Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Rufsen

Nov 10, 2011, 8:42 AM
Post #51 of 94 (5601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ceebo] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
Clmbing better after such a break?, sounds a bit far fetched. More logical to be a result of muscles having time to fully carb store i nthe case of bad diet.

Muscles fully "carb store" in about 24 hours.

Jay

So regardless of diet and activity, anybody can fully carb load in 24 hours?. Cool.

Not regardless of diet and exercise. But yes, glycogen stores can be brought back to normal levels in 24 hours.

sungam

Nov 10, 2011, 9:53 AM
Post #52 of 94 (5598 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Rufsen] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:
Clmbing better after such a break?, sounds a bit far fetched. More logical to be a result of muscles having time to fully carb store i nthe case of bad diet.

Jay

So regardless of diet and activity, anybody can fully carb load in 24 hours?. Cool.

Not regardless of diet and exercise. But yes, glycogen stores can be brought back to normal levels in 24 hours.
He did note that it was in the case of a bad diet.

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
F**k training. Just climb.
Meh, while the most enjoyable thing to do would be to just go climbing all the time, that's really not a realistic situation for everybody.

I finish class at 5 every day. It is already dark. There is no way I can go climbing, even if it wasn't raining (almost always is). I can't take the whole weekend off, either, I have simulations I gotta write code for.

So instead of climbing once a week and only being able to do okay-ish routes, I train 3 times a week so that I can make the most out of that one day (or sometimes if I am ahead with my code, 2 days) a week that I can actually get out.

So no, don't F**k training.

Edit: to fix spelling.

(This post was edited by sungam on Nov 10, 2011, 3:26 PM)

ceebo

Nov 10, 2011, 2:39 PM
Post #53 of 94 (5574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (2 ratings)  
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

He did not that it was in the case of a bad diet.

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
Meh, while the most enjoyable thing to do would be to just go climbing all the time, that's really not a realistic situation for everybody.

I finish class at 5 every day. It is already dark. There is no way I can go climbing, even if it wasn't raining (almost always is). I can't take the whole weekend off, either, I have simulations I gotta write code for.

So instead of climbing once a week and only being able to do okay-ish routes, I train 3 times a week so that I can make the most out of that one day (or sometimes if I am ahead with my code, 2 days) a week that I can actually get out.

Im glad somebody payed attention to jays selective bolding. The world is not so bad after all.

Still not sure why people think doing nothing is the same as using a hang board etc. They lazy much?.

(This post was edited by ceebo on Nov 10, 2011, 2:41 PM)

tH1e-swiN1e

Nov 10, 2011, 9:12 PM
Post #54 of 94 (5539 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

I have a full time job and dont get off til 5 myself. I boulder/lead 3-4 times a week. Climbing indoors isnt trianing, its just climbing on plastic. Real training (campus board pyramids, hang board workouts etc) is training.............

So yes f**k training, just climb.

redlude97

Nov 10, 2011, 9:19 PM
Post #55 of 94 (5534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tH1e-swiN1e] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

I have a full time job and dont get off til 5 myself. I boulder/lead 3-4 times a week. Climbing indoors isnt trianing, its just climbing on plastic. Real training (campus board pyramids, hang board workouts etc) is training.............

You have not read the SCC and do not understand real training.

sungam

Nov 11, 2011, 3:36 PM
Post #56 of 94 (5487 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

Well, if you enjoy just doing routes in the gym, that's fine. I don't really get kicks from doing routes in the gym, so while I am there I train. I get about the same enjoyment from just doing routes indoors as I do from doing planned training indoors. I don't consider it "going climbing".

SylviaSmile

Nov 11, 2011, 6:06 PM
Post #57 of 94 (5461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't it be both, though? I mean, it's training BY climbing, right? So not rock climbing properly speaking, but a lot of the same movements, which you would take full joy in outside, you can still relish indoors. I guess this is just my perspective as somebody who's considering getting a climbing gym membership after strenuously AVOIDING any other kind of gym membership or regimented workout routine. I just like to go and play at the climbing gym, and I know it will translate into more fun outdoors, when I'm able to send harder.

redlude97

Nov 11, 2011, 6:15 PM
Post #58 of 94 (5456 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SylviaSmile] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Can't it be both, though? I mean, it's training BY climbing, right? So not rock climbing properly speaking, but a lot of the same movements, which you would take full joy in outside, you can still relish indoors. I guess this is just my perspective as somebody who's considering getting a climbing gym membership after strenuously AVOIDING any other kind of gym membership or regimented workout routine. I just like to go and play at the climbing gym, and I know it will translate into more fun outdoors, when I'm able to send harder.
Playing at the gym is a waste of money if your goal is to be able to send harder outside. Gym climbing is great, but a training program applied to indoor climbing will show much more significant gains for when it actually counts.

SylviaSmile

Nov 11, 2011, 6:21 PM
Post #59 of 94 (5452 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redlude97] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe so, though maybe it depends the level at which you're climbing. I'm pretty new at it, so I know any gym climbing > no climbing. I suppose it also depends how serious and goal-oriented you are about it, as Annie (I think) pointed out above. I'm just grateful I can do it at all! I know some friends with physical impairments, etc., or just way below a fitness level that would allow it . . . so yeah, I'm basically about having fun with it, and not putting pressure on myself. And is it really a waste of money if I like what I'm doing? : )

redlude97

Nov 11, 2011, 6:34 PM
Post #60 of 94 (5442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:
Maybe so, though maybe it depends the level at which you're climbing. I'm pretty new at it, so I know any gym climbing > no climbing. I suppose it also depends how serious and goal-oriented you are about it, as Annie (I think) pointed out above. I'm just grateful I can do it at all! I know some friends with physical impairments, etc., or just way below a fitness level that would allow it . . . so yeah, I'm basically about having fun with it, and not putting pressure on myself. And is it really a waste of money if I like what I'm doing? : )
Like I said, it is a waste of money if your goal is to send harder outside. If you are going to drop a bunch of cash every month(as I do), I better get my money's worth, and that means using the climbing gym as a training tool for climbing outside. Unfocused "fun" climbing is great if that is your end goal, but climbing slightly better outside(or worse) is a side effect. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't know about you, but training hard can also be fun and rewarding, and there is no greater "fun" than crushing outside. It makes the months of work in the winter worth it when spring rolls around, regardless of the level that you start at.

shockabuku

Nov 11, 2011, 6:48 PM
Post #61 of 94 (5432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SylviaSmile wrote:

Go to the climbing gym, have fun, challenge yourself, socialize a little, watch how other people climb the things you're trying to do. You'll get out of it what you want. If you're a beginner, you'll undoubtedly get at least a little better.

tH1e-swiN1e

Nov 11, 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #62 of 94 (5394 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

Ive had several different trainers and been on several teams and never once have we done anything but climb routes and work problems. I personally climb with several pros who do the same thing. Those 14 crushers must not understand training either.

redlude97

Nov 11, 2011, 10:47 PM
Post #63 of 94 (5391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

Ive had several different trainers and been on several teams and never once have we done anything but climb routes and work problems. I personally climb with several pros who do the same thing. Those 14 crushers must not understand training either.
You can train and never touch a hangboard or campus board. I train and all I do is climb routes and boulder. That is what you don't seem to understand. I bet a lot of your friends are training as well, whether they call it that or not. Do you really think that a guy who comes into a gym and warms up on a few V1-2's and then spends the next 2 hours working a single v6 is the same as the guy who does a pyramid of 8 V1's, 6 V2's, 4 V3's, 2 V4's, and 1-2 V5/6's followed by 30 minutes of traversing? One of those climbers is training, and one is simply pulling on plastic.

damienclimber

Nov 19, 2011, 12:10 AM
Post #64 of 94 (5245 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

It would be a nice if the books were donated to climbers to start their fires at campsites! Pirate

shockabuku

Nov 19, 2011, 8:04 PM
Post #65 of 94 (5204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
redlude97 wrote:
tH1e-swiN1e wrote:
sungam wrote:
Rufsen wrote:
ceebo wrote:
jt512 wrote:
ceebo wrote:

Jay

tH1e-swiN1e wrote:

You can train and never touch a hangboard or campus board. I train and all I do is climb routes and boulder. That is what you don't seem to understand. I bet a lot of your friends are training as well, whether they call it that or not. Do you really think that a guy who comes into a gym and warms up on a few V1-2's and then spends the next 2 hours working a single v6 is the same as the guy who does a pyramid of 8 V1's, 6 V2's, 4 V3's, 2 V4's, and 1-2 V5/6's followed by 30 minutes of traversing? One of those climbers is training, and one is simply pulling on plastic.

I'm anti-training. My wife just made cookies.

flesh

Nov 22, 2011, 5:39 PM
Post #66 of 94 (5132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's nothing wrong with selling books that help people get more out of what they love. Since when did profit become such an evil in so many peoples eyes?

All of Doug's strategies have been proven to work. Go to youtube and search Aaron Shamy climbing, this is one of his original students. He was training young guns at my climbing gym when I first started climbing, I can think of at least 3 or 4 he trained that we're climbing 5.13d/14a at a young age after only a few years climbing in most cases.

He has excellent technique and great movement, I saw him at his peak. He's a great teacher and much more thoughtful than most climbers about all the little details.

I've always held him in high esteem and haven't doubted him. I'm not sure why he decided to call one of my established v12's a v8, it would have been nice if he had apologized in some way.

For those of you debating the best way to train with little time, I believe the best way is by building a small wall, only 4 feet wide, overhanging, 8 feet tall is enough. Put campus rungs on it and system board training holds and small footholds. You can train all of the climbing muscles this way head to toe.

Campus rungs for pure power. You can use various symtem holds to train different grips and use the small foot holds and switch up foot positions to train the different muscles groups. You can up/down climb for endurance.

damienclimber

Nov 23, 2011, 2:27 AM
Post #67 of 94 (5092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flesh] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (4 ratings)  
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
There's nothing wrong with selling books that help people get more out of what they love. Since when did profit become such an evil in so many peoples eyes?

All of Doug's strategies have been proven to work. Go to youtube and search Aaron Shamy climbing, this is one of his original students. He was training young guns at my climbing gym when I first started climbing, I can think of at least 3 or 4 he trained that we're climbing 5.13d/14a at a young age after only a few years climbing in most cases.

He has excellent technique and great movement, I saw him at his peak. He's a great teacher and much more thoughtful than most climbers about all the little details.

I've always held him in high esteem and haven't doubted him. I'm not sure why he decided to call one of my established v12's a v8, it would have been nice if he had apologized in some way.

For those of you debating the best way to train with little time, I believe the best way is by building a small wall, only 4 feet wide, overhanging, 8 feet tall is enough. Put campus rungs on it and system board training holds and small footholds. You can train all of the climbing muscles this way head to toe.

Campus rungs for pure power. You can use various symtem holds to train different grips and use the small foot holds and switch up foot positions to train the different muscles groups. You can up/down climb for endurance.

The problem is you can't just get better at climbing just by reading his books.

Most great climbers and athletes combine training and natural genetics.

billcoe_

Nov 23, 2011, 9:27 PM
Post #68 of 94 (5046 views)
Shortcut

Re: [damienclimber] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

teo wrote:
Forgive my ignorance if this is something obvious, but what is the 'rockprodigy' program? Can't seem to find anything conclusive via google.

-Teo
Currently saved as an article here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ockprodigy__258.html
This is highly worth reading and on topic. I'd like to also thank Douglashunter (and several of the strong posters on this thread as well) for his contributions here and to the general knowledge climbers have on the subject.

Teo, check out rockprodigys article in the link. Well worthwhile. And remember, the #1 rule of training is to NOT GET INJURED!!!!! Everything else follows that rule.

The Self-Coached Climber book is available here: http://www.amazon.com/...322083584&sr=8-1

DouglasHunter

Nov 30, 2011, 5:11 PM
Post #69 of 94 (4862 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
T I'm not sure why he decided to call one of my established v12's a v8, it would have been nice if he had apologized in some way.

Flesh, Hey I just saw this. My calling that BP V8 was an honest mistake on my part, later in the thread I was corrected by someone who explained that the problem in question was not the one I thought it was. Sorry about that, it was totally my bad.

elcapinyoazz

Nov 30, 2011, 11:52 PM
Post #70 of 94 (4832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [DouglasHunter] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This whole premise, "getting better without training" is a rhetorical/semantics game. You redefine "training" to mean whatever you want it to mean so that your method doesn't fit within the definiton, and voila...you are training but not "training".

Whether it is all on paper and structured to the last repetition, or fun-based non-structured, simply putting in time IS practice which IS a form of training.
The OP's Title could be better constructed to represent what he actually advocates...which is training without a lot of structure and planning.

flesh

Dec 1, 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #71 of 94 (4826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elcapinyoazz] Getting Better Without Training [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I noticed in this thread some of you we're discussing carbo loading etc. I don't claim to know anything about this stuff.

In a recent climbing mag, can't remember which, a nutritionist of sorts was praising this stuff http://pacifichealthlabs.com/

I thought, why not? FYI, I don't know any of these people.

I bought the gel and the during and after drink mixes. I've used it religiously for 2 months now. Compared to whatever I was doing in the past I can say it definately has made a difference.

The main difference I've noticed is that I can climb closer to my limit every other day and that I don't have to take as much time off due to feeling run down. I just try stuff and see if it's a noticeable inprovement and this stuff is for sure.

Normally I climb every other day and ever couple weeks I have to take two days off because I'm run down. Every four months I take off 2 weeks fyi, just to heal tendons. Now, I never feel like I need the two days rests and can climb harder longer.

redlude97

Dec 1, 2011, 12:27 AM
Post #72 of 94 (4820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
I noticed in this thread some of you we're discussing carbo loading etc. I don't claim to know anything about this stuff.

In a recent climbing mag, can't remember which, a nutritionist of sorts was praising this stuff http://pacifichealthlabs.com/

I thought, why not? FYI, I don't know any of these people.

I bought the gel and the during and after drink mixes. I've used it religiously for 2 months now. Compared to whatever I was doing in the past I can say it definately has made a difference.

The main difference I've noticed is that I can climb closer to my limit every other day and that I don't have to take as much time off due to feeling run down. I just try stuff and see if it's a noticeable inprovement and this stuff is for sure.

Normally I climb every other day and ever couple weeks I have to take two days off because I'm run down. Every four months I take off 2 weeks fyi, just to heal tendons. Now, I never feel like I need the two days rests and can climb harder longer.
Accelerade has been pretty popular in the cycling community for some time, nothing really that special about it. It is basically gatorade with protein. Some people can't stomach the protein while cycling, but for those that can it can help with energy store replenishment.

flesh

Dec 1, 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #73 of 94 (4816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, I think there are two different types, one is more endurance oriented and one more anaerobic like climbing.

redlude97

Dec 1, 2011, 1:23 AM
Post #74 of 94 (4805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flesh wrote:
Ya, I think there are two different types, one is more endurance oriented and one more anaerobic like climbing.
All their products are just dextrose(glucose) and whey protein. I would rather see sucrose or HFCS, as it has been shown that a combination of sugars is more effective in glycogen replenishment. However, for climbing I don't think these are needed at all. Just eat something sensible before climbing and during, and snack on various healthy items and you will get all the same results.

sungam

Dec 1, 2011, 9:19 AM
Post #75 of 94 (4774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redlude97 wrote:
flesh wrote:
All their products are just dextrose(glucose) and whey protein.
Actually a glance at their website tells me that they unfortunately use sucrose instead of glucose/dextrose. Too bad, really.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook