RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

Marylandclimber

Nov 3, 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #1 of 6 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Which Pad? & Red pointing boulders?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm thinking about buying a crash pad. I do top rope and some trad but I think i wan't to do some bouldering. I'm deciding what pad i should get. I understand the Organic climbing pads are best but I also saw a "Mad Rock Crash Pad." My problem is, I need the cheapest one I can find. Any suggestions?

BTW, how does one redpoint a boulder? when red pointing means leading atleast a 5.12 I think.

(This post was edited by Marylandclimber on Nov 3, 2011, 12:59 AM)

jae8908

Nov 3, 2011, 2:54 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Marylandclimber] Which Pad? & Red pointing boulders? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a crash pad. I do top rope and some trad but I think i wan't to do some bouldering. I'm deciding what pad i should get. I understand the Organic climbing pads are best but I also saw a "Mad Rock Crash Pad." My problem is, I need the cheapest one I can find. Any suggestions?

BTW, how does one redpoint a boulder? when red pointing means leading atleast a 5.12 I think.

I understand wanting a cheaper pad. I've used a couple of mad pads before and while they are still crash pads, they aren't quality built internally. The ones that I have used is ones that our outdoor rec program uses and they were bought new last fall. Been used maybe 6-8 times. I thought that they were pretty good pads until my last trip to hp40 when a friend bought his organic. I could tell a difference in the foam by landing on them side by side. I will also be using a mad pad with a metolius stomp of another friends this weekend so I can let you know after the weekend how the stomp goes compared to the mad pad. Feel free to do what ever you want but my advice is to save up, work an extra day, whatever and order you a good pad. Personally I am ordering a full/half pad combo from organic in January.

As far as red pointing a boulder problem. I guess the terminology would still apply as it would to a route. Personally I say send or sent instead of redpoint when I'm bouldering but as I understand they both mean to successfully climb a problem/route clean after previously working on the climb.

rtwilli4

Nov 3, 2011, 4:12 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Marylandclimber wrote:

Redpointing has nothing to do with the grade of a climb. If you've fallen on a route before and then send it (no falls on lead) then you've redpointed the route. I've redpointed 5.9, 5.10, 5.11, 5.12...

tH1e-swiN1e

Nov 3, 2011, 2:09 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2914 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rtwilli4] Which Pad? & Red pointing boulders? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh boy more noobs dropping lingo they dont understand. Knowing the terminology doesnt make you a better or cooler climber. If you got to the top just say you climbed it. As for the crash pad. Cheaper is NOT better.

Marylandclimber

Nov 3, 2011, 7:54 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2879 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Which Pad? & Red pointing boulders? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Go away

cammando982

Dec 17, 2011, 8:49 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2507 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey i was in the same position when i was looking for a pad. I didn't have a lot of money to spend on an organic which i would of loved to so i started to look around. I ended up with a black diamond pad which was under $200. I agree that cheaper isn't better but for the price of the pad i have and how many times i have fallen on it I'm not complaining. The pad is a 4foot by 3 foot so its a little small but works great and i would recommend it for anyone.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook