Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Ryans Boulders SE PA area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

cardboarddog

Oct 16, 2011, 12:49 PM
Post #1 of 4 (927 views)
Shortcut

Ryans Boulders SE PA area  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Southeastern_Region: Ryans_Boulders)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here we go again with posting areas that have access issues and no directions. Basically so you can say HEY! I know where these boulders are but I can't tell you cuz you can't climb there! It's RETARDED. Just don't put it on the internet? Whats so hard about that? Do you really need recognition that bad?

BTW I've hiked that entire ridge all the way from Hawk rock to rt 61 and there is nothing worth dragging a pad back to. Crumbling slab jugs that are exactly like the crumbling slab jugs at Wind Gap. that was in 2003.

joeforte

Nov 4, 2011, 9:29 PM
Post #2 of 4 (787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cardboarddog] Ryans Boulders SE PA area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not only is it worth dragging a pad back to, some of them even warrant a rope! The rock quality is just as good as emmaus, but without all the chalk and grease from being over climbed. Everything feels like a FA up on the ridge, and there are some real amazing highball easter eggs that look like they should be in Bishop!

Some of the rock is on state game lands, and some are in backyards. Parking is the biggest challenge. I've befriended several locals and have their permission to park on their land, and walk through it. I've also agreed not to bring any more than 1 car. I don't know why the original poster left out the directions to this place, but I bet it is because he wants to keep the traffic to this place low.

None of my favorite climbing spots are on this website, because the spots listed on here often get overcrowded and overchalked. At least the posting on this site gives you a start if you want to do some exploring. Finding the 5 main areas on this ridge took me a few months in the winter, hiking with a pad about once a week. The winter is a great time to scope new rock (less vegetation), and the hiking keeps you warm for when you find stuff to play on. Stumbling upon an amazing boulder or cliff way off in the middle of nowhere, without a guidebook, is such a rewarding experience. Go try it out.

(This post was edited by joeforte on Nov 4, 2011, 9:39 PM)
Attachments: ryans boulders 23.jpg (101 KB)

funk

Nov 8, 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #3 of 4 (718 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Ryans Boulders SE PA area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

HELL YEAH! nice job joe! my buddy has grandparents who live in the immediate vicinity (eg, parking!). he's been in that area, not sure if it's "ryans" or what, but he said that ridge is worth the love.

joeforte

Nov 10, 2011, 9:22 AM
Post #4 of 4 (677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [funk] Ryans Boulders SE PA area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear other people are enjoying these areas!

On a side note, try to keep the chalk to a minimum, and brush it when you leave. Other areas have been closed due to the landowner thinking the chalk was spray paint to make the holds. I have to agree, bright white chalk is very unsightly on the dark granite and gneiss found here.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook