Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
Total # of climbing gyms currently operating in U.S.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

VeeBs

Oct 24, 2011, 5:10 PM
Post #1 of 9 (4704 views)
Shortcut

Total # of climbing gyms currently operating in U.S.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone. Sorry if this has already been answered a thousand times, but I'm looking for a current number. This is for my gym's B-plan and study of how the indoor climbing industry has grown in the last few decades.

Anyone who has details / sources / links that could be helpful, please post with what you're willing to share! Also, if anyone can give me a report on a gym that failed in their neighborhood and the story around it, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance!

jae8908

Oct 24, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #2 of 9 (4632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [VeeBs] Total # of climbing gyms currently operating in U.S. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not know the number of gyms in the US. I do however have a gym in my city that closed in the past few years. It was bought out by a man who wanted to open the building as a planet fitness facility. Now the wall portion is just used as storage. Still has the holds and routes on the wall and everything. He just does not see any profit in opening it back up.

VeeBs

Oct 24, 2011, 9:41 PM
Post #3 of 9 (4610 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Total # of climbing gyms currently operating in U.S. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How big a gym was it? Do you remember the name? Did you climb there when it used to be open?

jae8908

Oct 24, 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #4 of 9 (4590 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it was probably about 100'(w) X40'(h) of climbing wall with some overhanging stuff and a span of ceiling that was climbable. The name was Sports Xtreme, inc. I had climbed there once or twice but didn't live in the area at the time that it was open and really hadn't gotten in to climbing at that time either.

VeeBs

Oct 25, 2011, 2:40 PM
Post #5 of 9 (4546 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jae8908] Total # of climbing gyms currently operating in U.S. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, jae - If you happen to learn any details about what happened there that led to closure - or you find out who owned / ran the gym, let me know. We can take it off-line if there's anything sensitive..

I've also learned that two of the Solid Rock licensed gyms closed in the last decade: the Lake Forest, CA and Phoenix, AZ ones. Anyone have the skinny on what happened to them?

I just this following list of operating gyms that's pretty recent:http://www.phoenixrockgym.com/gymlist.htm

They're missing Boulder Rock Club and Movement so I know they've got holes..

Can anyone attest to the accuracy of the rest of this list is or or point out additional holes?

Thanks!

djlachelt

Oct 25, 2011, 5:03 PM
Post #6 of 9 (4514 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

VeeBs wrote:
I just this following list of operating gyms that's pretty recent:
http://www.phoenixrockgym.com/gymlist.htm

They're missing Boulder Rock Club and Movement so I know they've got holes..

Can anyone attest to the accuracy of the rest of this list is or or point out additional holes?

The list at http://indoorclimbing.com/worldgyms.html is generally up to date. It also includes many college and city rec-center walls. Maybe you don't want those, but some of the college ones are available for public use:
* e.g. The Red Barn at Rochester Institute of Technology

Odd that the phoenix list wouldn't have BRC and Movement. It has other holes:
* Central Rock Gym - new in Hadley, CT
* Electric City Rock Gym in Schenectady NY closed, but is still listed

Electric City closed because the rec-center in which they were housed wanted to use the space for something different (or some such issue). So, basically they lost their lease, and then have been unable to find a new suitable location or unable to find financing to get started again.

http://Mountainproject.com/gyms also has a list.

-Jon

(This post was edited by djlachelt on Oct 25, 2011, 5:05 PM)

jae8908

Oct 25, 2011, 5:18 PM
Post #7 of 9 (4507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't remember who owned it but I currently work for the girl who used to run it back then. She now runs the wall at The University of South Alabama. As far as the closure goes, the owner just decided to sell out and the new owner didn't see profit in it or didn't want to keep it open. You can pm me if you want a name for the chick who ran it.

VeeBs

Oct 27, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [djlachelt] Total # of climbing gyms currently operating in U.S. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the scoop, DJ.

To clarify, I'm looking for total number of just for profit - full service climbing gyms. Want to get a list that doesn't have all the universities, rec centers, or fitness facilities with smallish climbing walls.

I want to include something along the lines of, "there are over XXX full service gyms in the US (or US and Canada)" in my B-plan. Would also be nice to see what this number has done over the last few decades..

Thanks,
VB

djlachelt

Oct 28, 2011, 2:27 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

VeeBs wrote:
Thanks for the scoop, DJ.

To clarify, I'm looking for total number of just for profit - full service climbing gyms. Want to get a list that doesn't have all the universities, rec centers, or fitness facilities with smallish climbing walls.
I understand. It is really too bad that the Climbing Wall Association doesn't have this data available; though I can understand the difficulty in maintaining it, since many gyms are not members of the association and have no tangible incentive to have themselves correctly listed... plus, it would have to rely on the owner self categorizing.

In reply to:
Would also be nice to see what this number has done over the last few decades.

Few decades? Laugh 80s = ~0

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook