Nov 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://news.yahoo.com/...ipops-194620241.html

In reply to:
Authorities and doctors are warning parents who want to avoid chicken pox vaccines for their children that a new mail-order scheme to share lollipops licked by children infected with the disease as a way to create immunity in their kids is not only unsafe but illegal.

Have people always been this stupid, or are we actually getting dumber?

lena_chita

Nov 7, 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:
Authorities and doctors are warning parents who want to avoid chicken pox vaccines for their children that a new mail-order scheme to share lollipops licked by children infected with the disease as a way to create immunity in their kids is not only unsafe but illegal.

There seems to be proliferation of willful ignorance. Which is worse than just stupidity, IMO.

dr_feelgood

Nov 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [veganclimber] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

I'm not arguing the stupidity of this, but as far as I remember, chickenpox immunization is not routinely given in childhood.

The chickenpox parties are a hoot as well.

lena_chita

Nov 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

I'm not arguing the stupidity of this, but as far as I remember, chickenpox immunization is not routinely given in childhood.

Actually, you are wrong. Currently recommended schedule is a dose in infancy ( sometimes combined with MMR into MMRV vaccine) and then a booster later, at 12-13yo. (I was just reviewing my son's immunization records for school a couple of weeks ago, trust me. Tongue )

Maybe more than one booster, I think a booster is also recommended for elderly people...

dr_feelgood wrote:

Seems to be an American thing. I never heard of them until I came to the US.

Not to veer this thread into the wrong direction, but it sure does seem to me that as more serious diseases get well under control with the vaccines, there is a tendency to develop vaccines against less and less "serious" diseases, and then drum up support for those vaccines.

Don't get me wrong, even one death would feel like one too many, if it happens to be your child who dies from a disease.

But there is something like 100 or less deaths per year in the US, attributed to chicken pox, and something like 10K hospitalizations annually.

Compare this to 5000/year deaths from food-related illnesses, and over 300K hospitalizations for the same, and all of a sudden it seems a lot less risky to have your child play with a chicken-pox infected friend than it is to give him a lollipop that was sucked by someone at some point and then put in the envelope to be mailed.

Partner j_ung

Nov 7, 2011, 1:15 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lena_chita wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

I just heard of this the other day, as well. Initially, I was shocked, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a fairly rational thing to do.

blondgecko

Nov 7, 2011, 2:03 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

I just heard of this the other day, as well. Initially, I was shocked, but the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like a fairly rational thing to do.

Before the advent of the varicella vaccine chickenpox parties were an excellent idea, since chickenpox is far more dangerous if caught for the first time as an adult. Now that the vaccine exists, though... not so much. While a vaccine is not zero-risk, it's still far less risky than a full-blown infection.

styndall

Nov 7, 2011, 4:47 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1458 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
j_ung wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

Before the advent of the varicella vaccine chickenpox parties were an excellent idea, since chickenpox is far more dangerous if caught for the first time as an adult. Now that the vaccine exists, though... not so much. While a vaccine is not zero-risk, it's still far less risky than a full-blown infection.

I definitely would have preferred a vaccine to having the chicken pox. That disease sucked, and I wasn't even all that old when I got them.

curt

Nov 7, 2011, 6:00 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

Republicans took back control of the House in 2010. Draw your own conclusions. Cool

Curt

Partner rrrADAM

Nov 8, 2011, 3:59 AM
Post #9 of 15 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

This'll be popular in the South... Especially after someone "tells" Michelle Bachman about it, and she repeats it as accepted scientific fact.

Should tell the parents that they only work for their kids AFTER the activate the virus by special enzymes in their own adult anus, since they have already developed an immunity.

damienclimber

Nov 8, 2011, 12:56 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1402 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

Snoppy has a chickenpox party , didn't he give you a lolipop?

snoopy138

Nov 8, 2011, 9:05 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

damienclimber wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

Snoppy has a chickenpox party , didn't he give you a lolipop?
'
whoo! that's me!

lena_chita

Nov 9, 2011, 5:21 AM
Post #12 of 15 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blondgecko wrote:
j_ung wrote:
lena_chita wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:

I agree that before vaccine it would have been preferable to expose your child when you KNEW you were exposing him/her and have a timeline of expecting the symptoms at certain time and not making any major travel plans for that time frame, for example, instead of just being hit with it randomly at the time when you might have made some plans that would have been a pain to cancel.

I'm just saying that I've never heard of chickenpox parties as a kid. Maybe because kids were more likely to be in group situations when I was growing up, and so just caught the chickenpox randomly anyway, without having to actually plan the exposure? I know it went through my class in elementary school when I was a kid, with more than half of the class getting it (and the rest had it earlier).

petsfed

Nov 9, 2011, 9:28 AM
Post #13 of 15 (1326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CSB time:

When I was a child, my mother had opted to include me in the clinical testing of the current chickenpox vaccine. Before, however, I got the first injection, I caught chickenpox from one of my friends.

/Cool Story Bro

TarHeelEMT

Nov 30, 2011, 2:49 PM
Post #14 of 15 (1199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Among the many ironies here is that varicella is contracted by inhalation of droplets. Sharing lollipops via mail isn't likely to do a damn thing.

TarHeelEMT

Nov 30, 2011, 3:44 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Finally, an alternative to those dangerous vaccines [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
veganclimber wrote:

In reply to:

This'll be popular in the South... Especially after someone "tells" Michelle Bachman about it, and she repeats it as accepted scientific fact.

Should tell the parents that they only work for their kids AFTER the activate the virus by special enzymes in their own adult anus, since they have already developed an immunity.

Too bad for you, most southern states have higher vaccination rates than California.
http://science.education.nih.gov/...2_vaccines-states.pdf

Forums : Community : The Soap Box

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook