Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
The Elephant in the Room
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

 
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All


dolphja


Nov 3, 2011, 1:57 PM
Post #1 of 38 (5036 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 18, 2001
Posts: 298

The Elephant in the Room
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

that noone really wants to talk about

http://trone.acnnewswire.com/...-specialist-five-ten

but it seems supertopo's board is getting plenty of hits

http://www.supertopo.com/...amp;utm-medium=email

i do have a negative outlook on this. that's my $.02


camhead


Nov 3, 2011, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 38 (5005 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 9, 2001
Posts: 20656

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dude, this site has a strict "don't talk about anything relevant" policy. I thought you knew?

As for the adidas buy-out, I really don't care, don't see it necessarily being any worse for 5.10 than BD's going public was bad for them.


jomagam


Nov 3, 2011, 2:37 PM
Post #3 of 38 (4992 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 9, 2008
Posts: 364

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone else surprised at the price ? 25M seems pretty low nowadays. Hopefully they have a big performance based earnout.


(This post was edited by jomagam on Nov 3, 2011, 2:39 PM)


johnwesely


Nov 3, 2011, 3:04 PM
Post #4 of 38 (4933 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [jomagam] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

jomagam wrote:
Anyone else surprised at the price ? 25M seems pretty low nowadays. Hopefully they have a big performance based earnout.

Seems pretty high to me.


dolphja


Nov 3, 2011, 3:14 PM
Post #5 of 38 (4921 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 18, 2001
Posts: 298

Re: [camhead] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

camhead wrote:
Dude, this site has a strict "don't talk about anything relevant" policy. I thought you knew?

As for the adidas buy-out, I really don't care, don't see it necessarily being any worse for 5.10 than BD's going public was bad for them.

yea i didn't wanna just state the obvious to people. there are a select few who actually give a crap. i'm just concerned about the QA that's going to inevitably follow. i've never found a pair of adidas in my size, 14, anyway and 5.10 is the only shoe company i know of that makes them in my size. yea there's a couple things i would change regarding the shoes that they do carry... but COME ON!!!! Adidas? i see a downward spiral with this one Pirate


johnwesely


Nov 3, 2011, 3:54 PM
Post #6 of 38 (4883 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 12, 2006
Posts: 5343

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

This really isn't an elephant in the room. It is just not that interesting.


notapplicable


Nov 3, 2011, 3:59 PM
Post #7 of 38 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17752

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Five Ten is pretty much all I wear and I'm not worried.

It could actually work out for the better. These last few years they have been expanding and diversifying their shoe line, while their presence in shops has steadily declined. Thats not exactly an ideal situation for a relatively expensive product that requires a precise fit. I'm hoping that their affiliation with Adidas will get their shoes back on the shelves.


notapplicable


Nov 3, 2011, 4:00 PM
Post #8 of 38 (4871 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17752

Re: [johnwesely] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

johnwesely wrote:
This really isn't an elephant in the room. It is just not that interesting.

True story


JimTitt


Nov 3, 2011, 4:01 PM
Post #9 of 38 (4867 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 7, 2008
Posts: 954

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I think its brilliant, yet another Bavarian company taking over the world! Seriously though, one of my climbing partners is a designer for Adidas so maybe hell make 5.10s that fit my feet and well get freebies worth wearing instead of the lurid shit hes been producing!


damienclimber


Nov 3, 2011, 6:53 PM
Post #10 of 38 (4746 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 13, 2011
Posts: 313

Re: [JimTitt] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

JimTitt wrote:
I think its brilliant, yet another Bavarian company taking over the world! Seriously though, one of my climbing partners is a designer for Adidas so maybe hell make 5.10s that fit my feet and well get freebies worth wearing instead of the lurid shit hes been producing!

Bavarian beer ! time for weiners.

more likely 5.10 will not be tender climbing shoes!

corporate restructure to follow, sorry guys Pirate


tscampbell


Nov 3, 2011, 8:18 PM
Post #11 of 38 (4698 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 29, 2009
Posts: 37

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

well this is rather big, but one thing I can say that should ease anyone's mind that is at worry: when have you bought a German product that wasn't freaking great? Beer, cars, firearms, camping gear, hell you name it!


Partner j_ung


Nov 4, 2011, 4:44 AM
Post #12 of 38 (4592 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (3 ratings)  
Can't Post

I wear mostly 5.10 shoes. Have for a long time. And I think this will affect my climbing precisely zero percent. It wasn't the elephant in the room. It just isn't all that important.


granite_grrl


Nov 4, 2011, 4:57 AM
Post #13 of 38 (4579 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Posts: 14579

Re: [j_ung] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't wear fiveten shoes, so it still won't really effect me, but I do fear that their climbing shoes will soon start being made in China in stead of the good ol' USofA.


sungam


Nov 4, 2011, 4:59 AM
Post #14 of 38 (4579 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 26477

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

I think this could have any effect. The shoes could get better with the higher funding, they could take risks and produce more interesting shoes with their extra financial security etc. etc.

Adidas may just leave them to do their own thing.

Adidas could turn 5.10 into rebok climbing shoes 2.0 and they could turn into utter shit.

I am hoping for the first one. Still tempted to buy a couple pairs of Anasazis just in case though...


dolphja


Nov 4, 2011, 6:31 AM
Post #15 of 38 (4531 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 18, 2001
Posts: 298

Re: [tscampbell] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

tscampbell wrote:
well this is rather big, but one thing I can say that should ease anyone's mind that is at worry: when have you bought a German product that wasn't freaking great? Beer, cars, firearms, camping gear, hell you name it!

point well taken. Cool

i'm just not into seeing a bunch of signature shoes, signature shirts or other garbage. getting sucked into a large company just sets off alarm bells in my head. same thing struck Prana, BD and anybody else who went big like that. & i damn sure don't wanna see 6 months down the road, some 300 lb fatty trading in their North Face jacket for the "FASHIONABLE" Five Ten ... WHATEVER. you want fashion, go buy some of the tactical 5.11 crap. Mad


notapplicable


Nov 4, 2011, 6:46 AM
Post #16 of 38 (4519 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 31, 2006
Posts: 17752

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
tscampbell wrote:
well this is rather big, but one thing I can say that should ease anyone's mind that is at worry: when have you bought a German product that wasn't freaking great? Beer, cars, firearms, camping gear, hell you name it!

point well taken. Cool

i'm just not into seeing a bunch of signature shoes, signature shirts or other garbage. getting sucked into a large company just sets off alarm bells in my head. same thing struck Prana, BD and anybody else who went big like that. & i damn sure don't wanna see 6 months down the road, some 300 lb fatty trading in their North Face jacket for the "FASHIONABLE" Five Ten ... WHATEVER. you want fashion, go buy some of the tactical 5.11 crap. Mad

So you're worried it won't be as cool to pimp Five Ten gear once the civilians start wearing it?

Ok...*YAWN*...grievance noted.


hyhuu


Nov 4, 2011, 6:52 AM
Post #17 of 38 (4511 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 25, 2001
Posts: 491

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Don't need no Five Ten to climb five tens :)


Jooler


Nov 4, 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #18 of 38 (4376 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 21, 2010
Posts: 171

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Vanity Fair has owned La Sportiva for ages now and they are still good?


Partner robdotcalm


Nov 4, 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #19 of 38 (4362 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 31, 2002
Posts: 1023

Re: [Jooler] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Jooler wrote:
Vanity Fair has owned La Sportiva for ages now and they are still good?

I don't know. I've worn Sportiva Mythos ever since they came out many years ago. One buys the Mythos tight, and they stretch nicely. I wear 40.5 size. The last pair I bought a few months ago were seriously mis-sized. When they stretched out after wearing them a few times, the L shoe was at least half a size bigger than 40.5 and the R shoe, about 1.5 sizes bigger. I plan on taking them back to the retailer.

Rob.calm


Partner j_ung


Nov 4, 2011, 1:38 PM
Post #20 of 38 (4327 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 21, 2003
Posts: 18687

Re: [dolphja] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

dolphja wrote:
tscampbell wrote:
well this is rather big, but one thing I can say that should ease anyone's mind that is at worry: when have you bought a German product that wasn't freaking great? Beer, cars, firearms, camping gear, hell you name it!

point well taken. Cool

i'm just not into seeing a bunch of signature shoes, signature shirts or other garbage. getting sucked into a large company just sets off alarm bells in my head. same thing struck Prana, BD and anybody else who went big like that. & i damn sure don't wanna see 6 months down the road, some 300 lb fatty trading in their North Face jacket for the "FASHIONABLE" Five Ten ... WHATEVER. you want fashion, go buy some of the tactical 5.11 crap. Mad

Yeah, but Prana and BD are still essentially the same from it. BD especially has changed virtually not at all.


jt512


Nov 4, 2011, 8:46 PM
Post #21 of 38 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 11, 2001
Posts: 21887

Re: [granite_grrl] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
I don't wear fiveten shoes, so it still won't really effect me, but I do fear that their climbing shoes will soon start being made in China in stead of the good ol' USofA.

I think they've been manufacturing them in China (or Vietnam), anyway.

Jay


marc801


Nov 5, 2011, 8:46 AM
Post #22 of 38 (4154 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Posts: 2689

Re: [jt512] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
granite_grrl wrote:
I don't wear fiveten shoes, so it still won't really effect me, but I do fear that their climbing shoes will soon start being made in China in stead of the good ol' USofA.

I think they've been manufacturing them in China (or Vietnam), anyway.
According to FiveTen, all their manufacturing is in the US.


bearbreeder


Nov 5, 2011, 9:23 AM
Post #23 of 38 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 1, 2009
Posts: 1960

Re: [marc801] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

marc801 wrote:
According to FiveTen, all their manufacturing is in the US.

nope ... their approach shoes have been made overseas ...

go here

http://www.mec.ca/...h.x=0&search.y=0


(This post was edited by bearbreeder on Nov 5, 2011, 9:25 AM)


rmsusa


Nov 5, 2011, 9:33 AM
Post #24 of 38 (4132 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 24, 2004
Posts: 1017

Re: [marc801] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
According to FiveTen, all their manufacturing is in the US.

Climbing shoes only, and those just recently moved back from Korea (uppers). Bike and outdoor action shoes are made in China.


petsfed


Nov 5, 2011, 9:59 AM
Post #25 of 38 (4118 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8585

Re: [sungam] The Elephant in the Room [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Adidas could turn 5.10 into rebok climbing shoes 2.0 and they could turn into utter shit.

A friend of mine still has his reebok climbing shoes, and still swears by them. Reebok failed as a climbing shoe company because climbers everywhere said "pfft, aren't they that basketball shoe company?" and never bought any.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$39.15 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)
$6.26 (10% off)
$34.16 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook