RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

Awodzenski

Oct 17, 2011, 8:38 AM
Post #1 of 4 (485 views)
Shortcut

Looking for a good place to climb/camp for a weekend
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am new to the climbing arena and am just now getting into outdoor climbing and am looking for a good place to climb and camp in Georgia and was looking for some good advice from some of the more senior climbers for advice.

(This post was edited by Awodzenski on Oct 17, 2011, 8:39 AM)

clemsonscooby

Oct 18, 2011, 5:07 AM
Post #2 of 4 (412 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Awodzenski] Looking for a good place to climb/camp for a weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know why you need advice from senior members specifically. If you just mean you are older and need easy approaches and climbing, then I would suggest Currahee and Mount Yonah. Yonah's approach is a bit long and strenuous, but has by far the easiest climbing in Ga. Currahee is a much easier approach, and the slab wall has some easier climbing as well. Currahee is much more conducive to top-roping, while Yonah has a lot of easy sport and trad climbs most of which should be led. The road to Currahee is USFS land, meaning you can camp at any of the pull-offs or any where at least 100' from the road and 50' from a trail. Yonah will be similar, except you start the hike in and look for sites, no camping along the road as it is residential.

Awodzenski

Oct 18, 2011, 5:14 AM
Post #3 of 4 (410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] Looking for a good place to climb/camp for a weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess that came out wrong. I was referring to senor climbers as to people who have been climbing for a while. But easy is good for me at the moment I am a recovering motorcycle rider that is recovering from a bad accident so I am trying not to go too extreme and stick to the baby stuff.

I have had a lot of people who keep telling me about the same places over and over and you cant camp there. I keep getting referred to I think its called boat rock and I was told that there is no place to camp near there.

Scourge

Oct 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #4 of 4 (397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Awodzenski] Looking for a good place to climb/camp for a weekend [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theres no camping at boatrock. you can camp on pigeon mountain and climb at lost wall or rocktown. i recommend driving a little west and checking out horse pens 40 in alabama.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook