Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Utah in January
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

neuroticat

Nov 18, 2011, 6:42 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1536 views)
Shortcut

Utah in January  (North_America: United_States: Utah)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi! I will be in Salt Lake City in mid- January. I would like to know what the weather will be like and if there are places to go cragging that time of year? and if so, where?

Thanks!

Tif

marc801

Nov 18, 2011, 9:45 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [neuroticat] Utah in January [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

neuroticat wrote:
Hi! I will be in Salt Lake City in mid- January. I would like to know what the weather will be like and if there are places to go cragging that time of year? and if so, where?
Cold and snowy. On a warm sunny day with no wind, you can probably find something in American Fork Canyon. Big Cottonwood Canyon may be climbable, but a major crap shoot. Good chance of thigh deep snow on the way to the cliff though.

It really depends on your tolerance for cold, and willingness to stay out of avalanche zones.

If it's warm enough, Ibex or Joe's Valley (if you're looking for bouldering only) may be worthwhile. About 2-1/2 to 3 hrs from SLC. Other areas to the south are possibilities as well - the St. George area. About a 5hr drive.

In short, expect to go to one of the gyms if you want to climb then.

Edit to add:If you feed the forum search function with Utah January, you get: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p;sb=score&mh=25

(This post was edited by marc801 on Nov 18, 2011, 9:49 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook