RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

lalavina

Nov 2, 2011, 8:36 PM
Post #1 of 10 (7427 views)
Shortcut

Petzl full body harness for pregnant women
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My full body harness is hurting me!!! I have to sort of unweigh the rope and harness once I get to the top of the climb so I can move the leg loops away from my crotch, then sit on it to be lowered down. Otherwise, it kinda pinches the crotch and it hurts! I'm seriously considering to start wearing pads to protect my crotch area. How do you ladies fit your harness to make it comfortable in that area?? If you could attach a picture of you in your harness so I see how high the leg loops are on the thighs, that would be awesome. I feel like I've fitted it to the best fit that I could. It feels fine when I'm climbing, it only hurts when I am being lowered down. Thanks!

(This post was edited by lalavina on Nov 3, 2011, 2:16 PM)

kickasssoprano

Nov 3, 2011, 2:34 AM
Post #2 of 10 (7357 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lalavina] Petzl full body harness for pregnant women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have no advice for you- but I wanted to say kudos for still climbing. My pelvic area is so sore, I can't imagine putting on a harness, much less climbing anything. I think my baby is a giant- I feel like I'm carrying a ball of cement in my uterus :(

clee03m

Nov 3, 2011, 2:12 PM
Post #3 of 10 (7335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi, I have that harness and have used it for two pregnancies. I am not sure why you are having so much trouble with it. I am a bit of a techno-ditz, and don't know how to post pictures on here, but are you having your harness fit you pretty snuggly before you climb? I had to do some major adjusting when I first got the harness. The leg loops are tight around my legs pretty much right next to crotch area. When I lower or rap, there is no movement of the straps on my legs or much else. When you wear this correctly, I believe the most of the weight is applied to the 'waist' band which actually sits above your belly. I feel the most pressure around the back where the band sits which is pretty uncomfortable but manageable. I have done hanging belays and multiple pitch raps on this harness, so I know this harness isn't suppose to cause you pain. If you are loosely fitting this harness, try tightening it all around for a really snug fit. Let me know how it goes! Good luck!

BTW, I had to stop climbing at the end of my second trimester both pregnancies (pelvic instability and pain), so I can't really help you if you are experiencing new pain later in your pregnancy.

smallclimber

Nov 5, 2011, 6:36 PM
Post #4 of 10 (7312 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The technology challenge might also stump me, but I'm going to try and attach two (no idea how people actually get the image to show in their posts). This is not the Petzl harness but a CAMP one, though I think they are all pretty similar.
While not exactly comfortable, mine did not pinch in any way. The worse bit was the back strap (accross middle back) which was a pressure point when being lowered, rapelling or lowering someone much heavier than myself. I never really even had a top rope fall on it, if I did I think that might have been the bit which hurt a bit. Otherwise I felt it did the job and even at 8 month did not put any pressure on my tummy.
One photo of me climbing at the Gunks at about 6 months and one of me being lowered at about 8 months (I think this was the last time I climbed in the pregnancy).
Good luck with the pregnancy and climbing. Try to keep going as long as you can, with the best intentions in the world it becomes even harder afterwards.....
Attachments: June and mum and dad 008 small.jpg (73.6 KB)
  Pregnancy! 008 (2).jpg (85.0 KB)

aimeerose

Dec 15, 2011, 5:59 AM
Post #5 of 10 (7085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi-
It does take a bit of fiddling to make it work. You can see pics of me at my blog: www.mamaclimbs.com

I like to wear the leg loops fairly high. I don't rappel in my full body harness, but it never bothers me in the crotch region when I'm hanging or lowering. I do lean way back when i lower and kind of keep my legs apart (I joke that I want to deliver that way!)

Edited to add a photo. No comments on how big by butt looks!

(This post was edited by aimeerose on Dec 15, 2011, 4:47 PM)
Attachments: lowering_rc.jpg (79.5 KB)

clee03m

Dec 15, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #6 of 10 (7064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aimeerose] Petzl full body harness for pregnant women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Come to think of it, I think my harness is Camp as well. It was the cheapest one I could find for 50 bucks.

wendella

Jan 11, 2012, 1:24 AM
Post #7 of 10 (6886 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Petzl full body harness for pregnant women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So which do people recommend, the Camp or the Petzl? They both look pretty friggin uncomfortable - would it have killed them to pad the webbing?

smallclimber

Jan 11, 2012, 3:59 PM
Post #8 of 10 (6874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wendella] Petzl full body harness for pregnant women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The camp is about half the price which was the decider for me. Realistically you are only going to be using it for a few months and probably not planning on any 12 hour multi pitch epics, so although comfort is not great its not too bad. I didn't like hanging, being lowered or rapelling in mine. Not much you can do about being lowered, but try to avoid hanging belays and for longer climbs chose those with walks offs if possible.
Good luck!

clee03m

Jan 11, 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #9 of 10 (6854 views)
Shortcut

Re: [smallclimber] Petzl full body harness for pregnant women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I also went with the cheapest option. I did hanging belays and multipitch in mine. Not too comfy but definitely doable. Now I'm thinking about selling mine. I wonder if there are any climbers out there willing to trust a second hand harness with their and their baby's lives.... Now I put it that way, may be not...

interair

Jan 28, 2012, 3:39 PM
Post #10 of 10 (6665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Petzl full body harness for pregnant women [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a good option.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook