Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Camping at the Beer Walls
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

floppydoppy22

Oct 10, 2011, 2:28 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2244 views)
Shortcut

Camping at the Beer Walls  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Adirondack_park: Keene_Valley: Beer_Walls)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone,

Heading up that way from PA for a nice little fall multi day climbing, hiking and camping trip with some friends. Everyone in the group is experienced hikers and campers but climbing skill varies greatly which is why the Beer Walls looked like a good choice.... was I right or wrong?

Also there's been some noise about hiking Mt. Marcy and I see that there is a trail that leads from Keene Valley to the summit, it's about 13 miles each way, is this true and is it worth it? I know there is an easier way from the Loj. but we are throwing around ideas.

Last question is how is the camping at the beer walls this time of year? Brisk I'm sure but any opinions good or bad are helpful, as well as better ideas of where to climb and camp.

Thanks!

Gmburns2000

Oct 10, 2011, 5:59 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [floppydoppy22] Camping at the Beer Walls [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are plenty of campgrounds in that area, but from what I remember the Sharp Bridge campground is one of the better ones. I think it is a NY State Park campsite.

If it isn't open, I know there is a KOA nearby, too, but in general, there are a lot of campgrounds in the Keene Valley area.

Good luck.

onceahardman

Oct 10, 2011, 10:44 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How big a group? There is free camping around chapel pond area, no water (unless you treat groundwater/springs/creeks/ponds), possible outhouses.

There are good sites about 2 or 3/10s of a mile from your car, at the base of Roaring Brook Falls, across the brook.

Sharp Bridge was supposed to close. Don't know if it really has.

The trail up Marcy from keene valley (johns brook trail) is longer than the Van Hoevenberg trail, but its not bad. Many good campsites along the way. I don't think it's really 13 miles, unless you go up and over the whole Great Range.

When on state park land, the rules are, (unless posted otherwise), camp anywhere at least 150' off roads, trails, or water supplies.

It will be chilly, but Columbus Day weekend was always my favorite weekend to go climbing in the "dacks."

Good luck.

EDIT: 9 miles

http://www.summitpost.org/...s-brook-trail/162452

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Oct 10, 2011, 10:53 PM)

LostinMaine

Oct 11, 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #4 of 5 (2114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For convenience, the Chapel Pond camp site would probably serve you well, though like was stated, water requires treatment. There is an outhouse now just before you get to the split between the upper and lower beer wall trails, so you can make use of that when needed.

Beer walls would make a good place for some TR setups (entrance wall). If you're in the area, you can drop ropes at the Creature Wall and Jewels and gems for additional TR setups. If they are entry level leaders, the Beers have routes that are on nice rock and are 5.7 or lower (as do creature and J&G).

I can't comment on hiking; I have avoided the high peaks for years to avoid the super highways. I have always preferred the stuff on the eastern side of Lake George (sliding rock, Sleeping Beauty, Black, etc.).

Have fun on the trip!

floppydoppy22

Oct 11, 2011, 1:37 AM
Post #5 of 5 (2098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Right on,

Thanks everyone for the input. There were be some top roping going on for sure. There are three of us going, two can lead (myself included) and one never has before. We're probably going to keep him away from that this trip haha.

We are more minimalist campers as well.... climbing gear and what we absolutely need to camp and that's about it. That being said how are these camp sites? Is it tent city or not too bad because when I take a trip to climb and camp it's always nice to not be surrounded by other tents.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook