case, never, ever the difficulty) and have been 'pulled', almost inescapably, from climb to climb. It required no training or discipline and I really can't imagine a place for either in the context of my climbing.

Both approaches have yielded great climbers through the years and this is just a heads up other approaches exist.

RaceCarr

Oct 2, 2011, 9:18 AM
Post #7 of 16 (6836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Goals and Accountability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree. my style is not for everyone. in fact, it's often why i tend to go through climbing partners. it's also why i am more picky now. for most, my style isn't the experience they're looking for. and i completely respect that. however, in all the sports i've competed in, this is the style that has made me achieve what i have. it's my nature and it suits me.

as far as intrinsic motivation, i have that. it's what keeps me going when soreness or physically i'm drained. i love the feeling of solving the puzzle. the number is simply a more tangible way of recording my progress. in improving myself through a training regimen, i physically improve allowing me to tackle routes that are more difficult and push my mental skills (reading a route, finding beta that works for me, etc all act like puzzle solving in a sense.)

and finally the sheer freedom of movement, the kinesthetic awareness that i'm developing that's so much greater than i've ever needed for a sport. or maybe just so strikingly different that it feels completely new.

the "push" is just one small piece of my climbing experience.

healyje

Oct 2, 2011, 10:29 AM
Post #8 of 16 (6831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad to hear it - give a shout if you're ever down Beacon way...

johnwesely

Oct 2, 2011, 1:14 PM
Post #9 of 16 (6822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:

Hmmm. This 'push' approach is certainly one way to go about things. It has zero appeal to me of any kind whatsoever, however. I don't, and never have, climbed with this kind of mentality. I do know plenty of climbers who have this kind of driven / 'push' approach to climbing - and I have seen it often among those who came to climbing from more traditional sports.

Others of us, though, came to climbing out of an deep, intrinsic need to climb and are obsessively drawn by some aspect of a climb (in my case, never, ever the difficulty) and have been 'pulled', almost inescapably, from climb to climb. It required no training or discipline and I really can't imagine a place for either in the context of my climbing.

Both approaches have yielded great climbers through the years and this is just a heads up other approaches exist.

I have always had a pretty big distaste for traditional sports, but I still find climbing harder, whether mentally or physically, routes to be more fun. There is something about engaging all of my faculties and the focus required to climb at my limit that I find amazing.

blueeyedclimber

Oct 2, 2011, 5:37 PM
Post #10 of 16 (6795 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That was actually a nice read. Usually, when someone says, "Read my blog," I just roll my eyes and say, "OK," but are secretly thinking, "This is gonna suck." Angelic

My approach is not so much as shooting for a certain grade, but at certain routes, which are usually at a challenging grade. But, at the same time I don't train very hard. I don't attack my weakness like I should. I pretty much just try to climb as much as possible. I don't think I would enjoy it as much if I "trained."

Josh

RaceCarr

Oct 3, 2011, 5:31 AM
Post #11 of 16 (6758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Goals and Accountability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys for the feedback. I'll be keeping the blog posted atleast once a week. or so, i'm hoping right now. I maintain two blogs and the other one is supposed to be my focus.

i'll keep letting you guys know when new stuff is up. and thanks again for the support. :)

ceebo

Oct 3, 2011, 3:18 PM
Post #12 of 16 (6711 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:

If you could hit susan boyle a few times in the face with a bat.. she would still be a better picture than the majority of the crags i have visted in the uk.

Excuse me for registering your post as BS ;p.. i have no choice.

healyje

Oct 3, 2011, 5:39 PM
Post #13 of 16 (6671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Goals and Accountability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is there some point you're attempting to make with that?

RaceCarr

Oct 3, 2011, 9:03 PM
Post #14 of 16 (6623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Goals and Accountability [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ceebo: +1 to what HealyJe said... I'm not sure what your point is, or how that's relevant to the post. thanks though.

(This post was edited by RaceCarr on Oct 4, 2011, 2:03 AM)

Rmsyll2

Oct 4, 2011, 1:56 AM
Post #15 of 16 (6591 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

'healyje' speaks of an esthetic of climbing. This past weekend a fellow who goes back to twisted Goldline rope and scars from body belay was remembering their astonishment at hearing of a climbing competition. They could not figure out what the point was. Whatever it was about, it wasn't about climbing, to them.

RaceCarr

Oct 4, 2011, 6:24 AM
Post #16 of 16 (6563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys,

sorry to bump. i just wanted to let you all know that i ended up getting a 7. not the one i had spent all that time on... I really have very little interest in working on that one right now. instead i hopped on one i gave a couple tries to last week, stuck the really large lunge and the rest of the route was relatively easy.

sorry no video. but i wanted to let you know that a few days rest seemed to make the difference.
James

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook